Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 01:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If Pentax is doomed then Pentax Forums are doomed too

11-28-2019, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Don't forget that dino's disappeared because of an external factor, if FB is going to disappear like the dinosaurs did, it would the FTC, DoJ antitrust division, the European Commission's DG Comp and every other antitrust/consumer protection and privacy authority in the world to come down on them like a ton of bricks. It may, however, destroy itself from the inside as people find out that it isn't for free and that they're actually engaged in meaningless interactions (like exchanging cat photos). Forums like Pentax Forums, however, thrive on content and actual and meaningfull exchanges, based on a shared interest and willingness to exchange.

I like the bubble observation, but I'm not afraid that we'll go down that route, unless we only care about Pentax and not about photography in general and thus the availabilty of other tools to engage with photography.

As to the privacy and the internet thing, there's more to it than just blocking adds or add trackers. Just Googling something is close to selling your soul to the devil if you really care about privacy.
11-28-2019, 03:58 AM - 4 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't particularly see Forums going away. They have been around basically since use net groups and are a way of connecting people with similar interests but disparate locations.

Facebook is a bit different. It has gotten a bad reputation for selling data, has changed their algorithms to try to get people to pay for advertising their businesses and postings and just generally has behaved like a big company not totally interested in its users. It still is pretty popular and there are probably segments on it that act like a Forum

I do think the civilized tone here is one of the reasons I stick around. Discussions can become really polarized. "Sony sucks! Pentax rules!" Or vice versa is not the sort of discussion I am interested in. We still have our pointless arguments about EVFs or importance of video or the death of SLRs, but even there, I think the tone is better than on many Forums and certainly on Twitter.

I am going to chalk that up to a wonderful set of Moderators. They do a pretty thankless job, but do it in an excellent fashion and without them, we'd probably get pretty polarized and devolve into personal attacks (which is never warranted but happens all too often on the inter-webs).
12-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I really do not see Pentax Forums as social media and with something about Toyota Landcruisers it is the only thing that I am subscribed to. Not as a social interaction ( although it can be quite amusing sometimes ), but to learn from what is posted and as has been said, the moderators do an excellent job in weeding out trolls and the such and it is not know as the friendly forum for nothing. Not to mention high grade information. By looking a the nasty and uncalled for aggression in other similar forums, this is a serene paradise and should survive for longer that FB at least

12-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Messaging boards and forums aren't generally considered social media are they?
12-02-2019, 02:10 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I learn a lot from Pemtax Forums - there are people here who know a lot more about how cameras work than I do - and some advice too about more unusual techniques, as well as an understanding of different attitudes and approaches to photography that might not have occurred to me otherwise
My feelings exactly.
12-04-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Actually, the dinosaurs didn't disappear. There are over 10 000 species of dinosaurs living right now...
12-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, the dinosaurs didn't disappear. There are over 10 000 species of dinosaurs living right now...
Interesting, I never thought about it like that. Sharks and crocodiles, for instance, are known to have been around for a log time. Cockroaches as well, I think.

12-07-2019, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive been involved in a non-camera forum now intimately for about 18 years as an admin. My comments here are based on that and are my opinions.

I think whether a forum survives or not is up to the members that generate content and the administrators that set the tone through their management policies.

Forums do come and go and facebook and its kind have had a terrible effect on many. Facebook is a scourge on forums in general not just by offering a different platforms to the younger generations but more by its removal of Discussion from social media... everything is abbreviated.The discussions that occur on forums are different..They have depth. Theres also a history to forums.. A forum like this one has a database you can search.. You can read discussions from.years ago and learn from them. Facebook is here today gone tomorrow content. Facebook is like a coffee shop.People go there they chat and then leave... the content whatever little it was is lost in the next day....into the gaping maw of the facebook machine to be packaged and sold. A forum isa vast library and keeper of content.

Pentaxforums has survived as long as it has because of its membership posting content, asking questions and sharing info.. But by far its because of Adam and the team of moderators past and present that have helped guide it and shape it. Forums without active participation by members die and those without active leadership die.

I hope this forum is here for years to come. It is important to this hobby that it does .

Just my views... no offense meant to facebook usersas by facebook's success it obviously filled a niche that people like and wanted.... but it has some seriously negative aspects in my view.

Al
12-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #40
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forums will be around as long as camera users find them interesting and useful, regardless of manufacturer decisions. So, no, camera forums are not doomed. Forums, by design are a better vehicle for discussion threads and interaction than social media sites.
12-11-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Interesting, I never thought about it like that. Sharks and crocodiles, for instance, are known to have been around for a log time. Cockroaches as well, I think.
Birds are the only direct descendants of dinosaurs still living.
12-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Facebook is a lot different than forums, since it primarily caters to relationship-based interaction rather than topic-based discussion. Forums are a pretty ancient method by internet standards and still survive in many places. I think Facebook will wither away to be replaced by newer variants but forums are a staple of the internet.
12-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Facebook is doomed but other platforms will pop up.
12-14-2019, 02:37 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I hope this forum and others stay, they have been around much longer than the narcissistic social media where all anyone cares about is blurting information about how good they are to make them feel all warm and fuzzy when other people act like they give a shit.
12-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #45

Sites like photo.net have been around since the early 90s, and photography is still one of the most popular hobbies, even if smartphones eat up the market, just evolving into a new form. Sites may come and go, social media may evolve or die (Myspace and Digg vs FB and Reddit), but it will still exist in one form or another as people will still have questions and want to share.

Nothing much better has come along to replace e-mail, although now I get a lot of texts as well related to my job functions, we still get faxes at work, and people use film.