Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As everyone knows, the new year's video has a tradition of being an alcohol-fueled joke. That aside, Chris (Jordan?) has a point. A minimalist dSLR would likely sell well and has been proposed multiple times on this site.*

Steve

* It should also be pointed out that he is a big fan of the Epson R- D series digital rangefinder cameras, that interestingly enough, used the wind lever on a C/V rangefinder body to cock the shutter...no burst mode.
The silliness level on these videos seems pretty high to me, though you can argue about the amount of actual wit and cleverness involved. I'm not inclined to take them too seriously.

12-30-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging believes that a "K-1000 Digital" would not sell well.
And the Epson RD was a flop.
12-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And the Epson RD was a flop.
Yep...only ten years before EOL.

I count myself as privileged to actually having handled one and taken a few shots. It is a nice camera in the hand and a pleasure to use. I would have bought it except that it was priced for a collector's wallet. A similar product, but based on the Zeiss ZM (wider rangefinder baseline than the Bessas) and using modern sensor tech would likely give Leica some competition. Unfortunately, Mr. K at Cosina is on record as having little interest in another digital camera project.

Steve
12-30-2019, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Is this Chris guy an influencer or an under the influencererer?

12-30-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
What puzzles me is why the people being insulted encourage more insults by dutifully going to DPR to check out the latest insult (which will have generated virtually no interest from owners of other brands). I am also puzzled by the esteemed, long time member of this forum who pops in once a year to let those of us who are far less knowledgeable know that DPR has posted a new insult to get us to give DPR more clicks. If it wasn't for Pentaxforum members (past and present) responding to DPR's Pentax related content like Pavlov's dogs, nothing Pentax related would ever get posted on DPR.
Truth is, it's human nature. The best thing to do I've found as a user of DPR, is just don't respond at all. Don't defend Pentax, don't respond to the phone vs ILC threads, and in general don't respond to the trolls. Not much point in any of those debates with random strangers. If we all did that, nobody would post any of the inflammatory posts in the first place. In fact, if someone starts a troll thread, I just block them on DPR or on other forums. Trolls just want to start a flame war. Personally, I just like taking pictures.
12-30-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Since I don't go to DPR anymore it was nice of Falconeye to post this link.
12-30-2019, 05:37 PM - 5 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just a clarification ... I posted the link because I thought my fellow Pentaxians may find it entertaining. I am a bit confused about all the negativity. The opinions expressed (by Chris) weren’t meant to be taken too seriously.

12-30-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Just a clarification ... I posted the link because I thought my fellow Pentaxians may find it entertaining. I am a bit confused about all the negativity.
Think for many, DPR's track record towards Pentax makes it's hard to take them without bias too.
12-30-2019, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Just a clarification ... I posted the link because I thought my fellow Pentaxians may find it entertaining. I am a bit confused about all the negativity. The opinions expressed (by Chris) weren’t meant to be taken too seriously.
This thread has gotten me thinking a bit. I suspect that part of DPR's past comments on Pentax gear--especially their savaging of the K-1 II--is due to their perception of how slowly Pentax is moving relative to the competition. DPR's contributors, like many people in the industry, like to see and write about new and exciting stuff on a regular basis; otherwise, there's no reason for people to visit their web site. As far as they're concerned, Pentax is a historically innovative camera company that is currently coasting on past glories, if not slowing to a complete stop. A rejuvenated and prosperous Pentax would not only be worth covering, but would also force the competition to be more innovative in turn, making for a more dynamic industry that ultimately drives more clicks on DPR. They probably see their criticisms--sometimes jocular, sometimes snarky, sometimes harsher--as necessary goads to get Pentax to resume their winning ways ("Your animal AF does dogs and cats? Please! Our K-new works with budgies, iguanas, and goldfish!").

