Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ah yeah. It's getting serious.

---------- Post added 14-02-20 at 08:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm thinking we'll just do the interview at the Pentax HQ. May end up being better than from the show floor, actually.
Skype is getting more and more popular in business, although I've wondered how secure it is if used for exchanging business confidential information.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-14-2020 at 12:50 AM.
02-14-2020, 12:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The Photokina people must be rubbing their hands. Their first annual show since stopping the bi-annual rhythm and cancelling the 2019 show because too close to the 2018 one, will unexpectedly be the first big show of the year. However, I don't think/hope any off the announcements foreseen to coincide with CP+ will shift to the Photokina timeframe...

Shame for CP+ though.

Wim
02-14-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Skype is getting more and more popular in business, although I've wondered how secure it is if used for exchanging business confidential information.
Completely unrelated, but there's an enterprise version of Skype (now called Teams, used to be called Skype for Business) which includes such security features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2020, 02:04 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Completely unrelated, but there's an enterprise version of Skype (now called Teams, used to be called Skype for Business)
I used to work with a company using Window enterprise for business and Microsoft already brought Skype back then but they also had their own version of VoIP (forget the name). It was built to works just like skype but it uglier + buggier (all in all suckier!). They seem to abandon it and go back to skype. Now they come back with Teams? is it the same Teams on the news week ago? They seem to forget to renew the SSL certificate.

Back to Japan and the Corona virus, the Tokyo summer Olympics 2020 will be started from 24 July. I hope they already find a cure by then. Who remember how long it took to find a cure for something similar like SARS?

Last edited by tokyoscape; 02-14-2020 at 02:24 AM.
02-14-2020, 02:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I used to work with a company using Window enterprise for business and Windows already brought Skype back then but they also had their own version of VoIP (forget the name). It was built to works just like skype but it uglier + buggier (all in all suckier!). They seem to abandon it and go back to skype. Now they come back with Teams? is it the same Teams on the news week ago? They seem to forget to renew the SSL certificate.

Back to Japan and the Corona virus, the Tokyo summer Olympics 2020 will be started from 24 July. I hope they already find a cure by then. Who remember how long it took to find a cure for something similar like SARS?
A vaccine is likely at least a year away, trials not included. This thing has the potential of infecting 2/3 of the world's population, according to the New York Times (it's much, much more infectious than influenza) and if the death rate is 2.29% as it currently is, then you're looking at almost 180 million dead. Even if their predictions are wildly wrong, and if the death rate is halved, and the number of infections are a tenth, with better access to the right drugs, sooner, then it still has the ability to be a major problem, world wide with potentially around 9 million dead.

Make no mistake, this virus has the potential to be a major problem.
02-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The most secure collaboration platform · Wire
Wire might be a better platform altogether
02-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Wire might be a better platform altogether
May as well use Telegram as a collaboration platform. At least it's multi-platform and free.

FWIW, one has to assume that all such apps are likely to be seriously compromised [by spooks and other serious actors] if they carry any kind of valuable business or intel traffic. The 'super secure unbreakable security' offered by many of these apps is pure snake-oil.

02-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So what was Ricoh going to launch at CP+ anyway? The new aps-c model was postponed it seems, so maybe the D FA * 85mm. They can hold Ricoh events in their Japanese imaging Squares.
02-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Bummer, but better safe than sorry.
02-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this cancellation is an opportunity for the manufacturing companies to develop and present 'virtual booths' online at their websites. While online content cannot replace the benefit of hands-on experience or the concentration of a trade show, there are possibilities for highlighting or introducing new products, showing 3-D visualizations, videos, interviews, messaging, etc. If CIPA were nimble, they could use their website as the launch point for many of the brands that were registered for CP+.

Such a virtual presence would potentially reach a larger audience over an extended period than is possible with a physical show.

- Craig
02-14-2020, 07:17 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A vaccine is likely at least a year away, trials not included. This thing has the potential of infecting 2/3 of the world's population, according to the New York Times (it's much, much more infectious than influenza) and if the death rate is 2.29% as it currently is, then you're looking at almost 180 million dead. Even if their predictions are wildly wrong, and if the death rate is halved, and the number of infections are a tenth, with better access to the right drugs, sooner, then it still has the ability to be a major problem, world wide with potentially around 9 million dead.

Make no mistake, this virus has the potential to be a major problem.
I wonder when China will finally, permanently ban live animal markets once and for all (and enforce the ban) . In Chinese culture meat from freshly killed animals is preferred over meat from animals butchered at slaughterhouses before shipping to markets. Banning live animal markets would presumably reduce the risk of viruses jumping from livestock and wild animals to humans. Such jumps causing pandemics have been happening in China for centuries. See the prophetic 2017 article from the Smithsonian Institution:
Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic? | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

See also:
Chinese Food Will Determine the Spread of Pandemics:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/energy/chinese-food-will-determine-t...0b1_story.html

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 02-14-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Supplementary info
02-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm thinking we'll just do the interview at the Pentax HQ. May end up being better than from the show floor, actually.
Excellent!
02-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Telegram
Yes it seems wire has no free option now.
02-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The other issue is the effect on the supply chain for electronic components in particular, most of them made in China.

The K-new could possibly be delayed due to parts shortages.
02-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So what was Ricoh going to launch at CP+ anyway? The new aps-c model was postponed it seems, so maybe the D FA * 85mm. They can hold Ricoh events in their Japanese imaging Squares.
We had already been warned that the "K-3ii replacement" might be summer ..... or later.
QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
When I read this I feel a little bad mood, from website 「デジカメInfo」, which means digital camera information, I've got a news said that the new APS-C flagship will on sell in Summer 2020, for me this means quite being delayed