Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interview with a Pentax landscape pro

"I first fell in love with photography at the age of 13. Following my love of ornithology, I photographed birds. Once leaving university, I pursued a career in sports photography where I covered over 300 events across Australia and the world, including the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
My passion has always been photographing the breathtaking Australian landscape. For the past 20 years, I have been privileged to call the Australian wilderness my office. For me, there’s nothing more exhilarating than being surrounded by this serenity. Whether it be standing on top of a mountain, or wandering along an ancient dry creek bed, my heart and soul always feels at home amongst these landscapes."

About a third of the way down this page you can hear an interview with Australian landscaper Tom Putt, who uses a Pentax 645Z with (IIRC) a 35mm f3.5 for ground shots, and 75mm f2.8 from aircraft. He has a dissenting view about the trend to get at ankle height with an UW lens … he believes the middle ground can become inconsequential in the landscape as a result.

Ep 257: How to shoot, print and sell landscape images with photographer Tom Putt - Gina Milicia Photography: Melbourne/Sydney lifestyle, celebrity, advertising & courses

3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. I'm getting more into landscape photography at the moment, adding up to physical activity outdoors, so your post caught my attention.
All the work for landscape photography is the travel at the location (+cost), planning for the right time of the day, seeing good compositions and having luck with the weather conditions. You don't need a 645z to get great landscape photographs and you don't even need a Sigma Art K mount lens (the Pentax kit will just work fine at f8, f11, f16), you don't need a MILC with eye AF either, although a weather sealed combo is an advantage because weather transitions are the best to add some drama / mood to landscape photographs. And, some nice tips to pick-up from this podcast with Tom Butt about how he creates winning landscape photographs.
3 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Thanks for sharing. I'm getting more into landscape photography at the moment, adding up to physical activity outdoors, so your post caught my attention.
All the work for landscape photography is the travel at the location (+cost), planning for the right time of the day, seeing good compositions and having luck with the weather conditions. You don't need a 645z to get great landscape photographs and you don't even need a Sigma Art K mount lens (the Pentax kit will just work fine at f8, f11, f16), you don't need a MILC with eye AF either, although a weather sealed combo is an advantage because weather transitions are the best to add some drama / mood to landscape photographs. And, some nice tips to pick-up from this podcast with Tom Butt about how he creates winning landscape photographs.
He reveals he totally lost one 645Z in the water in the past. I guess as a pro he was insured, but that claim would still affect his annual premiums, though.
3 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He reveals he totally lost one 645Z in the water in the past. I guess as a pro he was insured, but that claim would still affect his annual premiums, though.
That's one of the reason why I didn't buy a 645z, there is too much financial risk (without insurance) in case of having it stolen or having it drop in water when on a kayak for example. Other than that, MF is not more expensive than FF spread over the year of use, because of the bump in quality we don't feel the need to upgrade as often with MF as with smaller format cameras. e.g if I drop my K1, it is not such a big deal, given how much it costs to replace it now.

2 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so many comments. It's not a post about cameras. I noticed, usually posts about photography and not about cameras (or lenses) doesn't get a lot of traction in Pentraxforums.
2 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not so many comments. It's not a post about cameras. I noticed, usually posts about photography and not about cameras (or lenses) doesn't get a lot of traction in Pentraxforums.
In another thread a couple guys posted that this was just a gear site. I tend to agree.

The "everything but gear talk" thread. What's your project, what's your take on it? - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com
A year and half old and 181 posts, approx. 10 a month. 13 pages. A good MLC is taking over the world thread will do that in a couple days. So many posts are related to new gear acquisition sometimes it's more like the shopping channel.

People will go on long diatribes about this that or the other, but rarely have images to back up their claims or to even show why they think what they do.

Maybe I'll start a "post an image you really like , explain why you like it and techniques and settings and work flow." type thread. It would be more of interest to me personally than 99% of what gets posted on the forum.

Last edited by normhead; 2 Days Ago at 09:49 AM.
2 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Tom's comment about seeing and appreciating a photo of a place he'd never seen before, struck a chord with me. All too often, locations become well known among shooters and they simply love a place to death. In my business, I tried to shoot unknown locations that have not been shot; no easy task. I use 6x7s for most of my published work because that's what I started with back in 1988. I do shoot digital to a small degree though. The following shot is typical for my landscape/travel business-----an obscure location, difficult to reach and not shot to any degree that I know of. Cook Islands.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Thank you, Tom. That's a very interesting interview. Helpful insights.

And Norm, You have a good idea about the photography thread. Personally, I prefer that sort of thing over the endless minutia of megapixel or sharpness or resolution arguments.

A friend of mine makes his entire living with photography. He's found his niche and does it very well. His entire toolkit is a Nikon D800 FF camera, a Rokinon 14mm f2.4, and a Nikon 50mm f1.4. (and an excellent tripod)

His unique images hang in corporate HQs, govt buildings, etc, etc, etc. He's not fussy about equipment. His knowledge is all about light, position, the mechanics of exposure, and editing.

There may be too much worry about specs among some crowds and not enough insight/knowledge about creating images.

1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not many comments no, but perhaps people are waiting until they've listened to the interview to contribute.

I've added it to my podcast queue, that's all I have to say for now.

(Also thanks to clackers for pointing it out)
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Darn, couldn't get by the adds. I was getting dizzy. Whew, glad that's over. Next time I try I'll try useing the slider bar. I kept thinking, "the interview will start anytime now".

Ya, I know, short attention span.