Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 02:37 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Admittedly, Ricoh support for Pentax gear could be better, and it likely hasn't improved since they shut down their own in-house support and outsourced it to third-party services. But you do get a reasonable level of support for fairly recent gear. By contrast, manufacturers like Sony seem to be reluctant to offer affordable support even for their current product lines.

10-05-2019, 03:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Admittedly, Ricoh support for Pentax gear could be better, and it likely hasn't improved since they shut down their own in-house support and outsourced it to third-party services.
Usually it comes down to economics. My grand mother used to repair socks when there was a hole into them, but that was post-WWII. I don't do that, I buy packs of 12 socks made in China by a machine by the ton, and when socks have a hole I dispose them in the waste container. Guess, sad but true, last week I disposed a complete set of Cokin filters at the public waste container, simply because the cost of finding someone interested and the shipment cost is more than the value of the filters themselves. Next time I switch camera system, I will dump my K1 and lenses in the waste container: that's what Sony have done with cash back cameras (give back your old camera and we give you $300 cash back on the purchase of the Sony A7rIII). Retailers collected old digital cameras (DSLR) put them into a container shipped to demolition. The reidual value of electronic devices after five years (even if not used) is zero, simply because the new models of electronic devices are higher performance and packed with more features. That's why mobiles phones don't have removable batteries anymore, when the battery is dead, you don't get the batter replaced, you dump the old smartphone and you get a new phone.

---------- Post added 05-10-19 at 12:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
This week I couriered my 400mm lens in to a repair facility requesting a cleaning and repair.
You could buy a brand new Pentax D-FA 150-450. Then dispose this old 400mm lens to your nearest waste container together with empty glass bottles, maybe the glass elements of your old lens will have a new life melted back into a bottles of fine wiskey or some bottles of champaign
10-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #33
Pentaxian

So far I've had nothing but good experiences with repairs in Australia using the official agents CR Kennedy. However, I admit that I haven't tried getting a long-discontinued lens fixed. Parts may simply not exist anywhere.
10-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
I think that this explains a lot. Certainly feels clearer to me.

I'll just keep going along in my hobbyist way, having used Pentax since 1978 and having been happy with the results. I expect that this will continue in a quite adequate way until I'm done with photography (and a lot of other things also).
Yep. Me too. No sense in getting upset. 1981 is when I came into Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not sure if Ricoh cares only about their local market Japan. But one thing is for sure, Pentax is respected in Japan, bashed in North America and in Europe Pentax is disliked by retailers and mocked by camera customers in general. It would be a mistake to allocate resources for the US market where any effort will be crushed by the market already convinced that "Pentax is not good".
You got it there. It would be insanity...and Pentax/Ricoh knows this. Why fight a losing battle that could take the ship down? You have to respect the Japanese decision makers for not engaging in a lost cause.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I had similar issues too, I found the 3 Legged Thing worked fine for me.

3 LEGGED THING L-BRACKET, UNIVERSAL reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
I saw that too..but no access to the battery compartment with the L-bracket.

10-05-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Everything has an end. Parts will no longer be manufactured and we'll end up upgrading what we have. It's good that you've used your lens for so many years. As how we may put it in repairing and reusing an old crank shaft, it's life has come to an end and it has to graduate. That's why I only have one camera system. I can slowly increase my arsenal. Upgrade slowly. When one lens or body conks out, you add or change it with a new one. Nothing goes to waste if you've used them well.
10-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #36

I have never needed to service my equipment so i wouldnt know anything about that, and ive never owned anything but Pentax so cant comment on other brands either. But if Ricoh dont support old lenses anymore, there is plenty of shops arround the world dedicated to repair and selling vintage camera and lenses. I.e. kamerastore.com in Finland.
10-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect the main problem here is that the tech the OP spoke to is i'll informed about Pentax repairs. Certainly a lens that old may be difficult to service for the reasons outlined in this thread but there may well be service available.

10-06-2019, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The real concern is the Technicians take on Pentax.
Personally I think your "technician" is just expressing sour grapes. Pentax no longer supports local brick and mortar stores or repair shops. They moved to centralized repair depots in each country. That information was supplied to you earlier in this thread. But Pentax no longer supporting a brick and mortar store in Canada or the US is not the same as them "not supporting customers". They do support customers, just not the same way you are used to.

If you really want your lens fixed then send it to the authorized repair center as has been suggested above. Pentax is NEVER going to go back to supporting those brick and mortar stores. And I predict that those stores themselves will be out of business in 5 years or less. Like it or not, the future is online sales and depot repair.

I appreciate your noting this is not a whining thread, I agree that gains nothing. And your attempt to gain the attention of Pentax about this is noble. However, your effort to force Pentax to change is simply tilting at windmills. Not going to happen because it CANNOT happen. It is simply not economical to do business that way any longer.

