Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
And what? This year Ricoh confirmed his commitment to follow with DSLRs, even with APS-C format. Otherwise there would be no 11-18/2,8. And I am convinced that there is a future for both systems.

Yep, still waiting for that itch to draw me to a MILC -- well, actually not really waiting -- but the only itch I'm positively feeling is for upgrading my K-3 to a K-new DSLR, or getting this or that lens. Or, perhaps more realistically, for going out and doing some hoar-frost shooting.

12-02-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well certainly mirrorless technology is not yet translating into lower camera prices, so it would seem to be a case of the market segment they are targeting is willing to pay. Yes mirrorless technology does have some advantages (often over hyped IMO) but currently there are some disadvantages too (although reducing over time).

Personally the high end mirrorless camera value for money is not even close to good for me, but clearly the market disagrees with me.
12-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And there are still rangefinder cameras.
12-02-2019, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Personally the high end mirrorless camera value for money is not even close to good for me, but clearly the market disagrees with me.
The moment you bought a digital Pentax, the "market" disagreed with you...

12-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
And there are still rangefinder cameras.
...from a single manufacturer and at a high price.
12-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Less is more, y’know. More expensive!
12-03-2019, 04:13 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shipments are likely to be based more on new camera models, which have mostly been MILCs lately. If Nikon released a D7500 or D500 replacement odds are they would sell pretty well, but they have put their eggs in the Z mount basket and now have to figure out how to get their F mount luddites to switch over.

12-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Wasn’t the EOS-M series the best seller in Japan recently? That would pull the average value of MILCs down as much as Rebels do.
The fact that the 1000Yen lines are mostly declining less than the units shipped lines suggests an upward trend in the price per unit on the mirrorless side. Of course, the shipments columns suggest that cheaper SLRs are becoming more prevalent overall.
12-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Indeed, be it a change in product mix or a consequence of pricing policy, the average shipment price of mirrorless cameras is increasing over time and that of DSLRs is decreasing.
12-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #25
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed, be it a change in product mix or a consequence of pricing policy, the average shipment price of mirrorless cameras is increasing over time and that of DSLRs is decreasing.
Could the decreasing price of dslr shipments be correlated to manufacturers trying to reduce inventories at fire sale prices to further their mirrorless lines, and possibly rebound a bit this or next year?
12-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Could the decreasing price of dslr shipments be correlated to manufacturers trying to reduce inventories at fire sale prices to further their mirrorless lines
If it is, it didn't work in October. In terms of units, shipments dropped more than production. In Japan in particular, DSLR sales in 2019 have been plummeting. Any good news for manufacturers is driven by new product releases, there is a portion of the market that is looking for the newest and most-hyped, and most of the action in that space has been FF mirrorless.
12-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Could the decreasing price of dslr shipments be correlated to manufacturers trying to reduce inventories at fire sale prices to further their mirrorless lines, and possibly rebound a bit this or next year?
I doubt that since this decrease is a four-year trend.
12-04-2019, 04:28 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue is primarily to do with what SLRs and what MILCs are being released. Top end APS-C cameras like the 7D II and D500 have not been replaced, nor have cameras like the D750, 6D II, and 5D MK IV. When all you are releasing new are lower end D3xxx and Txi cameras, your price is decreasing. At the same time, the only cameras they have released for MILC have been pretty expensive.
12-04-2019, 05:06 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...from a single manufacturer and at a high price.
Technically two... but still at a very high price. The Fuji X-Pro's MSRP is around 2000€ right?
12-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ €1,899 actually but it' not a rangefinder camera, simply a camera with a non-TTL optical viewfinder.

I therefore stand by my former statement: there is only one manufacturer of rangefinder cameras left (Leica).