Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2019, 11:46 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographer tells how he captured Haiti shooting incident

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in another section but this seemed like a good location. Move if necessary.

To be be upfront I took the headline from directly from the BBC as I really couldn't think of a better one to use for the title. The article on the BBC's page goes into details about how Reuters photographer Andres Martinez Casares captured the dramatic images of one of Haiti's senators, Jean-Marie Ralph Féthière, opening fire out side of Haiti's Parliament. It has the dramatic picture that made the rounds the other day as well as several others from the incident and a retelling of what happened.

09-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing photos in that article. If they were mine, I'd likely be quite shaken looking at them after the fact. At any moment, Martinez Casares was a simple gesture away from being shot at or hit himself.
09-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think what separates a photographer from normal people in these situations is the need to document what happened. He did not fear for his own life, his first instinct was to do a bit of shooting of his own.

It reminds me of Robert Landsberg's series at Mt. St. Helens.

Photographer Died Protecting His Film During the 1980 Mt. St. Helens Eruption
09-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think what separates a photographer from normal people in these situations is the need to document what happened. He did not fear for his own life, his first instinct was to do a bit of shooting of his own.

That's so sad. I don't know if I would have known enough not to try to live.

09-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

The shots taken by thephotographer are more effective than those from the gun,
10-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

This sent shivers down my spine. Damn. I knew about the explosion and the images of a suddenly blown up mountain are terrifying, but I had no idea about Landsberg...

Incidentally, "Berg" is German for "mountain".

On the Haiti topic, I agree. The images show such urgency... Count me in with those who would probably not even want to look at them .
10-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
he shots taken by thephotographer are more effective than those from the gun,
I would have to agree and the first or second image in the article will probably be one of the more memorable images from from this century.