Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
What city are you in that is -34 c/f? Just curious where that is.
We're based in Calgary, Alberta. This was recorded on the 13th, when we were right in the midst of a horrible cold snap.

---------- Post added 01-19-20 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that The Camera Store is based in Calgary and that's who produces the videos mentioned here.
We're no longer with The Camera Store, we now produce videos for DPReview, but we're still based in Calgary. The rest of the DPReview team is based in Seattle.

01-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have just realized that I have owned/used three of the cameras on the list.
01-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Maybe - just maybe - they have a sneaking suspicion about what is on the way and they have to position themselves accordingly.
That was my first thought, too.
01-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
We're based in Calgary, Alberta. This was recorded on the 13th, when we were right in the midst of a horrible cold snap.

We're no longer with The Camera Store, we now produce videos for DPReview, but we're still based in Calgary. The rest of the DPReview team is based in Seattle.
Glad to see you here. It was a nice piece you did for DPR, and I thought it was fair. I basically agreed with you on most points, including what seemed (from the peanut gallery) the most controversial one, favoring the K1000 over the Spotmatic---but I thought your reasoning was sound and well explained. I especially liked the appreciation you had for the 645Z's importance. So, kudos to you---helps salve some wounds.

01-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

This video got me thinking... how do people live in such cold places. The weather is stranger then Pentax's marketing.
01-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This video got me thinking... how do people live in such cold places. The weather is stranger then Pentax's marketing.
It's all relative.
01-19-2020, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to Rondec and hello to Chris and Jordan from Calgary. I've heard people say that Alberta is "like the Texas of Canada," but not sure if that is good or bad?

-34 is below my tolerance, pretty sure. The US midwest was below my cold tolerance, hence, Texas. And it is actually too cold in Texas too often, which explains Yucatan, where acclimated folks can feel cold while tourists are perspiring heavily and ordering beers by the bucket!

I enjoyed the video, to get back to the topic. You sure do love Pentax! I even think I heard it mentioned. Seriously, it was an interesting perspective. There may be a few areas where people could argue that Pentax has been innovative, often at the best price point on the market (or a pretty good one). What I like about their/our cameras is that they are just made for photography. The others seem to have menus and controls not thought through at times. Or the builds feel odd.

Maybe one summer, I'll vacation in Alberta somewhere and have a look around. Cheers!

01-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #53
Forum Member

You already have the expensive fantastic Bushido glass single focal length trio, just wait for the New Flagship coming out this year. Most likely it will address the focus issues. If not, we can expect Pentax (and likely Oly) to die from marketitus disease. Proven Quality achieved over T I M E, and great glass is why I have stuck with Pentax. The New 2020 APS-C Flagship must have accurate and fast AF, with working tracking and follow focus, and at least code carrying 10 or 12 bit 4K video, or I will go to the soon to be released Fujifilm X-T4 line, and only retain a core of my now abundant Pentax gear. This will mean Pentax-Richo will lose a forty year published professional advocate of their gear. I'll be a prophet here. If they lose me for these reasons, or for not coming out with a short flange mirrorless in time, they will wax cold on any related features market share future.

Read more at: K3 surprised me today - PentaxForums.com
01-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #54
Pentaxian

We're based in Calgary, Alberta.
Canada, we love, love it. They have snow, they have cold. They have a maple leaf that is this big flappy leaf as a symbol. I think Canada looks like the planet Hoth from star wars myself. I mean the landscape alone looks like no life has ever been there. They decided to go with basically the USA model. It is simple and clunky but works surprisingly well. Nice weather, well it's better than a tsunami. They do better now with central heating and Jordon likes his beard with crystals in it, personally the cold sucks but that's my opinion. Canada has a pretty good infrastructure to get by that abysmal weather. They even made it easier to enjoy the horrifying conditions they used to find good. Most, if not all of those good things came from other countries but they did a good job of implementation.

Edit paraphrasing the 6x7 praise from the video.

Go Canada I love you.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 01-20-2020 at 05:51 PM.
01-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #55

Maybe a user name change would be appropriate?
01-21-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TCS = Totally Canadian Superstar ?
02-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if this is still a 'continuation' of DP Pentax week, but there's just a new YouTube up: Shoot vintage Pentax 110 lenses on M4/3
Nothing really new, tried it long time ago with an adapter on my old Pana GH1, but sort of fun to watch

Cheers, Gerard
02-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #58
Pentaxian

It was -27ºC here last night, because we heat mainly with wood and no one got up last night to feed the fire, it was 12ºC in the house when we got up. There's a nice warm roaring fire right now and we're up to 17ºC. We actually find heat harder to deal with than cold. I guess that's why we're Canadian.

When I take the dogs for thier walk, in 15 minutes I'll be walking in along sleeve T-shirt with my coat draped over my camera bag.

As for the TCS guys, they are up there with the best. DPR, not so much in general, but who knows, I never go there. Imagine Resources is a much better site and I prefer the way their information is laid out, as in no cheap shots or negative comments not justified by the tests they perform. I ordered a non-Pentax camera yesterday, and they were my final authority. The thing being, if they treat the camera I know fairly, I trust them to be fair with others. Something DPR hasn't clued into when it comes to Pentax customers.

Last edited by normhead; 02-29-2020 at 07:15 AM.
02-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, gotta ditch this username.

We pitch the episodes to the DPReview team, they don't tell us what to make videos about. If they like the concept, we produce the episode, and then send it to the the team to check for inaccuracies or suggestions to improve the flow. Then it gets published.

There is no Amazon executive telling us what to talk about, but obviously we prioritize subjects that we think will help grow the audience.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit.
Thanks for continuing to chime in, Jordan. Not everyone here thinks your evil