Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe and just very maybe everyone is waiting for the new Pentax from 2020.
For the rest, you might or might not be correct. I checked the JPY against the USD and that went completely contra. That means that the USD value of the camera’s should be reasonably stable, except for ‘19. Prices in USD are approximately 356-408-419 for 19-18-17. I think the 19 drop is remarkable, maybe people that are buying in the higher pricerange are waiting/stalling. I do not follow the discount actions that might have a negative impact on the average price. If there are a lot of these it could explain the drop. The line of reasoning could be “we need the volumes to go up, so lets drop the price”. If volumes do not pick up considerably you are shooting yourselve in the proverbial foot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm not so sure since the average shipment price of DSLRs (as reported by CIPA) has constantly declined in the last few years, indicating a shift of the product mix towards entry-level cameras.

In the first nine months of 2019 this average shipment price reached ¥38,841 vs ¥44,902 in 2018 and ¥46,988 in 2007.

Such figures seem to point out that it's mostly the hobbyists (and may be some professionals too) who refrain from buying a new DSLR, in particular since Canon and Nikon entered the 24x36 mirrorless arena: they are waiting for the mirrorless vs. DSLR situation to settle. On the other hand, there seem to be plenty of soccer moms to still buy an entry-level DSLR to capture the feats of their latest and greatest.