Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there has been several threads about flickr.com

and their efforts to make it a paying business

the nerve of those guys to try that

I got an email: Opportunity to support Flickr.com with a discount - PentaxForums.com

flickr.com is a business

it costs money if you post a certain amount there

hmm, sounds familiar to me

01-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never knew there was a 2 yr pricing structure. When I got a Pro account it was $39.95 and its gone up to $49.95 and its still quite a bargain.
01-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The company said that less than 1% of users pay and that means that each paying user must cover the costs of more than 100 people who don't pay.

Unless Flickr can further reduce the costs of free-accounts (yuck), charge more (yuck), or find other revenues such as more ads (yuck), they won't be around for long.
01-04-2020, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not using Flickr, since many years I have a Smugmug account which is even more expensive. But I am very happy with the stability and performance of that platform and also with the very fast and efficient support (needed it only twice, but a pleasant experience).
I would never expect to receive any reasonable value for free, at least not for an extended period of time.
Compared to the costs of our photography hobby something like 1 $ per week seems fairly irrelevant to me.

01-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

For you pro Flickr users, here's what went on with the free one.
Limited to 1000 photos. Ok cool. Constant request to upgrade. Ads every 3 pictures looking at your own feed. Impossible to cull pictures when you can't look at them clicking back and forth. Imagine an eye doctor going is this better, look at this ad. Or is this better than what you saw before the ad.
01-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not news swanlefitte. It is why I went pro level long ago.Tthey need someway to pay for the service. Not difficult to understand. Also for quite awhile they had a free 1tb mode. Nothing is free.
01-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

We are talking cloud storage here. No matter who you pick they will screw you down the line. Flickr seems to be more transparent than most.

I use Lightroom now: It is a matter of time before Adobe will push me (and you!) to the cloud. I use Windows: A recent update resulted in Windows uploading my images AND removing them from their original position. Of course, I had clicked YES at some point - I thought it was just linking up to my cloud account. I also use Linux and Darktable will likely be my favoured app from now.

I have my own domain. It is cheaper and I am in control. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more work (and dare I say this, comtetences) - in fact I am totally reshufling my two sites now.

01-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some one reputedly said

" there ain't no such thing as a free lunch "

we took a pizza tour in Chicago years ago

we learned the first pizza in Chicago was served in the stockyards area of Chicago by the local taverns

free

heavily salted

small rectangles

of course, heavily salted pizza led to more beer being purchased

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-04-2020 at 07:51 AM.
01-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #24

Yes it is expensive, people can complain all they want, but how is the site supposed to survive if there is no money coming in?
I've had a pro account for several years now, though I think it is expensive, what is the alternative?

Apart from being a good platform to share (and link) photos, it is also a nice backup/cloud storage for my exported JPEGs
I like that I can upload in the highest resolution, without necessarily giving other people access to the highest resolution.
The ability to set certain photos/albums to private or only visible with the right link is also very useful.
I'm actually considering to start a yearly export of all of my RAWs to full resolution JPEG and saving them to (private) flickr as an additional backup.

I also have a 2TB cloud storage somewhere else, technically I could use that instead of flickr, but it wouldn't be a photo platform and those JPEGs would take up the limited 2TB space.
Flickr has no storage limit, that is quite a lot.
01-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is not news swanlefitte.
The ads every 3 pictures was new to me. I think it just started, at least hadn't noticed until now.
The rest is old news but if you went pro you might not have known what you are paying to Not get, you know you pay to get.
01-04-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The company said that less than 1% of users pay and that means that each paying user must cover the costs of more than 100 people who don't pay.
Several years ago I was one of the "free loaders" on Flickr when Yahoo owned it but when the Smug Mug folks bought it I went to a Pro account and have been very satisfied. Its one of the best photo related resources in the world and it cost less for a year than the average automobile cost to fill the fuel tank once.

It amazes me that some people will gripe about paying for Pro storage and then spend a small fortune on five or six camera bags that mostly are redundant, but don't you dare cut off the free photo storage entitlement.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Unless Flickr can further reduce the costs of free-accounts (yuck), charge more (yuck), or find other revenues such as more ads (yuck), they won't be around for long.
I really don't see how they can reduce the cost of free accounts since they are paying for total capacity on the Amazon servers and not individual account storage. Maybe they can offer a reduced rate for less storage capacity say $14.95 per year up to a certain storage size then a couple more blocks of capacity for $20 more then to the unlimited accounts for say $49.95.
01-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
For you pro Flickr users, here's what went on with the free one.
Limited to 1000 photos. Ok cool. Constant request to upgrade. Ads every 3 pictures looking at your own feed. Impossible to cull pictures when you can't look at them clicking back and forth. Imagine an eye doctor going is this better, look at this ad. Or is this better than what you saw before the ad.
Pretty simple solution, upgrade to a Pro account!!
01-04-2020, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Jan 3rd, 2018 2 Years Flickr Pro $44.95
Jan 4th, 2020 2 Years Flickr Pro $99.98
A bazzillion $$$$ worth of gear and $49.99/year to sort your images for personal and world wide viewing. Whats your point??
01-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Some how I am billed the dollar price instead of the Euro. Probably because my account used to be pro before they set everything to unlimited.

That might be correct. Once you cancel and then try to prolong, you have to enter your card details and address once again. If you select US, you are charged (lower) price in USD. The price difference (USD to EUR) is probably caused by our European VAT.
01-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder how many people are still paying for using Flickr.
More than you think, its the best photo sharing deal on the planet.