Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Olympus basicly shut down their compact camera business. Now they only have the TG-5 (probably new old stock and no production) and TG-6 on sale. So no wonder that unit sales went down 50 %.

By the way, looking at Ricoh-Imaging. It looks like only the WG-6 is still in production and all older models are new old stock and no production.
Ron, if by all other models you mean to include dSLR’s, you postulate they’re not producing anything at the Cebu plant in the Philippines. I doubt that is the case.

08-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ron, if by all other models you mean to include dSLR’s, you postulate they’re not producing anything at the Cebu plant in the Philippines. I doubt that is the case.
Well wg-series I was thinking about. They don't come from the Cebu plant I think. The new G900 is not yet on sale as far as I could find.
08-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's further proof that the dedicated camera market continues to shrink. 1 of the big manufacturers might have to die to stabilize the industry. The herd needs to be thinned.

Some of the smaller players might go, too, but I don't see how the big 3 (Canon, Nikon, and Sony) can all be profitable in the future. If 1 leaves the consumer camera market then the other 2 benefit. Or maybe not ... if Canon went away, for example, would most of their customers change systems, or just give up and use smartphones?
Doubt that any of them will exit the market any time soon. They might downsize and seek niche markets but stop production - no, not seeing it...
08-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Could an unthinkable merge of Canon and Nikon possible or simply Canon buy Nikon?

08-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Could an unthinkable merge of Canon and Nikon possible or simply Canon buy Nikon?
What benefit would Canon get from buying Nikon?
08-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What benefit would Canon get from buying Nikon?
AF technology for DSLRs, IBIS for mirrorless?
I mean, it's not like they would keep the brand alive, rather they'll butcher it and take whatever technology they can.
08-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
AF technology for DSLRs, IBIS for mirrorless?
Sometimes customers want things that aren't actually the best choice for them. Sony understood that marketing can orient customer wants. And, the way customers select camera products is far from being logically sound. Canon already know how to stabilize a sensor, and AF. It's was a deliberate choice of Canon to keep using optical stabilization over sensor stabilization. Executives made the choice of optical stabilization because they believed optical stabilization has advantages for customer over sensor stabilization.

---------- Post added 06-08-19 at 06:08 ----------

it's not like they would keep the brand alive
Why not? Do you think, if Canon bought Nikon camera that they would want Nikon customer leave to Sony?

08-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon already know how to stabilize a sensor,
Which Canon cameras have IBIS?
Executives made the choice of optical stabilization because they believed optical stabilization has advantages for customer over sensor stabilization.
I think they made that choice because that allows them to sell their lenses for more money making extra profit. Or they simply don't have the know-how to do that, which is why many of their mirroless lenses have OIS.

---------- Post added 08-05-19 at 09:35 PM ----------

Why not? Do you think, if Canon bought Nikon camera that they would want Nikon customer leave to Sony?
What? i think it's safe to assume Nikon customers would follow their mount before anything and I think it's safe to assume that keeping the F mount around would cannibalize the EF mount.
08-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Which Canon cameras have IBIS?
It's old. I had the Canon A710IS years ago, it had IBIS.

---------- Post added 06-08-19 at 06:39 ----------

I think they made that choice because that allows them to sell their lenses for more money making extra profit.
Good to point that out, that could be a reason. Technically, historically, the reason for Canon to no use sensor stabilization is to avoid shutter shock and because on a DSLR IBIS doesn't stabilize the viewfinder, while optical stabilization does stabilize the viewfinder regardless if the camera is a mirrorless or a reflex. IBIS only stabilized the viewfinder on mirrorless designs.

Sensor stabilization is known tech, Nikon had no problem to adopt it for the Z series whereas none of their previous DSLR models had IBIS.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-05-2019 at 09:42 PM.
08-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #25

I had the Canon A710IS years ago, it had IBIS.
You sure it had IBIS? Because all the mentions of IS in that camera that I can find say it's optical.
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Concise Review: Digital Photography Review
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM
Nikon had no problem to adopt it for the Z series
Except Nikon had IBIS in its compacts for how many generations?

Last edited by MetalUndivided; 08-05-2019 at 10:10 PM.
08-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

You sure it had IBIS? Because all the mentions of IS in that camera that I can find say it's optical.
Oh yes you are right. I thought is was sensor based when I was using it, but it was optical. Anyway, as an engineer, I don't think stabilizing a lens element is much different of stabilizing a silicon sensor with a servo loop. If I was Canon , I'd have a few engineers work of developing the sensor stab. , over spending hundred of millions buying Nikon. If I was Canon buying Nikon, I'd do so in order to increase my short term market share, fighting against erosion of the available market, and I'd certainly not destroy anything Nikon does that bring customers and revenues to Nikon.
08-06-2019, 02:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is any way that Canon is going to buy Nikon. The two companies are too similar. So they'd buy Nikon just to shut down the F mount and Z mount? Because Canon already has enough mounts that I can't imagine them wanting to continue Nikon's. As far as sensor based stabilization, there is already a rumor that Canon is going to bring that to their EOS RP cameras.

If someone were to buy Nikon I would imagine it would be a company that isn't currently in the digital camera business but for some reason wanted to get into it. But this doesn't seem like the time to spend a bunch of money buying into a market that has turned down in a major way.
08-06-2019, 04:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Or Sony buying Nikon, getting full line of DSLR and Mirrorless. Here I am talking getting only the camera business.
08-06-2019, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
S Executives made the choice of optical stabilization because they believed optical stabilization has advantages for customer over sensor stabilization.
I believe it was because they had a fleet of IS lenses. Canon developed optical stabilization for film bodies and carried it over to digital. Sensor based stabilization was no option for film cameras...
08-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I believe it was because they had a fleet of IS lenses. Canon developed optical stabilization for film bodies and carried it over to digital
Ah well, you must be right, I don't remember what Canon did with they film cameras.