Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #106
2B1
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
In acquiring Pentax as a camera brand, Ricoh had the interesting background that it was once second-fiddle and direct K-mount competitor to Asahi Optical Co., if I remember correctly. Ricoh were M42, then they adopted the K mount right after Pentax brought it out. However, IIRC Ricoh got out of the SLR business at the start of the autofocus era, as did the third K-mount wheel, Chinon.

Pentax coming under Ricoh's control is cosmic justice. I can't see Olympus's design philosophy and good name surviving takeover by any other company than Panasonic. They have the advantage that the lenses and cameras are cross-compatible anyway; it's the most logical step, if Panasonic wants it.
Cosmic Justice.......Ricoh own Pentax......get over it, they have done a grand job in changing market conditions.

If Panasonic ever purchased Olympus camera division.It would be the start of the end of the Olympus name.

11-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
Cosmic Justice.......Ricoh own Pentax......get over it, they have done a grand job in changing market conditions.
I wasn't intending to belittle them - I was saying what an appropriate irony it is that the originator of the K mount ended up in the hands of what used to be its pale shadow.
11-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #108
2B1
Forum Member

OK...Cheers
11-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #109
Pentaxian

I wasn't intending to belittle them - I was saying what an appropriate irony it is that the originator of the K mount ended up in the hands of what used to be its pale shadow.
Reasoning a bit further, you should envisage Ricoh to buy Nikon Imaging Products since the first SLR camera with interchangeable lenses launched by Ricoh, the Ricoh Singlex introduced in 1962, had a Nikon F mount. (The Ricoh Singlex, sold as Sears SL-11 in the USA, was a further development of the Nikkorex F made by Mamiya for Nikon.)

11-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Reasoning a bit further, you should envisage Ricoh to buy Nikon Imaging Products since the first SLR camera with interchangeable lenses launched by Ricoh, the Ricoh Singlex introduced in 1962, had a Nikon F mount. (The Ricoh Singlex, sold as Sears SL-11 in the USA, was a further development of the Nikkorex F made by Mamiya for Nikon.)
Would the Nikon crowd react the same way to a Nikon bearing a Ricoh logo, as happened here? I’d like to see that.
11-25-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Nikon falls the industry will be poorer, if Olympus falls the same can be said. But if they do, I hope someone rescues the brand and the technology and it doesn't end up like Samsung where an interesting and promising camera line just vanished without even a farewell.
11-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If Nikon falls the industry will be poorer, if Olympus falls the same can be said. But if they do, I hope someone rescues the brand and the technology and it doesn't end up like Samsung where an interesting and promising camera line just vanished without even a farewell.
There’s a couple of differences, though. Firstly, Samsung’s camera or at least optical business wasn’t part of their origin. Secondly, Samsung operates its business in what could politely be described as a very selective fashion: both Hoya and Apple have experienced some of their less straightforward practices.

11-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
Many Pentaxians were unaware of the limitations placed on Ricoh, by Hoya on the Pentax name , including myself.
However , I have no issues with Ricoh branded DSLR or lens.

Incidentally if Ricoh ever move into M/L , I would be quite happy withe the Ricoh branded M/L, even if they retained the K mount.
What limitations are those?
11-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was cleaning up the list of threads here that I am still subscribed to and found this almost 6 year old one: Trouble for Olympus - PentaxForums.com
One post had a link to an article in the Korea Times, which stated "Even a latecomer like Samsung is aiming high to become a major supplier of mirrorless cameras in the next few years ㅡ a threatening factor for Olympus." And now you know the rest of the story.

Looking back on some of my own predictions, I am surprised that even though the bottom of the standalone camera market is dropping faster than foreseen, the inevitable changes in the camera manufacturing industry are taking longer than expected.
11-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #115
Pentaxian

I have often thought the same thing. In the film era Pentax owners looked down on Ricoh owners. I should know - I was one of those snobs.
11-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have often thought the same thing. In the film era Pentax owners looked down on Ricoh owners. I should know - I was one of those snobs.
And I was one of those Ricoh users. I forgive you.

I used my two Ricoh XR-M's for several years. It is a pretty impressive camera. I also liked that they used AA batteries and the little Speedlight PX flash that you could clip onto the side of that camera turned out to be a lot handier that I thought it would. I literally used those cameras from coast to coast here in the USA for over a decade. Still have them too.
11-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Would the Nikon crowd react the same way to a Nikon bearing a Ricoh logo, as happened here? I’d like to see that.
First and foremost, Nikon isn't going anywhere, so Nikon user wont have to worry about such a scenario.
11-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
First and foremost, Nikon isn't going anywhere, so Nikon user wont have to worry about such a scenario.
Tell me you didn't take my post seriously, kevin.
11-27-2019, 10:24 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I wouldn't be so affirmative if I were you.

Nikon are now forecasting an operating loss for their Imaging Products business in FY2020/3 (the current fiscal year). Whilst limited in percentage of revenue this loss is not anecdotal in value: ¥10bn, that's 92 million US dollars.

Besides, the Imaging Products business still generates more than 40% of the Nikon group's consolidated revenue.

In addition, Nikon's other businesses are performing poorly with limited profitability, negative for the (small) Medical business.

Should the profitability of Imaging Products go further south and the other businesses not improve the whole Nikon group would be in trouble.

The situation of the Olympus group is different: their Imaging business is bleeding money (operating loss for FY2020 1H = 30% of revenue) but it's tiny: its revenue represents 5.5% of the group's consolidated revenue. In addition, Olympus's Medical business is very profitable. The Olympus group's future is therefore not at stake.
11-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon can probably weather the storm, but they have forecast negative revenue through 2020. They are probably going to have do some restructuring, cut back on new camera development and number of models and a number of other things to get themselves in decent shape for the declining market.

It was probably a good thing that they launched the Z mount cameras, but clearly it was expensive and they didn't sell as well as they had expected.