Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Well ... this has been excellent research as I never knew there were that many online stores here that cater for Pentax ... it is good to know.

11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great work Chris!!! Will certainly make shopping easier now, especially with my first new lens purchase coming up in December (oh how I wish it was December already)

x Mel
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Look, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, especially you people and your bubbles, but simply having a store saying "We have Pentax gear" is not exactly a glowing recommendation.

Walk into to any other these and I'd almost bet my f1.2 50mm this is what you would find:

Seven cabinets of Canon gear, six of Nikon, four of Olympus, and this isn't counting P&S cams. There'll be one (1) shelf (this shelf being one of the ledges inside a cabinet that had space left over from housing the secondhand Canon Speedlites) containing a grand total of...one Samsung GX10 with Schneider 18-55, one K200D with Sigma 18-55, and one K10D with again, sadly, a Sigma 18-200 on it. Note that the K10D is only there because someone ordered it and didn't pick it up. There might, and this is a very big might, be a Sigma flash as well.

Ask any of the staff there about Pentax and they'll give you a look like you've just walked in there naked and grown a second head (there's a Tasmania joke in there, but levity would detract from my seriousness). They'll look it up on the computer, and then give you a price and ETA which are both significantly larger than what you pay getting it from B&H. They won't have heard of any of the rarer (DA*, for example) stuff, or anything that's less than six months old. Go on. Ask them about the 43mm Limited.

They'll say, "We don't sell much Pentax gear". That means they'd like to end the conversation, and move on to someone who promises commission.

You know when you buy junk food that's labelled with something like "All natural colours and flavours"? To qualify as a natural flavour, the flavours only need to have a single atom of actual, natural component. It's the same nebulous logic the camera stores are using. All you have to do is a carry a Pentax neckstrap, and, bam, you sell Pentax gear.
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #34
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, nice work for putting that list together, Chris.
I'd agree with Lithos on this one - I haven't even bothered to add in some of the stores in Brisbane and Toowoomba I know have Pentax stuff - they all stock less than what Lithos predicted and guide you to their latest and exciting Canon and Nikon cams.

Even the most reliable sources listed on the CRK - Pentax Aus website are pretty lack lustre in their range of Pentax gear. And those Cash Converter stores - really, are they gonna stock gear that we would want?

But good effort, nonetheless - it might benefit some Aussies, but I'd hazard to guess the majority of us enthusiasts on PF are looking for more than what these listed places can offer.

11-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for contributing - and if anyone has any additions or comments regarding suppliers please pass them on.

WRT Lithos and Ashes comment about the lack of Pentax shelving - that wasn't really the point, as I've seen it too.

What I'm trying to do with this thread is identify good, knowledgable suppliers of Pentax kit - used as well as new. I can remember a time when you could walk into 4 or 5 camera shops (not discount chains) and see shelves full of used camera kit. Those days are gone. But the fact remains, as we all know, used Pentax lenses are some of the best around, and if we can get our hands on that locally (given the parlous state of the AUD$) then its to our advantage!

So whilst I agree that the camera shops don't have a lot of new Pentax kit, there are some gems out there that know their stuff and deserve our custom.

Please, keep the list of names coming if you can.....
11-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #36

FWIW, Kirks Cameras in Ringwood has a proportional display of Pentax gear to Canon and Nikon. Its not equal, but it's proportional to the range of the respective companies. They have a good selection of DA and DA* glass from Pentax and also glass from 3rd parties in Pentax mount. They carry some S/H stuff, when it comes in, and there are at least 2 guys there who really know their Pentax line-up. I have seen one of these guys twice say "how about a Pentax?" to a customer, and make the sale. They really are old-school, "tool for the job" guys.
11-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #37

Ok then, here is a regional viewpoint for northern NSW

The New CameraHouse in Lismore is my local place of choice.

Wades World in Tweed Heads is also good.

More than just a single body with a kit lens. Talking to the friendly girls at the New CameraHouse and things are picking up for Pentax (at least locally) with many people buying elsewhere the K200D's at Officeworks, RetraVision, etc and now looking for something extra.
11-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update 16-Nov-2008

Greetings Aussie Pentaxians!

The updated Pentax new and used list is below:

I've included the hyperlink (or a link to an info site) where possible and indicated New/Used or Both at the end

Enjoy the list - please keep them coming in. I know that not all the suppliers carry a lot of Pentax, but knowing they are there, and keeping an eye on the used market may help someone.....And it certainly looks like there are some gems in non-CBD areas.

