Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on the little we know for certain and the sheer fact that they have been able to sustain and evolve both their own camera line and the Pentax system since they took over, I'd say Ricoh's strategy has worked out remarkably well so far. This is not a small feat in such difficult times for the whole industry, and I don't think they always get the credit they deserve for that.

Therefore, I have little advice to offer, except maybe this: For all the efforts to build the FF system (and keeping MF alive), don't neglect APS-C, which has always been something of a sweet spot of Pentax DSLRs. Not as bulky and cumbersome as FF can be yet almost as capable as that, and considerably better IQ than MFT, particularly at higher ISOs. Apart from Fujifilm, Pentax is just about the only system that takes APS-C seriously and probably should continue to do so. This would include efforts to renew their optically mostly brilliant but old-tech-SDM-marred DA* line and, perhaps, also adding features like automated focus stacking/bracketing, which are currently only found in Olympus and Lumix MFT cameras, and would considerably boost the attractiveness of the Pentax system for macro photographers. (Is there any major technical obstacle for implementing this in a DSLR, I wonder.)

K-new in the works and lenses like the marvellous DA*11-18 (plus updates to some existing lenses) certainly underline Ricoh's ongoing commitment to Pentax APS-C, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more in that regard.

12-02-2019, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #17

New mirrorless mount with K adaptor is doable. That would be the best way to solve the issue with lenses availability.

Same like Sony did with Minolta/Alpha lenses. Same like Nikon Z uses for F lenses. Same like Canon R uses for EOS lenses.... And it might be also way to adapt other mount lenses and easily overcome some missing options this way.

Imagine for example Pentax FF camera that can use both Kmount lenses and EOS mount lenses... that would significantly improve market position. Are you missing 24/1.4 lens? Just get the Sigma EOS 24/1.4 ART and you are good to go.

Using L mount is worse idea, because that means that Lmount - K mount adaptor will be available and all people fed with Pentax can switch to other camera and use old lenses...
12-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know why I read posts like this, much less why I might respond. Does Ricoh read these?

Anyway.

My phone takes pictures at 18mm APS-C equivalent. Newer phones are including a short tele, and can simulate shallow DOF. I don't know how well they execute on those, and it's probably going to be years before I find out from personal experience.

I would like Pentax to deliver more versatility than my phone in a package that I'm motivated to bring with me and use. I think they're doing great for the most part, and I don't even have their newest stuff.

Maybe they can work on encouraging more third-party support for accessories (e.g. flashes) and improving their in-camera software for advanced use (e.g auto-ETTR).
12-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

1. Use Pentax for everything, but if they have too much attachment to the "Ricoh" name make that more prominent on Pentax DSLRs. One name increases brand recognition.

2. Quality is already done. Pentax gave up quantity a long time ago.

3. "Small weather sealed" bodies need similar lenses. A weather sealed version of the FA 43, DA 21, DA 40, etc. would be welcomed.

4. I don't care about metal. Good plastics can be just as durable and weigh less.

5. Five formats does not demonstrate "focus", it's dabbling A new mirrorless lens format is unlikely to succeed.

12-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRT Quote
3. Bodies should be small, weather sealed with emphasis on build quality, up to date sensors, the very best IBIS and still images,
5. Ricoh/Pentax should focus on the following continuum of formats; Medium, full frame, apsc, fixed lens GR, and a mirrorless system based on the GR.
Hello ! I share here my point of view :

1- I was almost to buy a Sony Alpha 7II (800 €) during Black Friday. I want an access to FF, but not at any price !
2- I would like a tiny size FF camera (like the sony), and only Mirrorless can offer that
3- I don't want a FF camera that I couldn't use under bad weather or wet weather (so that I didn't purchase the Sony)
4- I fear for the poor battery autonomy of Mirrorless FF
5- I 'd like to stay loyal to the brand

IF PENTAX MADE A STRONG LITTLE WR MIRRORLESS CAMERA, WITH PENTAX IQ AND COLOURS, I WOULD BE A SERIOUS CANDIDATE TO A POSSIBLE NEW PURCHASE !

Thanks
12-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scout Quote
2- I would like a tiny size FF camera (like the sony), and only Mirrorless can offer that
What do you mean by tiny? I think that Pentax could make a smaller FF SLR; what is the smallest FF SLR that exists?

