Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Kodak and Fujifilm

Why Kodak Died and Fujifilm Thrived: A Tale of Two Film Companies

One of the most interesting articles about the camera industry I've read in a while.

It really parallel today with the death of the digital compact camera. I wonder how current companies will react. Is Ricoh\Pentax more like like Fujifilm or like Kodak?

10-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I remember when Kodak was a big giant. There were everywhere. They had Kodak picture spots throughout Disneyland. I remember those spots. Haha! But yeah. It's sad to see a giant go.
10-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I get the impression that Kodak are now doing better than Fujifilm. Fujifilm keep cutting films or increasing the price so much that almost no-one will buy them, or limiting films to their domestic market only. Kodak seem to make much more effort to promote their products, rarely cut anything any more and even expand products which were previously limited to certain markets to other markets.
10-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Why Kodak Died and Fujifilm Thrived: A Tale of Two Film Companies

One of the most interesting articles about the camera industry I've read in a while.

It really parallel today with the death of the digital compact camera. I wonder how current companies will react. Is Ricoh\Pentax more like like Fujifilm or like Kodak?
Ricoh/Pentax is neither like Fujifilm nor Kodak in that both of those companies had a large stake in film, photographic paper, and photo chemistry and processing equipment.

Ricoh's core business was office printers and their acquisition of Pentax to me mirrors more a small version of Canon in reverse as they diversified into printing.

10-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak and Fujifilm
The article is a bit dated and was discussed quite a bit here and elsewhere. Part of the problem is that the major premise in the title is flawed. Fujifilm is hardly healthy and has not been for several years.

I don't see the parallels, so I have to say that Ricoh/Pentax is more like a guinea pig than either Fujifilm or Kodak.

Steve
10-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Kodak seem to make much more effort to promote their products
I've noticed the same here in the US. I hear more talk about Kodak reps, Ilford reps visiting retailers, photo clubs, etc. Haven't heard anyone mention a Fuji rep.

Weirdly, I was at my local comic con last month and Fuji was heavily promoting Instax.
10-16-2019, 02:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I see Pentax on a road to success.

10-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...) Fujifilm is hardly healthy and has not been for several years.

(...)
Many, many corporations would very much like to be as unhealthy as Fujifilm...

10-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I've noticed the same here in the US. I hear more talk about Kodak reps, Ilford reps visiting retailers, photo clubs, etc. Haven't heard anyone mention a Fuji rep.

Weirdly, I was at my local comic con last month and Fuji was heavily promoting Instax.
Fuji Instax is the reason why Fuji Imaging is doing so well. Its 60 to 88 billion yen (600 to 800 million dollars) in sales of Instax products per QUARTER.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-fiscal-year-2019-3-financial-report-inst...lm-x-t3-sales/
10-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Fuji Instax is the reason why Fuji Imaging is doing so well. Its 60 to 88 billion yen (600 to 800 million dollars) in sales of Instax products per QUARTER.

Fujifilm Fiscal Year 2019/3 Financial Report: Instax Rules and Favorable Fujifilm X-T3 Sales - Fuji Rumors
I'm glad Instax is doing well if it keeps the entire Imaging subsidiary afloat. I'm amazed how diversified Fujifilm is: Group Companies | FUJIFILM Holdings
10-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Fujifilm Fiscal Year 2019/3 Financial Report: Instax Rules and Favorable Fujifilm X-T3 Sales - Fuji Rumors
I like the Instax products but that film does not come cheap. I'm not suprised to see them making a killing from it
10-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've never used Instax but have been tempted, but the price of the film has kept me away.
10-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've never used Instax but have been tempted, but the price of the film has kept me away.
Same here, I have a polaroid land camera that I was using for fun, but now Fuji FP100c has been discontinued. Its 60 to a 100 dollars for a 10 pack of instant film.
10-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same for me. It seems to be as expensive as MF film, developed and scanned but does not have the same quality.
10-31-2019, 02:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I like the Instax products but that film does not come cheap. I'm not suprised to see them making a killing from it
That's the Gillette business model: sell the equipment almost at cost and make a nice profit on the consumables.