Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Permit Needed for Commercial Wildlife Photography in Northwest Territories [Canada]

"N.W.T. rules around wildlife photography news to Inuvik photographer
CBC CBC il y a 5 heures

A photographer from Inuvik, N.W.T., got an unexpected phone call soon after using his drone to make a video of a grizzly bear and cubs near the community.
After posting the video online, Kristian Binder said he got a call from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and it came with a warning.
"[They] knew that I have the business and they were warning me about possible commercial usage," said Binder, who runs Eighty One Images where he puts photos he's taken on calendars, leggings, mugs and more.
Under regulations established in the territory's Wildlife Act in 2014, anyone who wants to take photos of wildlife for commercial use in the N.W.T. must apply for a wildlife observation permit.
Binder said he was completely unaware of the regulations surrounding wildlife photography.
"It definitely needs to be put out there because I really had no idea," Binder said.
Anything for profit whether it be just going out and watching wildlife, big game species, or going out filming … requires a wildlife observation permit. - Rob Gau, Manager for biodiversity conservation
"This wasn't me playing stupid on it. I just never ever thought that taking photos of wildlife around here would be something that is regulated."
He ended up having a meeting with people from the department to get more clarity on the situation.
Other concerns
He said there were also concerns that his drone could have been too close to the bears, essentially harassing them.
"That wasn't what I was doing," Binder said, adding that he had a good zoom and angle that made it appear the drone was closer than it actually was.
The department also asked Binder to stay away from the landfill with the drone, where the bears are frequenting.
They didn't want the bears to be normalized to the drone because they are already comfortable being around in town."
Rob Gau, manager for biodiversity conservation with the department, said that regardless of drone use, people need to always be aware of the regulations of the Wildlife Act.
"Anything for profit whether it be just going out and watching wildlife, big game species, or going out filming … requires a wildlife observation permit," Gau said.
Gau also said it's illegal to harass wildlife, and "if the animal knows you're there, you're too close."
Binder said he hasn't done much wildlife photography but he hopes to change that. He's applying for his wildlife observation permit which could take a couple of months.
He's hoping to have the permit approved in time to use his photos in creating his 2020 calendar."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wildlife-bear-drone-photography-rules-nwt-1.5227528

07-29-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #2

Tax anything you can...
07-29-2019, 01:36 PM - 9 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having watched a photographer use a drone to herd a moose his way in Algonquin I'm totally against a photographer using drones at all. It's against the law to harass wildlife but who pays for the additional enforcement needed to patrol that? If drone operators pay for an additional 25 conservation officers in Ontario to hire conservation officers to police drones, then I might reluctantly approve, but I've had three occasions where I would have called if there'd been a number to call.

If drone purchasers are willing to put up 2.25 million, added to the cost of their purchases I'm all for drone flying over public land. If that doesn't happen, I'm in favour of flying drones only over private property with the permission of the land owner, and no where on public land, or near property boundaries where the drone camera can be pointed onto adjacent properties. I'd also like to see drone operators licensed and covered by separate drone insurance.

It's incredible how many people take up these kinds of hobbies with no regard for the security of other people and costs incurred for society in general.
07-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Having watched a photographer use a drone to herd a moose his way in Algonquin I'm totally against a photographer using drones at all. It's against the law to harass wildlife but who pays for the additional enforcement needed to patrol that? If drone operators pay for an additional 25 conservation officers in Ontario to hire conservation officers to police drones, then I might reluctantly approve, but I've had three occasions where I would have called if there'd been a number to call.

If drone purchasers are willing to put up 2.25 million, added to the cost of their purchases I'm all for drone flying over public land. If that doesn't happen, I'm in favour of flying drones only over private property with the permission of the land owner, and no where on public land, or near property boundaries where the drone camera can be pointed onto adjacent properties. I'd also like to see drone operators licensed and covered by separate drone insurance.

It's incredible how many people take up these kinds of hobbies with no regard for the security of other people and costs incurred for society in general.
Very well said, Norm. I couldn't agree more.

07-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where I live, hunting and fishing licenses pay for the folks who help manage wilderness areas.

With some of the geofencing capabilities of drones, I wonder when it would be practical to lock out certain areas unless the proper license had been paid...

I’m not sure how I feel about that...

-Eric
07-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Banned

A professional should know what his business is about. So not knowing that with droning there is regulation and fees. .......well not so professional.

5 seconds of looking around....

Drone Laws in the U.S.A. | UAV Coach (2019)
07-29-2019, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Six seconds of looking around...
Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

But I think that’s about the same as five more southern seconds

-Eric

07-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Six seconds of looking around...

But I think that’s about the same as five more southern seconds
Might just be network latency
07-29-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Where I live, hunting and fishing licenses pay for the folks who help manage wilderness areas.

With some of the geofencing capabilities of drones, I wonder when it would be practical to lock out certain areas unless the proper license had been paid...

I’m not sure how I feel about that...

-Eric
They've now been banned in Algonquin park so at least for me, my worries are over. I still think I should be able to buy a jammer that will crash them if they come near my property, but hey, that's a whole other level of control.
07-29-2019, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Might just be network latency
If time is money, then 6 Canadian seconds are only worth 4.56 US seconds.
Imagine the outcry if an American dentist hired a bush pilot to fly him around the Arctic looking for bears to shoot.
07-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Permits are required for commercial photography national parks in the US. No idea which states require them for state parks.

Drones are not allowed in National Parks in the US and a lot of state parks do not allow them either. In 2014 a Dutch tourist lost a drone in Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone National Park. Cost him a lot of money in fines and international travel for his court date. Drone is still in there.
07-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Drones around wildlife is pure stupidity verging on evil. These idiots brought these regulations upon themselves.
07-29-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They've now been banned in Algonquin park so at least for me, my worries are over. I still think I should be able to buy a jammer that will crash them if they come near my property, but hey, that's a whole other level of control.
I live in a nice, quiet residential development of many homes, right on the edge of unspoilt moorland. It's a low crime area. Twice in the last six months, whilst sitting in my living room, I've seen drones go over my garden at below roof-line height. The first time, the drone actually hovered for a while before moving on. I suspect both were being used by real estate agents, which is becoming reasonably common here. It's possible, and just as likely, I suppose, that it was just inconsiderate adults or kids. Then again, it could have been criminals scoping out potential burglaries. Whatever, I'm hugely against the availability and use of drones for anything less than controlled and licensed activities, whether the land is public or private...
07-30-2019, 08:20 AM - 5 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If fish and game departments sold hunting tags for drones, the drone problem could be kept under control. The number of tags sold could be limited to keep from making the drones extinct. Drone mounting over one's fireplace could become a thing.
07-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I live in a nice, quiet residential development of many homes, right on the edge of unspoilt moorland. It's a low crime area. Twice in the last six months, whilst sitting in my living room, I've seen drones go over my garden at below roof-line height. The first time, the drone actually hovered for a while before moving on. I suspect both were being used by real estate agents, which is becoming reasonably common here. It's possible, and just as likely, I suppose, that it was just inconsiderate adults or kids. Then again, it could have been criminals scoping out potential burglaries. Whatever, I'm hugely against the availability and use of drones for anything less than controlled and licensed activities, whether the land is public or private...
I wholeheartedly agree with you.