On reflection, I'm not sure we're dealing with active hostility so much as frustration and disappointment (The K-1 II might not be a giant step backward--I mostly agree with the PF review that classifies it as a real upgrade--but it doesn't strike me as a massive improvement over the K-1). Can any of us not say we feel the same way regarding Ricoh's stewardship of the Pentax brand?
12-30-2019, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Falk - good to hear from you. Wish you’d visit more often - I enjoy your insights.
12-30-2019, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
This thread has gotten me thinking a bit. I suspect that part of DPR's past comments on Pentax gear--especially their savaging of the K-1 II--is due to their perception of how slowly Pentax is moving relative to the competition. DPR's contributors, like many people in the industry, like to see and write about new and exciting stuff on a regular basis; otherwise, there's no reason for people to visit their web site. As far as they're concerned, Pentax is a historically innovative camera company that is currently coasting on past glories, if not slowing to a complete stop. A rejuvenated and prosperous Pentax would not only be worth covering, but would also force the competition to be more innovative in turn, making for a more dynamic industry that ultimately drives more clicks on DPR. They probably see their criticisms--sometimes jocular, sometimes snarky, sometimes harsher--as necessary goads to get Pentax to resume their winning ways ("Your animal AF does dogs and cats? Please! Our K-new works with budgies, iguanas, and goldfish!").

On reflection, I'm not sure we're dealing with active hostility so much as frustration and disappointment (The K-1 II might not be a giant step backward--I mostly agree with the PF review that classifies it as a real upgrade--but it doesn't strike me as a massive improvement over the K-1). Can any of us not say we feel the same way regarding Ricoh's stewardship of the Pentax brand?
The reality is Ricoh are investing in digital imaging products that people are buying more of, not less of. Theta. GR. WG, B2B cameras for construction and secure imaging. They’re keeping the ILC plants open until they don’t. That’s what Ricoh does with everything. (Next recession . . . . . )

I wish they get on with it for K-New. By the time they release it - even if it has AI-Brain-link AF and a transparent OLED/Optical Viewfinder - DPR will spend half the review dissing the release horizon, and we don’t have Imaging Resource to counter them any more.

And nobody will buy a K1000D. That ship sailed ten years ago.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.
12-31-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Truth is, it's human nature. The best thing to do I've found as a user of DPR, is just don't respond at all. Don't defend Pentax, don't respond to the phone vs ILC threads, and in general don't respond to the trolls. Not much point in any of those debates with random strangers. If we all did that, nobody would post any of the inflammatory posts in the first place. In fact, if someone starts a troll thread, I just block them on DPR or on other forums. Trolls just want to start a flame war. Personally, I just like taking pictures.
I don't think it works, except for your own peace of mind.

It depends on those folks' agenda; if it's merely to enter an argument, ignoring works. But if they want to feel "better" by dissing another, a seemingly vulnerable brand? If they want to "punish" Pentax because something they wanted to happen didn't? (and I've heard the incredibly stupid theory that only by driving customers away will Pentax move forward! Stupidity is a powerful motivator). Perhaps they want to push their own bogus theories, for whatever reason.
Ignoring them will result in the DPR forum being filled with only garbage.
12-31-2019, 03:26 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Yep...only ten years before EOL.

I count myself as privileged to actually having handled one and taken a few shots. It is a nice camera in the hand and a pleasure to use. I would have bought it except that it was priced for a collector's wallet. A similar product, but based on the Zeiss ZM (wider rangefinder baseline than the Bessas) and using modern sensor tech would likely give Leica some competition. Unfortunately, Mr. K at Cosina is on record as having little interest in another digital camera project.

Steve
Did it sell?
12-31-2019, 05:09 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As everyone knows, the new year's video has a tradition of being an alcohol-fueled joke. That aside, Chris (Jordan?) has a point. A minimalist dSLR would likely sell well and has been proposed multiple times on this site.*

Steve

* It should also be pointed out that he is a big fan of the Epson R- D series digital rangefinder cameras, that interestingly enough, used the wind lever on a C/V rangefinder body to cock the shutter...no burst mode.
There are many ways to joke.
I like elegant jokes, and definitely don't like those that have gotten so stale, that the joke becomes the one who makes them
12-31-2019, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
like many people in the industry, like to see and write about new and exciting stuff on a regular basis; otherwise, there's no reason for people to
... buy.

It's all money driven, business owners like quickly obsolete camera models because for them it means $$$. My local shop discontinued Pentax because of lens mount compatibility with old lenses, the shop owner preferred to use his self space for camera models that require to buy new lenses because every time the shop sells a new camera with new lens mount comes with sales of one or more lenses. New lens mount (e.g mirrorless) means two to five times more revenues per customer; for full frame ILC systems, selling new camera AND the new lenses compensate for diminishing number of customers. Sony is often preferred by business owners because of the short product life cycles of Sony camera models, good for business...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.