Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2020, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

CIPA shipment details for last year - down it goes

It really seems the makers have not yet seen rock bottom.

The really sharp drop in DSLM sales with a continued erosion of DSLM prices probably will not make them happy.

But then: January data usually is even worse than December. So more bad news for the sellers to come. On the good (buyer) side this makes further price drops for last years toys even more probable.

Attached Images

02-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks absolutely dismal.
02-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is DSLM is that the mirrorless systems?
02-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is DSLM is that the mirrorless systems?
yes DSLM is mirrorless toys.

02-04-2020, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think lots of people are waiting on rumored products right now, I know I am.

Pentax has the APS-C flagship rumored, Canon has a few mirrorless bodies rumored to be released this year, I’m waiting on the RS one. Nikon will have a D6 out Fuji the xt 4. I think if these bodies come out the manufacturers will have a better year in 2020 than in 2019.

Nobody wants to spend money on something that is about to be improved on and some people are waiting on the new releases to drop the price on older bodies.
02-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote

Pentax has the APS-C flagship rumored, Canon has a few mirrorless bodies rumored to be released this year, I’m waiting on the RS one. Nikon will have a D6 out Fuji the xt 4. I think if these bodies come out the manufacturers will have a better year in 2020 than in 2019.

Nobody wants to spend money on something that is about to be improved on and some people are waiting on the new releases to drop the price on older bodies.
... and some are just waiting for new wide angle prime lenses and TCs.
02-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad I'm OK with what I have.

02-05-2020, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do not think that is a valid excuse for more and more photographers turning away from current DSLM/DSLR products.

There always have been people waiting for the next big thing and then the next and the one after that. That peaked in 2011.

Actually - as there hasn't been any meaningful major innovation in any cameras for many years now - it seems more likely that it is less and less people who give a monkey's about the next product.

Their current cameras are more than capable enough and their smartphones with cameras already are there as well.
02-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shock news! - mirrorless sales are falling faster than DSLR sales!!

02-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Tess' K-5 is still everything she wants. I'm sure there are a lot of folks in her position.
02-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I do not think that is a valid excuse for more and more photographers turning away from current DSLM/DSLR products.

There always have been people waiting for the next big thing and then the next and the one after that. That peaked in 2011.

Actually - as there hasn't been any meaningful major innovation in any cameras for many years now - it seems more likely that it is less and less people who give a monkey's about the next product.

Their current cameras are more than capable enough and their smartphones with cameras already are there as well.
I think Canon and Nikon entering the mirror less world with all new mounts is a pretty big innovation, well maybe not innovation but a huge change. They have such a large user base I think people are waiting to see what they are coming out with before making any purchases that they don't need right away.

I know I'm not adding anymore EF lenses because I know the RF is the future. The adapter works just fine but I would rather invest into the future mount with my next big purchase.
02-06-2020, 03:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Canon and Nikon entering the mirror less world with all new mounts is a pretty big innovation, well maybe not innovation but a huge change. They have such a large user base I think people are waiting to see what they are coming out with before making any purchases that they don't need right away.

I know I'm not adding anymore EF lenses because I know the RF is the future. The adapter works just fine but I would rather invest into the future mount with my next big purchase.
RF may be the future and Canon may be in the process of ditching the EOS mount, but the cost of the RF lenses seems a lot higher than EOS lenses. Maybe that's the point, but you can get a 24-70 f2.8 USM II on B and H for 1600 (and used for 1200) and the RF 24-70 f2.8 is 2300 (oddly the same price as the 28-70 f2). Anyway, just looking at the price difference, even if I went with a new MILC mount, I would continue to use my old lenses with an adapter until the prices came down quite a bit.
02-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Given the downturn in the camera market happening when these cameras were released, it's interesting to speculate if these cameras will ever meet their target sales specs.
02-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The RF lenses are more expensive than the EF mount but that was expected. I will definitely not be replacing my EF 600/4 with a RF mount whenever it comes out, the adapter will work just fine. I’ve been looking at the EF 400/2.8 and 200-400/4 with built in tc but would rather wait for newer RF mount versions. I know the adapter works seamlessly but if I’m dumping another $10k on a lens I would rather it be in the RF mount.

Canon did say the R and RP sales numbers weren’t what they were hoping but they also admitted they are behind in features. They do have a few rumored for this year that sound much better but we all know rumors are pretty much worthless.

Nikon sales numbers probably were lower than they wanted also but I haven’t followed their news as much.

I still think 2020 could be a better year for the camera body sales, not anything close to the peak years but I think sales will be up.
02-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The RF lenses are more expensive than the EF mount but that was expected. I will definitely not be replacing my EF 600/4 with a RF mount whenever it comes out, the adapter will work just fine. I’ve been looking at the EF 400/2.8 and 200-400/4 with built in tc but would rather wait for newer RF mount versions. I know the adapter works seamlessly but if I’m dumping another $10k on a lens I would rather it be in the RF mount.

Canon did say the R and RP sales numbers weren’t what they were hoping but they also admitted they are behind in features. They do have a few rumored for this year that sound much better but we all know rumors are pretty much worthless.

Nikon sales numbers probably were lower than they wanted also but I haven’t followed their news as much.

I still think 2020 could be a better year for the camera body sales, not anything close to the peak years but I think sales will be up.
The interesting thing would be to compare like to like. So, for instance, to compare first six months of Z6 sales to first six months of the soon to be release D780. My guess is they'd actually be pretty similar, although the price on the Z6 has fallen a bunch, probably indicating dismal sales.