Shame about Qld having limited support - but I suppose its good for the Market Place here and online traders!

Adelaide
PhotoCo Camera House, Adelaide Central Market Both (see the used list!)
Twin City Camera House, 120 Grenfell Street Both
Camerahouse, City Cross Arcade (same as Twin City) Both
Diamonds, Rundle Street New
Cash Converters, Gouger St. (near Morphett St) Used
Photographic Wholesalers, 47 Hutt St New
L&P Photgraphic Supplies, 10 College St., Kent Town Both
Cash Converters (assorted locations: see web listing) Used

Brisbane

Hobart

Melbourne
Michaels, 265-269 Elizabeth Street New
Camera Lane, 391 Little Bourke St Both
Camera House, 217 Elizabeth St New/ ? Used
Camera Exchange, 377 Lonsdale Street Both
Peony Garden, 283 Lit Lonsdale St Melbourne Both
Greensborough Photo & Video New
Borge's Imaging, Port Melbourne Both
Digital Camera Warehouse, 367 High St, Northcote New
Vanbar, Carlton, North Melbourne Both
Kirks Cameras, Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood (At least one of the store guys is a Pentax owner and user) Both (some s/h)
Croydon Camera House, Main St, Croydon Both (ebay listing)
Ted's Cameras, Eastland Shopping Centre, Ringwood New

Perth
Camera Electronic Stirling Street, Perth Both

Sydney
DigitalCameraWarehouse, 174 Canterbury Rd Canterbury New
FotoRiesel (CameraHouse), 364a Kent St, Sydney Both according to an AusPhotography.net comment
Craig Morton's Camera, Richmond NSW, Both
Paxtons, multiple locations, New
Camera House, Marrickville New
Madsens, Wollongong, New/? - and they seem to really like Pentax from their home page!

Northern New South Wales
New CameraHouse, Lismore New
Wades World, Tweed Heads Both

National and Online
CR Kennedy/Pentax - Australian Distributors
Digital Camera Warehouse Australia
Dirt Cheap Stores
Digital Fun Stuff
www.camera-warehouse.com.au
Camerastore.com.au (same as Diamonds)
www.Teds.com.au
www.camerahouse.com.au
Cashconverters web shop
Photographic Trader magazine - Sold in newsagents

BTW if there are any errors or omissions please PM me and I'll correct it.

11-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Chris ... you have really done some excellent work here in collating this all in one post.

Actually ... so has everyone else here as well ... adding the stores they know and trust as well. Gotta love the Pentax Community though ... it really makes life a lot easier when it comes to finding information.

There's also online stores I never knew about before ... so this information has been excellent for me ... Thank you again.
11-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump

Just a bump to keep this thread alive!

If anyone has other stores or updates on the stores listed please pass them on.

Thanks to all for your contributions so far!

Cheers
11-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Chris,

thanks for the work. heading to Perth in a few days.
I know where to go...

joli surnom.
11-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #42

Hi guys,

Great thread. I am new here. I just bought my K200D from Fletchers in cnr of King / York st. Sydney. They run the website dirtcheapcameras.com.au. They were fantastic with their pricing (body for just AUD559). They seem to have good deals with pentax+sigma combos.

Another shop that needs a mention here is Grace's second hand cameras in Kings cross. That was just about the only shop in all of Sydney that I could buy a M42 to K mount adapter. Here, I also picked up a beautiful super takumar 135/3.5 mm lens with case / hood / filter for only AUD90.

One suggestion - could we also put out forums etc. on which we can find useful Pentax gear (esp second hand) for sale ?
12-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

BSD lover ... the market place on this forum here is an excellent place to purchase 2nd hand items ... although most users are in the US/Canada ... I have purchase the majority of my M42 lenses from here ... when the Aussie $ was much better though.

Good to know about the shop in Kings Cross.
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #44

Michaels sells secondhand stuff too. look in the window on lonsdale st. it's there. that's where i got my Tamron Adaptall 24mm F2.5 + PK mount
12-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Melbourne Resource

I was just in Shutter-Box in Toorak Road, Camberwell (just by the railway bridge). They are primarily a camera repair shop, but they do have new and second-hand gear for sale. John, the guy there, uses a K10D in the shop for passport photos and has two MXs, I think, for his own use. He had K20D and K200D new bodies for sale, some new lenses and a fair range of second-hand lenses.

Shutter-Box Camera Repairs