Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would rather watch their soft spoken presentations, than this guy. He is quite good and knows his stuff, but his presentation is very loud and over the top.

Jared Polin, a.k.a. Fro Knows for those who have not seen him before.
The CamerVille guy can be annoying too, especially all the hand gestures.

10-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The CamerVille guy can be annoying too, especially all the hand gestures.
Ya think? (wish the rolleyes smilie actually rolled)

Steve
10-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who is that guy near Chelsea ?!
10-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That angry photographer guy irritates me as well - especially when he "tested" a radioactive Takumar with near 60 year old un-calibrated geiger counter, which had a sensitivity spike right at the emission point where Takumars are most radioactive. So the measurements were off by at least 40%.

10-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I just watched most of the Northrups' latest video, on 10 most important moments in photography history. It went well enough up to World War II, with daguerrotypes, box Brownies, 35mm, Leica and the Kwanon copy, but then they jumped from the rangefinder-type cameras to ... the introduction of the Nigh-kon F1 in 1959 - and it was a SLR! And then Nikon thereafter went on to become blah blah blah. So much for Asahi's Pentax in 1957 and the reign of the Spotmatic during the 60s.

Disgusted of Basingstoke.
From a quick scan of this thread , I'm glad I have no idea who 'the Northrups' are , nor am I inclined to bother looking to find out .
10-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finding interesting photography channels on YouTube or sites on the InterWeb generally, rather than X Y or Z's Mega Gear Review Channel (loudmouthed or soft...) is a trial, but they are out there. Some reward regular viewing with thought-provoking content. The only Tuber I'll watch for thought-provoking gear discussions – but just occasionally – is Hugh Brownstone of Three Blind Men and an Elephant: he's mostly about video and he seriously loves Leica but his street photography and related content are also a delight.

I like landscape photography, so Adam Gibbs, Mads Peter Iverson, Simon Baxter and Thomas Heaton are among my regulars. Sean Tucker is also rewarding.
10-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A Pentax forums podcast could be fun, with other members joining in. I think just me would make things a rather monotonous experience for the listener. Getting other people on it could keep things fresh..or make things go horrendously off the rails. Either way could be entertaining.
Oh man, I second this idea! I learn so much from everyone here already. The history, the skills, the stories. I'll be your first viewer. Or, second, as it seems at least one other member has expressed interest

10-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
... Tony even stated that Nikon didn’t invent the SLR but they “popularized” it....
Not really : Pentax were famously the first to make 1 million , 2 million , 5 million , even 10 million SLRs .

So it is quite quantifiable that Pentax 'popularised' the SLR , especially since , during the 60s they outsold Canon and Nikon put together .

Last edited by Pontoneer; 10-29-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: syntax
10-29-2019, 02:32 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Oh man, I second this idea! I learn so much from everyone here already. The history, the skills, the stories.
oh what have I started....and I have a heap of stories on how commercial photography projects slide off the rails. Sadly there really isn't a lot going on with Pentax cameras to discuss of late, Ricoh doesn't have the same kind of release momentum that Canikon and Sony [you killed Minolta] have to keep going. But still plenty going on regarding new cameras in general, and whatever ridiculous controversy is the flavor of the month. We could have the discussion highlights from the podcast available for general public to download with the full podcast being a site supporter perk, the extra money coming in could offset the cost of increased data demands.
10-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really enjoy researching historical newspapers, and I've done some digging for thread posts in the past. I've dipped my toe in the internet newspaper ink once again searching for news and advertisements for Asahi and Pentax. Maybe I'll find enough interesting items to write an article. It's all new to me, however, so I suspect there are several folks here who could write their own takes on Pentax history. Might make for an interesting series.
10-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontoneer Quote
From a quick scan of this thread , I'm glad I have no idea who 'the Northrups' are , nor am I inclined to bother looking to find out .
LOL - yes, the time lost starts going into the category of things in life you can't get back, and why?