Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Let's avoid any political commentary on this, per forum rules
You are right, sorry about that, please remove my comment as you see necessary.

01-30-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxic Quote
"this flu season (since Oct. 2019) in the US alone has seen an estimated 8000-20,000 deaths according to the CDC."

Every year in the US this time of year all strains of influenza Excluding the Super Strains e.g. Ebola & Corona
Ebola virus is a type of influenza?? We learn something new every day - not. Ebola is a haemorrhagic fever spread by direct contact with bodily fluids like blood, semen etc and kills most of its victims, often from internal bleeding.

Please don’t confuse Ebola with coronavirus, flu etc; they’re not in the same league.
01-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry too much about camera gear. It seems less important than other implications.

To put the Coronavirus in perspective, its mortality rate of 2 percent is pretty high, but certainly not compared to Ebola or Sars. What isn't clear is how transmissible the virus is. Clearly it is transmitted from human to human, but viruses like measles and flu are really effective at getting from one person to another, while many other viruses are more limited.

I wouldn't be expecting a vaccine in time to do much, though. It takes quite a bit of time to develop a vaccine and to grow enough of it to make a dint in the transmission of any disease.
01-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ebola virus is a type of influenza?? We learn something new every day - not. Ebola is a haemorrhagic fever spread by direct contact with bodily fluids like blood, semen etc and kills most of its victims, often from internal bleeding.

Please don’t confuse Ebola with coronavirus, flu etc; they’re not in the same league.
Don't care what its generic flavour is ! The guy with the Microphone sure makes it sound like the same league . Same hazmat suits same movement restrictions ! Same guys yelling run for your life !

01-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
You are right, sorry about that, please remove my comment as you see necessary.
You can remove it yourself as an option while editing.

Steve
01-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Regarding coronavirus (a class of viruses, not a particular species), the Wikipedia is helpful.

Coronavirus - Wikipedia

In regards to impact on the photography industry, I think @monochrome nailed it above. The primary impacts will be supply chains along with some impact on finished goods. Whether such may influence short term purchase decisions depends, I suspect on how urgent the need and the item being considered.

Steve
01-30-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
On 12/19 CDC report
In US 136 flue related child mortality case
1235 adult mortality case
With complication flue
Mostly in 57% not vaccinated
We gotta do more to keep people out of their chimneys!

Steve

(...sorry, could not resist...)

01-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't care what its generic flavour is
Ignorant bleating is a pretty generic sound these days.

"this flu season (since Oct. 2019) in the US alone has seen an estimated 8000-20,000 deaths according to the CDC."

Every year in the US this time of year all strains of influenza Excluding the Super Strains e.g. Ebola & Corona
Influenza and Ebola share the same replication mechanism Via RNA, apart from that they are very different.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
+1 this kind of lazy journalism and publication just irritates the hell out of me.

---------- Post added 2020-01-31 at 01:17 PM ----------

The guy with the Microphone sure makes it sound like the same league
For the love of god, they aren't! comparing Ebola to Influenza is like comparing a spiked baseball bat to a piece of rope tied in a noose - not a lot of functional overlap in lethality. HIV is also an RNA virus but it doesn't share the same transmission vectors as Ebola* or influenza.

* HIV is also a retrovirus which is a distinctly different class of virus. IF HIV had the same transmission vectors as Ebola or Influenza that would be very, very bad news.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-30-2020 at 07:49 PM.
01-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Ignorant bleating is a pretty generic sound these days.
You bet ! Too bad we can't unplug the wise guys with the Google Search Degrees ,microphones & Iphone cameras. My photo Accessories trade with "Best regards Cathy" in ShenZhen China is being impeded by Travel Bans ,Hazmat Suits and Google Search PHD's . All we can do is wait I'm afraid.
01-31-2020, 12:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad we can't unplug the wise guys with the Google Search Degrees ,microphones & Iphone cameras. My photo Accessories trade with "Best regards Cathy" in ShenZhen China is being impeded by Travel Bans ,Hazmat Suits and Google Search PHD's .
How terribly inconvenient for you, I do sympathise.
01-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You bet ! Too bad we can't unplug the wise guys with the Google Search Degrees ,microphones & Iphone cameras. My photo Accessories trade with "Best regards Cathy" in ShenZhen China is being impeded by Travel Bans ,Hazmat Suits and Google Search PHD's . All we can do is wait I'm afraid.
Please stop!
02-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

A first statement, this one from Hiroki Totoki, Chief Financial Officer, Sony (they published their FY2019/Q3 consolidated financial results today):
QuoteQuote:
Depending on the future progress of the virus, we cannot deny that our production and sales supply chain for the image sensor and electronics business could be affected enormously.

At this point we cannot properly assess how we will be able to supply products and such, as we have not been able to contact people in the factories because operations have stopped.
At present, Sony assume the virus may have the biggest effect on their smartphone image sensor and module parts production, as well as production of their PlayStation 4, depending on when their plants are back in operation.

Source: Sony hikes profit outlook but fears coronavirus impact - Nikkei Asian Review
02-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #28
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any chance of changes/reductions of cp+ vendors due to travel restrictions in sight?
02-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I probably less worry about supply and production Vs how strong this pandemic will spreed and effective all We have 2 now flue and corona so double attack immune system
They very late close border and possibly virus not will weak may more robust. So for all of your be safe protect yourself and family.
this may be appropriate joke or not ,but one of my patient said small glass Tequila before and after help prevent virus
02-05-2020, 01:33 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
I probably less worry about supply and production Vs how strong this pandemic will spreed and effective all We have 2 now flue and corona so double attack immune system
this may be appropriate joke or not ,but one of my patient said small glass Tequila before and after help prevent virus
For sure our thoughts and concerns should go to those who have perished and not how this may affect the economy or camera production.

The tequila before and after what? Going to China? And is that with or without the worm?