Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vintech 5th Floor, 358 Lonsdale St, Melbourne, VIC 3000
They repair lenses and cameras, also have used lenses and cameras of varying brands in stock. It's up to the 5th floor in an ancient elevator and none to swish building.
They're a friendly lot there and ever so helpful.

04-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #77

Grace's Camera Store

Hi Guys,

3rd and final recon for second hand gear in Sydney. I had my offsider drop me in the city while he went and did a job. Rocked up to - Grace's Camera Store, 191 Victoria St, Potts Point (Kings Cross).

Now I'd been here before, but he was closed. Today, he was open. I walked in and was greeted by cabinets full of used lenses. Things were looking up. I then asked Mr Grace what he had in the way of K Mount Pentax gear.

This is where things got dissappointing. He only had 2 Kmount lenses. A Makinon F8 (constant) 500mm mirror lens and a Sigma 17-35 EX F2.8-F4. Both were very nice lenses.

Mr Grace was pretty cool. Very happy to chat, and very happy for me to whack the lenses on my K200D and wander outside for some shots. (Attached below)

He had heaps of Nikkon and Olympus gear - a lot of adaptall Tamron lenses (but no Kmount adapters sadly) He had some old film bodies of all types, and says he often gets digital bodies in but they don't stay long.Sadly he informed me that they really don't see a lot of Pentax, and when they do it sells very quickly. He seems to think people hang onto their Kmount lenses and m42s are in demand from Canikons and anyone else who can adapt them.

He did have a website at some point, but he's an older guy and seems to have been scammed by someone offering him lifetime domain registration - which has ironically expired. I didn't go to the trouble of offering him my card (I do websites and hosting for my clients) because he was talking my ear off at this point and I wanted to go.

He was happy for me to poke through his stuff looking for a magnifying eyepiece that would fit, and also showed me his range of filters even though I wasn't buying. All in all, cool dude, cool shop. I'll probably give him a call from time to time to see what he's got. Maybe see if he's got an email address.

Bottom line - once again, don't make the trip out expecting the holy grail of used gear. Definitely worth popping in if you're in the area, or giving him a call if you're interested in his gear.

Photos!

First two are the F8 500m Makinon. I was very impressed with it. Bear in mind these were handheld and I could only bump it to 1/350 with available light. He was asking $150 au for this lens and I think I might have to give him a call and make an offer.

Note the cool circular bokeh the mirror lens creates.

Name:  IMGP3292.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  37.0 KB
Name:  IMGP3293.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  30.7 KB

Second two are with the Sigma EX 17-35mm 2.8-4

This was a bloody nice lens too - he wanted $450. Not sure if it's reasonable, but it's a pawn shop so I'm sure he would deal.

I would have considered it if I hadn't just snapped up a DA* 16-50.

The inside shot shows exactly what I saw walking in the door. I thought it was the promised land, but I'll just have to wait a little longer.

If anyone else knows of second hand camera shops around Sydney I'll be happy to recon more.

Name:  IMGP3296.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  78.0 KB
Name:  IMGP3301.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  74.6 KB

Note: His store may not be for the faint of heart (or fairer sex) The old lady in the picture, who was pawning a ring, reeked of urine, so bad he had to spray deodouriser all over the shop when he left. Also, in the 20 min I was there a very jumpy, jittery, junkie rocked up trying to hock a watch. I enjoyed the adventure, but others might not.

Last edited by Skyntara; 04-09-2009 at 03:28 AM.
04-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

geez, what do you expect for a place at kings cross :P

also, foto riesel might be fine to stay on the list... they can order things from CR Kennedy fine (they did for me when i bought a D-BG2 a couple months ago...)... but the 2nd hand stuff is probably a tough one... but it is nice to browse through their glass cabinets of old stuff
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Well ... at least you know now that getting used K-mount and M42 gear in shops is going to be difficult.

I have that Sigma 17-35 f/2.8-4 lens ... and I purchased it from O/S even when the AUD$ was bad ... and it was still cheaper than what that shop offered. I used this lens now as my kit lens replacement.

