Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2020, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
If drones raise an animal's heart rate that much what does their capturing and tagging animals do? Betting it's worse than a drone.
Neither type of interaction should be fatal on its own, but the general public (which isn't held responsible for the consequences of their behaviour) hasn't shown much interest in tagging live animals. Drones are the vehicle of choice for every wannabee Wild Kingdom producer and in the mad frenzy to be a virtual Marlin Perkins there is the potential to do harm to the real animal kingdom.

01-02-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Devil's advocate here. While drones and vistors can cause problems, I think the wildlife officials had better tread very carefully with this science. If drones raise an animal's heart rate that much what does their capturing and tagging animals do? Betting it's worse than a drone.
Thanks,
barondla
Not sure it's devil's advocate. Knowledge is power. It's about deciding when and where to use things in a reasonable manner. Even throwing rocks at wildlife makes sense in some cases.
If you need to scare bears, drone may be just the thing. If you want to observe bears without scaring them it doesn't seem right.
01-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having seen discussions of this type many times before, I was interested in this sign near the entrance of a part in Florida.
They seem to concentrate on "why" rather than "how".
Attached Images

01-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Just watching the news. They have a park permit lottery. A couple wanting a marriage in a local park were number 18. Hope they get the date they want.

01-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Having seen discussions of this type many times before, I was interested in this sign near the entrance of a part in Florida.
They seem to concentrate on "why" rather than "how".
Sadly that's becoming more common. Too many camera pros are being inconsiderate and lazy when using public parks and wildlife areas for commercial shoots. Glitter, balloons, confetti, drink cups, lens tissues and more are tossed to the side when the shoot is over. As a result one of my favorite wildlife photo spots in the center of the state now requires obtaining a permit before any pay for play photography.
01-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
. As a result one of my favorite wildlife photo spots in the center of the state now requires obtaining a permit before any pay for play photography.
A park near me now has hourly parking in areas only accessible to driving. You better have quarters or a credit card or keep driving. My friend thinks it's because people were sleeping in their homes, I mean cars there.
01-02-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
A park near me now has hourly parking in areas only accessible to driving. You better have quarters or a credit card or keep driving. My friend thinks it's because people were sleeping in their homes, I mean cars there.
...and that's possible. Found out recently that a group of four homeless have taken up camp in my woods. How did we react? Bought them some blankets since it's getting colder and watching for a used bike so they can share transportation for a job.

01-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
How did we react? Bought them some blankets since it's getting colder and watching for a used bike so they can share transportation for a job.

That's not capitalism.