Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see an issue. It may not be how I would crop the images, but what do I know! They do seem like lovely images, regardless.

12-17-2019, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
Poor defenseless duck! Cut off in the prime of its life. IMHO this is a clear error by whomever cropped it. I do agree that the image would be stronger without the duck at all.
12-17-2019, 04:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Simply put - I think the framing/crops are terrible. In the first photo there's too much space above the head whilst omiting a bit of the lower body and in the second my OCD is triggered seeing that duck cut off
12-17-2019, 04:50 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've concentrated on the elements I'm not happy with but the photographer was very good at dealing with an infant, who seemed to enjoy the session a lot, and that's not easy to do.

Overall, we're reasonably happy with the results as a whole set, but these flaws niggle me, though my wife doesn't notice, and when we show them to the rest of the family I suspect they won't either. Looking back at the photos the photographer has online, these problems are common, though I didn't notice them until we had our own photos, looking back at the online ones they're very obvious now.

While I'm, of course, a photographer, I don't consider myself to be at the professional level and have never shot in this way - a fully staged photo shoot. I think I would have handled composition better and I suspect that my APS-C cameras (K-3 and X-T20) would have handled noise better than the FF 5DIII.

I don't think the photographer will get any return business from us, mainly because I'm not confident that she has recognised the problems and will try in the future to avoid them.

Many thanks everyone for your feedback.

12-18-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Overall, we're reasonably happy with the results as a whole set, but these flaws niggle me, though my wife doesn't notice, and when we show them to the rest of the family I suspect they won't either. Looking back at the photos the photographer has online, these problems are common, though I didn't notice them until we had our own photos, looking back at the online ones they're very obvious now.
So basically, you didn't notice these 'flaws' which were there on the other photos on the website when you booked the photographer, but you notice them now.

You also don't expect that anyone else in the family will notice them....

Sounds like there's no real problem.
12-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I wonder whether you gave this photographer some guidelines for the kind of outcome you were expecting. Not all photographers have the same technique and framing in mind.
I often shoot birthdays for my kids and those they are invited to. Pictures parents prefer are often "stolen" portraits, group activities, unusual attitudes etc
12-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with you on the cropping issues. The first one bothers me more than the half duck. Not that I haven’t made composition errors myself but I don’t bill myself as a professional and get paid.

Would I make a fuss about it? Probably not.

12-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not making a fuss about it, but when you pay for photos, especially special ones like these, I suppose you expect them to be perfect.

Either we won't use that photographer again or I will speak to her and ask her to change the compositions or take slightly wider shots that allow more cropping. Though now I've seen how a pro works for this sort of photo I'd be willing to give it a shot myself.