04-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update 14-April

Greetings again Aussie Pentaxians!

News:
  • Thanks for the continuuing updates - added/edited
  • I agree with Mechan1k - there is a paucity of 2nd hand Pentax kit out there - but at least we have a good idea where to look!

This thread aims to provide details of knowledgable stockists of used Pentax gear. The supermarket types are in here too - but only for the sake of completeness

Structure:
  • Town/Region
  • Vendor name, address etc
  • Hyperlink included where possible (or a link to an info site)
  • where possible New/Used or Both are indicated
  • Service quality included if provided

Enjoy and use the list - please drop any updates in this thread or send me a PM to add/correct to the database

I know that not all the suppliers carry a lot of Pentax, but knowing they are there, and keeping an eye on the used market may help someone.....And it certainly looks like there are some gems in non-CBD areas.

So, the current Pentax new and used list is below:

Adelaide
  • PhotoCo Camera House, Adelaide Central Market Both (see the used list!) Good knowledge - Owner reports low Pentax s/hand stock due to high demand
  • Twin City Camera House, 120 Grenfell Street Both Good service and knowledge, one guy is a K20D owner & loves it, very helpful, does sensor cleaning in house, and seems to have the pros visiting too
  • Camerahouse, City Cross Arcade (same as Twin City) Both
  • Diamonds, Rundle Street New
  • Cash Converters, Gouger St. (near Morphett St) Used
  • Photographic Wholesalers, 47 Hutt St New Good knowledge
  • Total Photographic Supplies, 10 College St., Kent Town (formerly L&P Photographic Supplies) Both Very good knowledge (& good prices)
  • Cash Converters (assorted locations: see web listing) Used

Brisbane
  • Teds, 150 Adelaide St, Brisbane New - local Qld link only
  • JB HiFi New - local Qld link only
  • Photo Continental, 1480 Logan Rd, Mount Gravatt Central New

Hobart
  • Nil

Melbourne

Perth
Sydney
  • DigitalCameraWarehouse, 174 Canterbury Rd Canterbury New
  • FotoRiesel (CameraHouse), 364a Kent St, Sydney Both according to an AusPhotography.net comment. Likely to be off the list soon due to inadequate stock!
  • Craig Morton's Camera, Richmond NSW, New - Lots of Pentax gear but no money in used gear - will try to get in gear despite CR Kennedy
  • Paxtons, multiple locations, New
  • Camera House, Marrickville New
  • Madsens, Wollongong, New/? - and they seem to really like Pentax from their home page!
  • Fletchers Fotographics, 32 York Street, Sydney - New - good service reported. Its the pick up point(& possible owner) for Dirt Cheap Cameras
  • Grace's Camera Store, 191 Victoria St, Potts Point (Kings Cross). Both "Heaps" of good second hand reported - not much Pentax (sells too fast), Helpful and chatty owner - but be warned its Kings Cross, Open M,W, Th, F 10am-4pm. Website not active
  • Camera Warehouse, Royal Express (Kodak Express), 22a Level 6, MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Place, Sydney. New Friendly and helpful
  • DigiDirect. New No shopfront, but pickup from level 16, Westfield Tower 2 - 101 Grafton Street, Bondi Junction
  • Georges Camera, 387 George Street & 56 York Street, Sydney, New - Service reportedly sub-par (and I can confirm that! Got sold a dodgy, damaged blower that covered my sensor in muck )
  • Tom Saade's Camera House Level 2, Westfield Shopping Centre, Church Street, Paramatta New - Good range reported and even has DA* lenses

Northern New South Wales
National and Online
For all those that have added information or subscribe to this thread - I hope your finding the kit you need.

BTW if there are any errors or omissions please PM me and I'll correct it.

Cheers
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #81

Just something to add, maybe as a reminder to people who knows, and inform all the new Aussie Pentaxian.

Do you know that you can ask CR Kennedy to price match international deals if they ship to Australia? B&H, Adorama, Ebays comes to mind.

Malcolm Kennedy (the boss) had posted in another forum, promised to price match any grey import. Hence you will still get local warranty.

