Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
As for the Nikon F, one could make a case that it was the first modern SLR. And the F mount is still around. Yes, I know, Pentax made SLRs before Nikon...
Nikon F - The Camera that Changed Everything - PentaxForums.com

10-26-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hehe, thanks all. Glad this stirred a bit of interest!
10-26-2019, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wish you would do a history segment like this.
I could spend an hour alone discussing any single camera maker*. Knowing my penchant for digression you had better make that two hours, and my speech sometimes veers into the vernacular - so just add a solid 5 mins for all the bleeps.

I have also been asked to do product unboxing videos.

* I admit my knowlege of Olympus and Mamiya [and common lomography cameras] is somewhat limited due to lack of practical experience with their products.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-26-2019 at 04:43 PM.
10-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I could spend an hour alone discussing any single camera maker*. Knowing my penchant for digression you had better make that two hours, and my speech sometimes veers into the vernacular - so just add a solid 5 mins for all the bleeps.

I have also been asked to do product unboxing videos.

* I admit my knowlege of Olympus and Mamiya [and common lomography cameras] is somewhat limited due to lack of practical experience with their products.
Anytime you want to host a q&a session online and a bit of lecture I'm game.

10-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does mesh with what I've come to expect, but perhaps this indicative of the audience.
10-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Anytime you want to host a q&a session online and a bit of lecture I'm game.
A Pentax forums podcast could be fun, with other members joining in. I think just me would make things a rather monotonous experience for the listener. Getting other people on it could keep things fresh..or make things go horrendously off the rails. Either way could be entertaining.
10-27-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A Pentax forums podcast could be fun, with other members joining in. I think just me would make things a rather monotonous experience for the listener. Getting other people on it could keep things fresh..or make things go horrendously off the rails. Either way could be entertaining.
@Adam... This sounds interesting.

10-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* The argument generally ends when it is pointed out that Asahi offered no lenses in 1959 having true automatic aperture actuation, something F-mount lenses offered from the start.
One could also point out that it took Asahi another fifteen years or so to come up with a bayonet mount.

The Nikon F mount is probably the oldest one still in production, but I will have to fact check myself on that. For all I know there still M42 bodies on the shelves.
10-27-2019, 06:05 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One could also point out that it took Asahi another fifteen years or so to come up with a bayonet mount.
There was a tension between existing customers and lenses and the new. It was hard to swap lens mounts. I'm not certain they felt it was needed - Pentax seemed very conservative in this area. Look at the sdm introduction, 5 high end lenses were made that worked with and without sdm support in the body. And the m42 adaptor for k mount performed a similar function.
10-27-2019, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Those who disagree with the Northrups can always compile their own lists. Perhaps we should start a thread on the topic of significant moment in photography history. I would do so, but then I would have to compile my own list.
10-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Nikon F mount is probably the oldest one still in production, but I will have to fact check myself on that. For all I know there still M42 bodies on the shelves.
For pictorial photographic cameras, I believe you are correct. The last production M42 body that I am aware of was the Bessaflex TM (NOS rumored still available), though Zeiss still makes M42 lenses for industrial applications.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-27-2019 at 10:17 AM.
10-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #42

Photos: Albums
I can't watch their videos anymore. Even when they critique the brands they are typically in love with, it doesn't make a lot of sense. They are in a very unique bubble, and their soft spoken demeanor is what keeps viewers on their channel.
10-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Those who disagree with the Northrups can always compile their own lists. Perhaps we should start a thread on the topic of significant moment in photography history. I would do so, but then I would have to compile my own list.
Thread started:

Ten Moments in History That Changed Cameras and Photography - PentaxForums.com
10-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jokers10 Quote
I can't watch their videos anymore. Even when they critique the brands they are typically in love with, it doesn't make a lot of sense. They are in a very unique bubble, and their soft spoken demeanor is what keeps viewers on their channel.
I would rather watch their soft spoken presentations, than this guy. He is quite good and knows his stuff, but his presentation is very loud and over the top.

Jared Polin, a.k.a. Fro Knows for those who have not seen him before.
10-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I don't watch most of their stuff and therefore I can say I like them.
They need to keep producing content, I don't need to watch it.
The 5 worst types of photographers was hilarious, the food photography shoot out was fun. Their guest interviews are insightful. If you want geek level YouTube is not a format that lends itself well to understanding. It's great for entertainment and insight but not information.