Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 05:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tony and Chelsea do it again...

I just watched most of the Northrups' latest video, on 10 most important moments in photography history. It went well enough up to World War II, with daguerrotypes, box Brownies, 35mm, Leica and the Kwanon copy, but then they jumped from the rangefinder-type cameras to ... the introduction of the Nigh-kon F1 in 1959 - and it was a SLR! And then Nikon thereafter went on to become blah blah blah. So much for Asahi's Pentax in 1957 and the reign of the Spotmatic during the 60s.

Disgusted of Basingstoke.

10-26-2019, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I just watched most of the Northrups' latest video, on 10 most important moments in photography history. It went well enough up to World War II, with daguerrotypes, box Brownies, 35mm, Leica and the Kwanon copy, but then they jumped from the rangefinder-type cameras to ... the introduction of the Nigh-kon F1 in 1959 - and it was a SLR! And then Nikon thereafter went on to become blah blah blah. So much for Asahi's Pentax in 1957 and the reign of the Spotmatic during the 60s.

And this is surprising to you? In the Northrup's ecosystem, nothing exists outside of N, C, or S.
10-26-2019, 06:47 AM - 9 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you could just not watch them.. and be happier...
10-26-2019, 07:31 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote

Dear Disgusted of Basingstoke,

In this digital age of "democratizationof Information" there is, unfortunately, little escaping brainless agenda-driven twits who enjoy flapping their virtual gums in exchange for careening web traffic.

You can opt to set the record straight, or flip 'em the middle digit and go photograph something. Neither answer is wrong!

Best,
Your Digital Abby

10-26-2019, 07:48 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You can opt to set the record straight, or flip 'em the middle digit and go photograph something. Neither answer is wrong!
No neither of those choices are wrong, but flipping them off is more praiseworthy and frankly, an inherently cathartic and productive response towards those two poorly assembled conglomerates of carbon derivatives.
10-26-2019, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No neither of those choices are wrong, but flipping them off is more praiseworthy and frankly, an inherently cathartic and productive response towards those two poorly assembled conglomerates of carbon derivatives.
Or a constructive video of a more balanced history could be made... Everyone has bias, some are better at recognizing it and fighting it. I respect your talent and broad expertise. I wish you would do a history segment like this.
10-26-2019, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As any fule kno, Tony's competences are, er, limited. He's not a physicist, nor an ethicist, and presumably neither is he an historian. The autumn colours are rather attractive this time of year and make much more appealing watching. (100 posts this month? Gosh what a chatterbox I've become!)

10-26-2019, 08:01 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony needed a K-1. Ricoh Imaging NA didn’t deliver. Ergo Pentax does not exist.
10-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
As any fule kno, Tony's competences are, er, limited.
What is a Fule Kno?
10-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fool knows
10-26-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Fool knows
Oh my God. How did I miss that?
10-26-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How did I miss that?
Don't worry, U.V., that says more about the books I read as a lad than it does about you. Someone from Hampshire, UK (born before the Star Wars era) might have heard of Nigel Molesworth, the curse of St Custards, but you are forgiven.
10-26-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It as one oftheir more bizzarre efforts - ignoring not just Pentax, but Minolta, Olymps, Fuji, Contax etc etc who all made contibutions to the story - but actually not giving any signficance to the introduction of film, for instance...

Last edited by ffking; 10-26-2019 at 08:36 AM.
10-26-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's easy to find alternatives to Northrups' scattered coverage

The Northrups' YT channel has gained some 1.3 million subscribers, which speaks to their popularity. From my sporadic viewing over the years, I find that they seem to like to promote the 'ten best' or 'top x' of things, 'a versus b', and they litter their videos and titles with hyperbole. I guess that approach attracts viewers and subscribers, but doesn't necessarily create high-quality content that has a shelf life longer than a week. However, I've learned some things from several of their productions, so I'll give them a bit of credit.

Like many YT items, I find that the viewing time-to-value ratio is just too high; I prefer reading.

I suspect that they don't put a lot of in-depth research or analysis into their topics, and the video in question here seems to me to be a somewhat scattered collection of misnamed 'moments'. As expected, the comments from viewers present a variety of other plausible historical candidates.

For a curated and extensive coverage of the history of cameras, I'd recommend the 472-page book 500 Cameras by Todd Gustavson, then Curator of Technology at George Eastman House in Rochester NY. (2011, Sterling Publishing Co., Ltd.).

Here's a short video that has reached a fairly good viewership, but low-key compared to T&C:

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-26-2019 at 12:15 PM.
10-26-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tony cleared their shelves almost a year ago including Pentax stuff, I doubt they’ll mention any Pentax gear again, including the new APS-C.
They focus on SoCanIkon.