Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Its true. They look like regular macaroons...but they are not.
A Pentax "looks" like other cameras...but they are not.
I worked for the great grandson of the inventor of the "Luxemburgerli", the best pastry in Luxembourg.
I totally agree with both statements.

11-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I promised a response and here it is.

No email responses to my questions I even sent 2 different emails using different emails and letters.

I have contacted every retail outlet in my area and spoke my repair facility all at length (30 min conversations approx each, ). I even moved to contacting retail companies within 1300 km of my home, the answers the same.

I have phoned Pentax directly 2 times and spoke to customer service at length. The map is still twirling, the Pentax retail list emailed to me is still dated 2017 and incorrect.
The indirect answers I have seen before in business have always lead to the same conclusion. I have a buyer for some of my two lower end back up equipment which I am occupying. Three dslr's and full equipment will be left. Selling 2 sets will make room to start testing other brands while I wait to see what Ricoh finally does.

What burns me is that I love using Pentax while their inaction here in Canada tells me a story I have not been wanting to hear. The 400mm I had repaired and cleaned is working great. So far all my equipment is working great. For now I will enjoy the Pentax gear, enjoy photography and hope that I do not have any issues.

Ricoh get your act together and support your supporters before you lose us.
11-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I live in the same general area as you do. Mostly I use Pentax, although I do have different brands of digital cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
Update:

I spoke to the three companies that that have worked with Pentax in Winnipeg the same response.
1. The equipment was good
2. The people they worked with were awesome
3. The sales not good

2 of the 3 only special order Pentax goods while the other dropped the brand. Answers to 1,2 and 3 are the same as my experience here. I've had Pentax gear since 1968 and bought all of it from stores out here. I special order everything and have had no problems getting it, from 2 of the 3 stores. The customer service , over the past decade (actually bout 14 years ) Pentax wise has been good in my experience. I've had an issue with two of my Pentax cameras...one a K5, the other with my K1. Both were sent away, by the local store(s) that I purchased the equipment from, to Pentax (still under factory warranty and were fixed 'perfectly' by the Pentax head office in Ontario. Both cameras were out for repair, one for about 5 weeks, the other for about 3 weeks. No 24 hour turn around, but for me as an amateur these repair times were ok. I've got four digital Pentax DSLR's...so I use one of them if one body was out for repair.

I also had a functioning issue with one of my lenses. The repair was carried out under the extended warranty that I bought, in an entirely satisfactory manner. The store (Henry's) sent the lens out to their repair depot (Ontario I think) , it was repaired and came back within a reasonable time, working well.

Both local stores that I use have been great in support and service. The only local company I don't use, is the one that doesn't handle Pentax, even though I bought my K10D and other stuff from them back in 2006-2008.

Yep, like you I would like to walk into a local store, and try before I buy. But although I could still do that with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, etc...I can't with Pentax. I do find that this not having personal access to a product...not great...but it seems to be the way it is with more and more products, nowadays. I'm an old guy and recall the days when you could walk into Eaton's downtown and check out everything the heart desired...right there. Sadly, those days are gone.

So here I am...2019..I like Pentax equipment, prefer this brand from long experience and am impressed with it's durability, quality, etc...touch wood.

Fortunately nowadays we have access to websites...like this one and I've had all my questions answered before and after I've purchased Pentax and Ricoh products. Websites like this are tremendous resources...something we didn't have decades ago...when we had to rely on friends or dealers, magazines, etc..for information on a product. I like the website situation better, if the website is like the PF.

I believe that with Pentax equipment you get very good value per cost. A buddy of mine who is a high end Canon guy is impressed with the quality per cost of my Pentax equipment.

Pentax themselves have not responded but I wait a little longer.

As a business owner discontinuance of product is part of growth, support is not. In a global economy as ours Pentax should do things different. I go online or on the phone place orders around the world and see it within a week. Introducing direct orders from Pentax would solve the supply issue and maximize profit. Yes it would increase lead times but with shipping and duty costs the responsibility of the consumer financially a win. As Pentax is generally not available in brick in mortar anyway where is the loss?

The very fact that I have yet to see any response good or bad from Pentax is telling of the support. The map is still rotating so if anyone new is looking to find a dealer in Canada good luck. So I love my gear I hate the lack of support.
To a point I understand and agree to a point about your conclusion. On the other hand though, we had a Toyota and had to wait about 2 weeks for a part that had to be sent from Japan. Big company, sells lots of cars...lots of dealers...but 2 weeks for a part from Japan ?