Pentax could also probably make a smaller FF by not having IBIS, but that would be a bigger negative than positive.
12-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What do you mean by tiny? I think that Pentax could make a smaller FF SLR; what is the smallest FF SLR that exists?

Pentax could also probably make a smaller FF by not having IBIS, but that would be a bigger negative than positive.
I would say a small and light camera.
about Ibis I think Sony a7II has it,
I am sure Pentax (Ricoh) is capable of producing such a camera, wr, long last battery, nice colours dynamics.
I am convinced the future is for small cameras that you can hold with you all the day long (see smartphones that can almost compare apsc under daylight)

12-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Using L mount is worse idea, because that means that Lmount - K mount adaptor will be available and all people fed with Pentax can switch to other camera and use old lenses...
Why assume that people would be fed up with Pentax? People generally like Pentax's quality, features, and value, but dislike how far behind they've fallen on the newest, sexiest features. I think if Ricoh-Pentax were to produce an L-mount camera, it would probably be the mirrorless equivalent to the K1; certainly a fantastic camera, a better value than what's currently available in L-mount, and up-to-date with the latest mirrorless-centric features that people are always gushing about. I think Pentax would be insanely competitive in the mirrorless market, as long as they don't have to waste money on building a new system from scratch. They could see great success adopting an existing system, though it probably has its own share of risks, but I don't predict a lack of buyers being an issue.
12-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ton of diverse opinions on this thread (I like that). I would like to defend and elaborate on a few of my original points:
Competing on price and value from my perspective means providing uncompromising, rugged, high quality lenses. I think that means focusing on mostly smaller primes. With Pentax's excellent IBIS, the f2.8 range provides sufficient speed for bokeh that can be packaged in a reasonably compact barrel. The DA limited and FA limited primes are small enough that they would work well with compact, weather sealed magnesium APSC and full frame bodies which Ricoh/Pentax can clearly produce. With modest updates, Ricoh/Pentax could launch a lens series at an price point higher than current level but well below the Zeiss lenses that would be their target.

Same general approach for bodies. Ricoh/Pentax needs to improve autofocus but they will never have the resources to catch Sony, Canon or Nikon, so their emphasis should be credible autofocus improvement bundled with superb IBIS, in compact, weather sealed bodies. Again targeting Leica / Zeiss.
12-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #25
Pentaxian

the f2.8 range provides sufficient speed for bokeh
F/2.8 lenses are simply too slow for this bokeholic.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
12-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

below the Zeiss lenses that would be their target. Again targeting Leica / Zeiss.
I don't believe Pentax intends to "target" Leica and Zeiss lenses. No Leica or Zeiss lenses are currently made in the K mount, so why "target" lenses that are not even an option for Pentaxians to use on their Pentax cameras?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-02-2019 at 07:46 PM.
12-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
Inactive Account

IMHO, a realistic path forward for the brand is to find a balance between what sells and what they want to do. And learn from their mistakes in the past so that they won’t miss the boat again.

They know the market better, they know what can sell, will they do it or not, that is another story.
12-03-2019, 03:11 AM   #28
Pentaxian

1. Ricoh should use the Pentax brand for all of consumer photography offerings,
This seems reasonable.

The current success of the Ricoh GR III does very little to raise the profile of Pentax products.
If it were the Pentax GR III, perhaps some people would come across other Pentax cameras when their curiosity is aroused for the GR III.

On the other hand, perhaps the GR III wouldn't be such a success without the "Ricoh" branding. Plus, people interested in the GR III are probably not that interested in ILCs of the kind sold under the Pentax brand.

It doesn't help, though, to give DPReview the license to put both Pentax and Ricoh cameras under one "Ricoh" label.
It's a tiny detail in the grand scheme of things but still.
12-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the way forward is for Pentax to double down on what they are. Being the fifth or sixth or seventh MILC player and one of the smallest one to boot seems a recipe for disaster. Figure out how to a hybrid viewfinder. Pick niches in the photographic world that aren't being well explored and hit those. Make sure every release is solid and desired before you throw it out there. Re-do the DA * lenses (which are sort of desperately in need of a refit).
12-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...) Being the fifth or sixth or seventh MILC player and one of the smallest one to boot seems a recipe for disaster. (...)
Twelfth even:
  1. Canon
  2. Fujifilm
  3. Hasselblad
  4. Leica
  5. Nikon
  6. Olympus
  7. Panasonic
  8. Phase One
  9. Sigma
  10. Sony
  11. Yi