Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera forums to disappear like dinosaurs?

I've read quite a few articles from people who finally decided to quit social media after what they considered wasting time for many years. Some social psychologists even predict that facebook will die due to having a business models based on selling user privacy data to third party companies. What the world will be like when social media will have gone bankrupt? Or how will camera forums be transformed so that users don't feel like they are a waste of time? One of the thing I'm wondering, given how much time is spent, is if forums are only for retired people , or if not using internet forum will give the active professional a competitive edge over those who spend time on internet forums.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-27-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: change title
11-27-2019, 11:00 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learn a lot from Pemtax Forums - there are people here who know a lot more about how cameras work than I do - and some advice too about more unusual techniques, as well as an understanding of different attitudes and approaches to photography that might not have occurred to me otherwise

Last edited by ffking; 11-27-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
11-27-2019, 11:01 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Computers, tablets and phones are all part of the privacy thing too. People aren't giving them up.

Specific social media sites will come and go. Each upcoming generation wants to get away from the places their parents hang out. But kids today don't give a damn about privacy from my observation. Give them a phone with all kinds of cool features and they won't care how much information it gives away about them much like social media
11-27-2019, 11:27 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Forums have been around long before modern social media. I predict they'll be around long after. Forums are more like the old BBS systems of the day. Social Media sites like FB, etc... are by and large largely impersonal, but forums tend to be more like communities, which people can have meaningful interaction through, seeing the same posters year over year. Sites like FB on the other hand, tend to be more impersonal, and resort to trying to find every possible way to keep you on the platform as long as possible through things like games, or adding video, news, etc... In short for the TLDR people, FORUMS ARE NOT DOOMED.

11-27-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Some social psychologists even predict that facebook will die due to having a business models based on selling user privacy data to third party companies
I am not a big user of FB but have seen about 1/3 of my friends leave or just stop posting following the data scandals.

The only other social media platform I use Twitter has just become a nasty argument forum. Very ugly
11-27-2019, 11:33 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I stay away from Facebook and Twitter, but I like forums just fine!
11-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've been on forums since forever. I think forums will be around for a long time.

Don't have any social networking accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & so forth & so on. Something else will eventually take their space. Just look at what happened to MySpace.

11-27-2019, 11:58 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I don't see any reason why to use FB, Twitter, etc., there are plenty reasons why to use Pentaxforums :-).
11-27-2019, 12:22 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Camera forums to disappear like dinosaurs?
Well, the Mesozoic Era -- the age of the dinosaurs -- lasted for about 180 million years, so I would think we have plenty of time left to participate in countless forums and threads. I think we're good.

As for me, Pentax Forums is the only camera forum I actively participate in. It's generally thoughtful, interesting, well managed and moderated, and full of good information. Yes, I'm retired, and I spend a bit of time here each day.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-27-2019 at 12:34 PM.
11-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think there can/should always be places for people to come together and share information around a topic or a unified interest. The execution/operation of the forum may morph over time (what doesn't?), but the underlying exchange of info and ideas will hopefully live on in some recognizable form.

Social media (Tw, FB, etc) may or may not stick around in the current form - I just don't know. I have managed to evade FB for the entire time it has existed and I don't feel I am missing anything even though many of my friends (real ones, not just cyber friends) do complain because they say I'm missing out (on what they post).
11-27-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #11

Topic-specific forums like this will be around as long as (a) there's a community to rally around it and (b) there are gracious/intrepid souls to host it. (Hat tip @Adam.)

I don't expect FB to go the way of myspace, but it certainly lost a lot of its "taking over everything" momentum after we learned that it was using us more than we were using it.
11-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

forum yes, twitter, instagram, FB is not on my list
11-27-2019, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PENTAX PENTAX FORUMS is dooomed!!!
11-27-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Forums is the only forum I go to, with some images on Flickr specifically for P.F..

Face book, twitter, snapchat, instagram, whatsapp, QQ, wechat, qzone, tumblr, skype, viber, line, pinterest, linkedin, reddit, telegram, foursquare, tagged, badoo, myspace, snapfish, reverbnation, tik tok, youtube and many more... and gaming...

It is all rubbish, add in mobile phones and tablets, it is all time wasters, designed to dumb you down, even numb you down. The number of people I see on mobile phones while driving is shocking, I suppose they are too numbed down to know about having hands free talk. But then they are all addicted to phones these days. They think they have to be in contact with everyone, every five minutes of the day, that is time wasting.

But some forums, not all, will persist.

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-27-2019 at 04:38 PM.
11-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
As for me, Pentax Forums is the only camera forum I actively participate in. It's generally thoughtful, interesting, well managed and moderated, and full of good information. Yes, I'm retired, and I spend a bit of time here each day.

- Craig
Exactly the S ame for me; only Pentax Forums.