I personally has tried to contact them recently on some of the great overseas deals, and thanks to the improved exchange rate, I'm getting DA 35mm for about half of the RRP here.

You can contact them via this address: sales@crkennedy.com.au.
Just remember to include the link of the deals, and wait for their reply.

Cheers, Mike
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Just something to add, maybe as a reminder to people who knows, and inform all the new Aussie Pentaxian.

Do you know that you can ask CR Kennedy to price match international deals if they ship to Australia? B&H, Adorama, Ebays comes to mind.

Malcolm Kennedy (the boss) had posted in another forum, promised to price match any grey import. Hence you will still get local warranty.

I personally has tried to contact them recently on some of the great overseas deals, and thanks to the improved exchange rate, I'm getting DA 35mm for about half of the RRP here.

You can contact them via this address: sales@crkennedy.com.au.
Just remember to include the link of the deals, and wait for their reply.

Cheers, Mike
Mike - that is absolute gold!

Given that CR Kennedy import Pentax, Sigma, Slik and Metz gear (to name the obvious stuff), this is really valuable knowledge.

I also found this statement on the CR Kennedy web site......hmmmmm

Cheers
06-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #83

yes.. about the grey imports.. they will charge us for any repair works.. .unless we send the faulty product back to the original vendor who sell it to us... not fun at all.

I know some people tried to obtain the Pentax international warranty card in order to get CR Kennedy to take a warranty job.

08-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #84

There is another store in Bentleigh Victoria that stumbled across in the photographic trader. Photographic warehouse. I gave him a call since I am forever chasing primes. He had quite a long list of lenses including old taks. However, I think he might be quite expensive at $120 for SMC 55 f1.8 tak?? Anyone actually been to his shop? what are you views on his prices?
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by InKeepingSecrets Quote
I think he might be quite expensive at $120 for SMC 55 f1.8 tak??
No, he is not quite expensive, he is EXTREMELY expensive.

"Tell him he's dreaming, son." quoting from "The Castle".

If that is an example of his pricing I would avoid him completely.

Last edited by rayallen; 08-04-2009 at 02:45 AM.
08-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #86
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by InKeepingSecrets Quote
There is another store in Bentleigh Victoria that stumbled across in the photographic trader. Photographic warehouse. I gave him a call since I am forever chasing primes. He had quite a long list of lenses including old taks. However, I think he might be quite expensive at $120 for SMC 55 f1.8 tak?? Anyone actually been to his shop? what are you views on his prices?
Mate, remember, Photographic Trader is a collector's magazine, first and foremost. You're meant to be buying that Tak so you can sit it in your hermetically-sealed, temperature-monitored and humidity-controlled display cabinet for ten years and then sell it for fifty dollars more than you paid for it.

It's got some good deals, but I've seen the same ads run in the magazine for eight months, because, dammit, that mint Pentax M f1.7 50mm is worth $250, because, dammit, it's old and only got, like, one mark on the lens mount.
08-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Peony Garden is purely second hand in its stock, you might want to edit it Chris, and possibly add the Fauly Towers of retail outlets. The way they display their stock is best described as quirky but they do carry the occassional gem in there.
01-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #88
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Time to revive and update this old thread.

I was in Melbourne yesterday trying to get a minor repair on a lens. I went to Camera Lane on the corner of Hardware and Little Bourke Sts. They still carry used cameras/lenses, including some Pentax, but they don't do camera or lens repairs any more - they had two technicians but both have now retired and have not been replaced. They recommended vintech camera repairs – camera service in Lonsdale St (opposite Micheal's). The guy there could not have been more helpful. They service a wide range of cameras and lenses - film and digital, video cameras, etc - including Pentax, and carry a small range of used gear (including some Vivitar/Pentax/Takumar). Their standard fee is $88 for a quote on a repair; if you proceed with the repair, that fee goes towards the repair. They also offer sensor cleaning, memory card data recovery and transfer of media (e.g. slide scanning, film to DVD etc).
01-16-2017, 03:00 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Mate, remember, Photographic Trader is a collector's magazine
Is that mag. still going?