Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think it works, except for your own peace of mind.

It depends on those folks' agenda; if it's merely to enter an argument, ignoring works. But if they want to feel "better" by dissing another, a seemingly vulnerable brand? If they want to "punish" Pentax because something they wanted to happen didn't? (and I've heard the incredibly stupid theory that only by driving customers away will Pentax move forward! Stupidity is a powerful motivator). Perhaps they want to push their own bogus theories, for whatever reason.
Ignoring them will result in the DPR forum being filled with only garbage.
I doubt that. If someone posts something on a forum and it gets zero responses, they will just go away.

They can want to punish Pentax all they like, but the future of Pentax and other camera companies just depends on people buying their stuff. In turn, people buy stuff based on how it works for them. Pentax doesn't make a decision to create a new camera because of forum trolls. Now, it might be possible that a troll could negatively affect the Pentax brand image to potential buyers, but typically people consult reviews much more than a couple sentences posted on an already noisy forum like DPR, so a much better response to a troll instead is to write a positive review of your Pentax equipment either on DPR, Amazon, or elsewhere.

Here, I'm just talking about straight up trolls. If someone is engaging in a civilized debate on the merits of Pentax vs other brands, then it could be a good idea to give your two cents as you see fit. However, I only advocate doing that if it's not something that will make you irate or overly bothered.

12-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I doubt that. If someone posts something on a forum and it gets zero responses, they will just go away.

They can want to punish Pentax all they like, but the future of Pentax and other camera companies just depends on people buying their stuff. In turn, people buy stuff based on how it works for them. Pentax doesn't make a decision to create a new camera because of forum trolls. Now, it might be possible that a troll could negatively affect the Pentax brand image to potential buyers, but typically people consult reviews much more than a couple sentences posted on an already noisy forum like DPR, so a much better response to a troll instead is to write a positive review of your Pentax equipment either on DPR, Amazon, or elsewhere.

Here, I'm just talking about straight up trolls. If someone is engaging in a civilized debate on the merits of Pentax vs other brands, then it could be a good idea to give your two cents as you see fit. However, I only advocate doing that if it's not something that will make you irate or overly bothered.
Unless their purpose is to get reads, not responses.

There's dpthoughts, whose only purpose is to bash Pentax in the comments section of every Pentax-related article.
There's Midwhatever, whose only purpose on the Pentax section was to repeatedly claim that SR slows down autofocus and Canon's solution is oh so much better.
There's this guy spreading libel about me through personal messages and even forum messages, because that's allowed by someone who shouldn't be a moderator.
Do you think they will stop?

The "must punish Pentax by driving away customers" theory, I've read that on the other forum. The driving away being done through gross exaggeration and even untruthful statements. They deluded themselves into thinking they do good for all of us... do you think they would stop?

Then, there's the occasional misguided guy whose only fault is to listen to some... ahem, technically challenged guy with technical theories. For example, the "capacitor" theory. Would it disappear?
12-31-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hey Falk - good to hear from you. Wish you’d visit more often - I enjoy your insights.
Absolutely !
12-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

And nobody will buy a K1000D. That ship sailed ten years ago.
It is unfortunate but I agree. I'd still buy one though
Not a K1000D. Let's say MX-D

12-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It is unfortunate but I agree. I'd still buy one though
Not a K1000D. Let's say MX-D
I’ll see your MX-D and raise you an LX-D.
12-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am afraid I slept through the K1000 era with my lovely MX beside me. Perhaps that is why I have never understood the pleas for a K1000D.
12-31-2019, 06:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Enough already!
Can someone just invite Chris to join the thread! Offer him a free Oentax camera, k1 ii maybe?

01-01-2020, 03:21 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The digital K1000 idea floats out there periodically, but my impression was that it was being made by people who didn't care about any of the modern features like auto focus and video and thought that if they left them off, the camera would be priced around 500 dollars. It didn't really make any sense to me because it would probably sell fewer copies because of the features it was lacking and furthermore, many of the features that are supposed to be cost-savings are just software that Pentax has already developed and are relatively inexpensive to implement.
01-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Just a clarification ... I posted the link because I thought my fellow Pentaxians may find it entertaining. I am a bit confused about all the negativity. The opinions expressed (by Chris) weren’t meant to be taken too seriously.
The problem is that the theory of the K1000D lacks empirical evidence and is not backed up by any plausibility equations
01-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there has already been, for some time, a digital equivalent of the K1000. I mean the Sony A6000. It is very old by Sony standards having been introduced in 2014, I believe. It has very few of the more recent "improvements" and yet each year it is or is near #1 in the Amazon list of best selling cameras. Most forum members probably would not like it but it is a capable if striped down digital camera. It is, I think, the closest we could get to a digital K1000.
01-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The problem is that the theory of the K1000D lacks empirical evidence and is not backed up by any plausibility equations
The problem I have with the theory is the way it's presented - something on the line of "Pentax doesn't listen anyway". A bit condescending... and then it's presented as a panacea when it's just garbage.

---------- Post added 01-01-20 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think there has already been, for some time, a digital equivalent of the K1000. I mean the Sony A6000.
The A6000 is as close to the K1000 as a chimpanzee is to Betelgeuse.
01-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem I have with the theory is the way it's presented - something on the line of "Pentax doesn't listen anyway". A bit condescending... and then it's presented as a panacea when it's just garbage.

---------- Post added 01-01-20 at 05:49 PM ----------

The A6000 is as close to the K1000 as a chimpanzee is to Betelgeuse.
And so would be any Pentax digital K1000. Different worlds. Nothing to see anymore in a K1000 unless you want to use film. A6000 is cheap, easy to use and very popular. Makes nice photos too.
01-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Thing is that quite a few cameraowners own several cameras. Its probably not worth it but I would expect quite a few forum members would buy a k1000d as a fifth (or whatever) body if it was reasonably priced and had excellent manual focusing aides.

I wouldn't buy it though.
01-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
And so would be any Pentax digital K1000. Different worlds. Nothing to see anymore in a K1000 unless you want to use film. A6000 is cheap, easy to use and very popular. Makes nice photos too.
I think they can get quite close to the K1000, but the product would be too expensive, too crippled and so it would flop.
Of course, it depends on what we understand by a "K1000 digital" - but IMO a modern mirrorless isn't such a thing.
01-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I think they can get quite close to the K1000, but the product would be too expensive, too crippled and so it would flop.
Of course, it depends on what we understand by a "K1000 digital" - but IMO a modern mirrorless isn't such a thing.
I wonder if, when people think of a digital K1000, they're thinking of Pentax marketing the cheapest FF DSLR around? The only way you could pull that off would be to minimize development costs by keeping it simple and selling it in volume, which I don't see happening during these days of falling camera sales across the board. Remember that the K1000 was manufactured for over 20 years, so its non-recurring costs were paid for early in its extended production run.