Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simplistic dSLR might be a nice idea, but so much firmware is already developed with the profuse functionality, it might be harder to downsize the writing of the firmware! But if you were going to go to the EVF, you might as well make the K1000D a mirrorless. PS I really dislike the EVF. trey composing an image with the camera in the OFF position!

12-30-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unmitigated drivel. I laughed so hard it nearly woke me up. Please be sure to report all the cutting edge news from, er, who was it again? Wouldn’t like to miss out.
12-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #18

I thought they were actually quite positive about Ricoh/Pentax lately
12-30-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

And today, they dropped this little gem: "As we all know, the 2010s were a tough decade for the industry. But amazingly, there have been very few casualties. Casio stopped making digital cameras, Samsung came and went, Pentax kind of sort of doesn't exist anymore, but that's about it."

12-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Totally listless and lacking in substance and understanding. Seriously, if that is the most ingenious they managed to come up with, they should have dropped it altogether. Acting as if there was nothing remotely innovative to be expected from anything Pentax in the future and then exhorting Pentaxians to show a little sense of humour. That's how you diss people for whom you no longer have any respect at all. Pathetic and such a waste of time.
You used some of the words I was thinking! Digital Pathos Review?

I don't know why I watch those videos. "Keep the wind lever..." Sigh.

- Craig
12-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Pentax kind of sort of doesn't exist anymore,
An allusion, I'm sure, to Pentax now simply being a brandname owned by Ricoh. It's a dig all the same.
12-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The evf proposal from Chris was about manual focus aids no? That's how I understood it. A request for Pentax to bring out a camera dedicated to manual focus and vintage glass. The fabled hybrid vf would work just as well. Or perhaps some newfangled focus screen.

12-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
An allusion, I'm sure, to Pentax now simply being a brandname owned by Ricoh. It's a dig all the same.
I finally watched the video. No love for the K-1 II (again), and a request for a K1000D with a digital sensor and an EVF. Oh-kay...
12-30-2019, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No love for the K-1 II (again),
Makes me think they've never really spent time with it. Certainly not without an unbiased mind.
12-30-2019, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
That might've been true, if they didn't put Pentax together with two companies which no longer makes cameras.
Nope, it's just the usual "PentaxIsDoomedTM".
12-30-2019, 12:04 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

I finally watched the video. No love for the K-1 II (again), and a request for a K1000D with a digital sensor and an EVF. Oh-kay...
I haven't bothered to watch the video, don't really see a point to it.
12-30-2019, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Producing content for DPR is great work if you can get it. All you have to do is generate views so your employer can claim to be the #1 website for digital photography reviews, which in turn generates more advertising revenue, which in turns makes it easier for the Amazon brand manager responsible for DPR to continue paying people to generate content designed to entice clicks instead of enlightening. It is a virtuous circle for anyone who gets a thrill from insulting other people (and bashing a camera brand is an easy way to insult the people who own that brand).

What puzzles me is why the people being insulted encourage more insults by dutifully going to DPR to check out the latest insult (which will have generated virtually no interest from owners of other brands). I am also puzzled by the esteemed, long time member of this forum who pops in once a year to let those of us who are far less knowledgeable know that DPR has posted a new insult to get us to give DPR more clicks. If it wasn't for Pentaxforum members (past and present) responding to DPR's Pentax related content like Pavlov's dogs, nothing Pentax related would ever get posted on DPR.
12-30-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

PF should put a warning up before watching the video...,do not watch while in a coffee shop and drinking hot coffee...laughing so hard that the coffee is coming out of every orifice of my body!

I have a lot of respect for Chris....but really....his gripes are about an EVF and the camera processing. Ya the EVF has so much over the pentaprism type display...really????
The K1 and ii model are priced so low compared to the other brands that DPR does not always include them in their reviews. The fact Pentax kept the same mount for how many decades...that all older lenses can be mounted. The fact the k1 body is so well made and thought out....I don’t think there is any way to please DPR. So I will read their site when I want to and I will take Chris’s advice and just keep laughing at...them. All I want when I read a photographic site is a review of the product from an electronic/mechanical analysis, how the camera handles in my hand, and what It is like to create photographic art. Maybe I am asking too much.

Happy NY to everyone.
12-30-2019, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ignorring the existence of Pentax is the YouTube 'influencer' norm - which is one of the reasons they are hard to take seriously, they are either ignorant or have an agenda - and not an agenda to support choice for photographers

Incidentally, I didn't find Chris's comments anti-Pentax - he was always positive about Pentax at the Camera Store, and I believe him when he says he has affection for the brand, but yes, he could be a little more positive about what they are doing.

I do think that it's time now for Ricoh to start looking outward, not just serving existing users and loyalists.

Last edited by ffking; 12-31-2019 at 05:33 AM.
12-30-2019, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As everyone knows, the new year's video has a tradition of being an alcohol-fueled joke. That aside, Chris (Jordan?) has a point. A minimalist dSLR would likely sell well and has been proposed multiple times on this site.*

Steve

* It should also be pointed out that he is a big fan of the Epson R- D series digital rangefinder cameras, that interestingly enough, used the wind lever on a C/V rangefinder body to cock the shutter...no burst mode.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-30-2019 at 02:34 PM.