Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

What are you shooting as a pro?

I know that there are some pro Pentax shooters on this forum and I would be interested seeing the type of work you shoot. I'm a semi-retired landscape and travel guy.

09-13-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I know that there are some pro Pentax shooters on this forum and I would be interested seeing the type of work you shoot. I'm a semi-retired landscape and travel guy.
I'm a full time product/commercial photographer and do weddings, portraits and landscape in my freetime.
09-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, that is quite a range of subjects! Working at photography full time is tough these days. Any examples of your work?
09-13-2019, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Wow, that is quite a range of subjects! Working at photography full time is tough these days. Any examples of your work?
It is! My website has most of my pro stuff product/food, as well as wedding/portraiture -- EricNoeskePhoto.com . But I'm always doing new stuff everyday that isn't up there.

09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
It is! My website has most of my pro stuff product/food, as well as wedding/portraiture -- EricNoeskePhoto.com . But I'm always doing new stuff everyday that isn't up there.
Checked out your work. Very impressive.
09-13-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice work; thanks for sharing.

Here's some of my work--
Desertscape Images - Photos | Facebook
09-13-2019, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know that I would call it professional, but I've started doing stock photos, mostly rural landscapes and nature photos. It is interesting to see what sells.

09-13-2019, 07:24 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly do not consider myself a pro but the income is still very welcome.

www.zigzagmtart.com

Alamy

Pixels

Last edited by jatrax; 09-13-2019 at 07:30 PM.
09-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a retiring professional photographer. I'm leaving the industry to pursue a career in classical music....but it seems the industry is having a hard time letting me go.

I still do studio work, I would go mad if I tried to go cold turkey on it. But I'm not working anywhere near the degree that I used to, It has been a welcome change of pace. I occasionally teach at several institutions for advanced photographers*. Over the years I have done a lot of work in assorted genres both in studio and on location: food,fashion,automotive,aviation,glamour,architecture,scientific,forensic - I sold off the rights to the images - which means sadly, I don't really have much to show for my work but by doing that, I get paid more.

The most recent job I did was for a well established Australian jewellery designer which I took the opportunity to combine that with the clothing designs from an up-and-coming Australian designer. Set props were also by an Australian furniture design and manufacturing company. I do what I can to support and promote the best local products.

One of the pleasures of working in the industry is working alongside other professionals in other fields, exchanging ideas, sharing techniques and discussing workflow habits...One of my pet peeves about the industry are inconsistent payers or individuals where I have to chase for money. Also I tend not to get along with people who have pompously bloated Egos, I find them to be a pain to work with.

* One of these institutions has one of the best dark rooms I have ever worked in, I love teaching anything to do with film there...I still have clients that appreciate the qualities of film photography.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-14-2019 at 05:47 AM.
09-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some excellent flower landscapes there Jatrax.

---------- Post added 09-14-2019 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I would go mad if I tried to go cold turkey on it
Same here; it's why I have not fully retired. It's who I am.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
.I still have clients that appreciate the qualities of film
I still shoot 6x7 film mostly and feel it is a proven medium.

Ever since the Great Recession here in the States, many of my clients have paid less. It made an already difficult business even tougher.
09-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Museum work

Since 2012 I have been shooting for the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, starting when we were between full time photographers and continuing afterwards in an auxiliary role, and as one of several contractors working under PO's. Now the work is around 10-20% of my yearly salary, but even my general Exhibits Department contract has explicit photography duties (mostly I'm an art handler and sometime tech rep/team leader).

I am mainly used for ongoing installation shooting for documentary purposes and in support of the Exhibits Department, some final installation shots for press and the archives for Collections Management, and a bit of event shooting, mostly controlled by Collections for sharing with other departments. The press shots are provided to news publications, magazines, and websites that cover art, including the Washington Post.

Using a 645Z, an upgraded K1, and a Theta Z1 (just starting with this).

Shortly I will be starting some work with another museum in the area, similar to my work with HMSG.

I can't have these images on my personal website at this time, although I'm hoping to negotiate some exceptions. Behind the scenes shots are generally proscribed from presentation to the public in any way, as they can include information the public can't have. But generally all the images of all types are pretty dry---this isn't about style or personal expression.

Last edited by texandrews; 09-14-2019 at 01:51 PM.
09-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot western US landscape photos, print them in black and white, and hand color them (using paint, not software). And then show and sometimes actually sell them. See examples at BobKeeferPhoto.com
09-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is an interesting and unique take on photography Bob. You have created your own niche.

I have been known to write magazine articles on travel and regional subjects to place my pictures.
09-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pretty pictures!
I am selling in Singapore and Shanghai to private dealers and individuals. It helps that my niece, a fluent Mandarin speaker who teaches both in Melbourne and Shanghai schools, spreads the word. I will venture to Hong Kong some time in the future (not right now, for obvious reasons!).

At the present moment my printer is readying several transparencies of riverine rainforest scenes, and repeat prints of a pet subject/scene that I return to once each year some 220km NNE of Adelaide in the Riverland. I have pics of these things on my phone but being a but doubtful about the interface, it is not letting go in the transfer process to the desktop 'pooter. In the great Australian vernacular, bugger all...
09-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing Gary. Interesting that you sell outside of your country. I don't sell much out of the US; a bit in Canada though. Probably 80% of my sales go to calendars and most of that is from my 6x7s.