Our goal here and now should be making sure Pentax SURVIVES, not caterers to a antiquated business model that would ultimately drive them out of business.
10-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OP should be sure to check with these Canadian repair facilities recently listed by Adam.
PhotoTec Services, St John's, Newfoundland (Vintage cameras and lenses)
Service Camera Pro (Film and digital, Quebec)
Sun Camera Service, Ontario (Authorized to perform warranty service) [PDF repair form] [Info from Ricoh Imaging]
Zone 7 (Quebec)
VanCam (Vancouver)
Computech Camera Repair (Winnipeg)
Camera Repair Centre (Nova Scotia)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com
10-07-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

There's plenty of people who just seem to hate Pentax - like Ken Rockwell and the DPReview folks... and apparently this tech - instead of saying "Pentax won't support this lens" he made a generic statement about Pentax not supporting their customers at all. Maybe he meant like Canon does with their paid pro support program? Are we sure it wasn't just a misunderstanding like that?

Anyway, people usually like or at least respect the underdog. But in the case of the Pentax bashers... I am pretty sure they usually have good reason$ to do so and try to herd their followers to the brands they support...
10-08-2019, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update:

I spoke to the three companies that that have worked with Pentax in Winnipeg the same response.
1. The equipment was good
2. The people they worked with were awesome
3. The sales not good

2 of the 3 only special order Pentax goods while the other dropped the brand.

Pentax themselves have not responded but I wait a little longer.

As a business owner discontinuance of product is part of growth, support is not. In a global economy as ours Pentax should do things different. I go online or on the phone place orders around the world and see it within a week. Introducing direct orders from Pentax would solve the supply issue and maximize profit. Yes it would increase lead times but with shipping and duty costs the responsibility of the consumer financially a win. As Pentax is generally not available in brick in mortar anyway where is the loss?

The very fact that I have yet to see any response good or bad from Pentax is telling of the support. The map is still rotating so if anyone new is looking to find a dealer in Canada good luck. So I love my gear I hate the lack of support.
10-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I can't get Luxemburgerli anywhere outside of the limited places they are made around Switzerland, and the Spruengli folks are just fine with that.

Luxemburgerli

So its not uncommon for a product to be regional/country specific, and not matter what the demand is.
Once you have a Luxemburgerli...you will want it everywhere...but that will never happen.

The Luxemburgerli "look" like other products out there, but once you eat one, you realize there is NOTHING like one.

Same with Pentax.
I will frame that
10-08-2019, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I will frame that
Its true. They look like regular macaroons...but they are not.
A Pentax "looks" like other cameras...but they are not.

When you see people lined up, waiting in line for the fresh ones...you realize that these will never be able to leave, and be shared with a global or wider audience.

Spruengli is fine with that.
Pentax is like that.

Once you get *it*, you might eat regular macaroons...but you will always want the real thing in your hands.
Pentax is like that.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 10-08-2019 at 04:11 PM.
10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update:

I spoke to the three companies that that have worked with Pentax in Winnipeg the same response.
1. The equipment was good
2. The people they worked with were awesome
3. The sales not good

2 of the 3 only special order Pentax goods while the other dropped the brand.

Pentax themselves have not responded but I wait a little longer.

As a business owner discontinuance of product is part of growth, support is not. In a global economy as ours Pentax should do things different. I go online or on the phone place orders around the world and see it within a week. Introducing direct orders from Pentax would solve the supply issue and maximize profit. Yes it would increase lead times but with shipping and duty costs the responsibility of the consumer financially a win. As Pentax is generally not available in brick in mortar anyway where is the loss?

The very fact that I have yet to see any response good or bad from Pentax is telling of the support. The map is still rotating so if anyone new is looking to find a dealer in Canada good luck. So I love my gear I hate the lack of support.
Repairs in Canada is undertaken by the following company, according to the Ricoh-Imaging website:

Repair Information for Ricoh Imaging Products

RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. has an Authorized Service Centre for warranty and non-warranty repair of Ricoh Imaging products purchased in Canada, including Digital SLR Camera Bodies (ie. PENTAX K-1, KP, K-3II, K-70, K-S2, K-50), PENTAX Digital SLR Lenses, Digital Interchangeable Lens System Cameras and Lenses (ie. PENTAX Q-S1, Q7 and Q Mount Lenses), 645Z Medium Format Digital SLR Camera Body and 645 Digital SLR Lenses, RICOH THETA 360°Spherical Cameras (ie. Theta S, Theta SC), Digital Compact Cameras (ie. RICOH WG-50, WG-M2, RICOH GRII), PENTAX Flashes and PENTAX Sports Optics.

RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC
2150 Steeles Avenue West, Unit #5
Concord, ON
L4K 2Y7
Phone: (905) 286-5585
Email: service@ricoh-imaging.ca

Maybe give them a call?

I know of these two Pentax dealers in Canada. There may be more:
Camera Canada :: Interchangeable Lens Cameras
PENTAX

Almost no brick and mortar stores in New Zealand sells Pentax. My "go to" is either Adorama or B&H - in New York.

Good luck!
10-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Its true. They look like regular macaroons...but they are not.
A Pentax "looks" like other cameras...but they are not.

When you see people lined up, waiting in line for the fresh ones...you realize that these will never be able to leave, and be shared with a global or wider audience.

Spruengli is fine with that.
Pentax is like that.

Once you get *it*, you might eat regular macaroons...but you will always want the real thing in your hands.
Pentax is like that.
Well said Lauren.