Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good products are terrible for business

Over the last couple of years, I've been looking at reviews of monitors and the many variants in terms of resolution, color gamut, brightness , constrast, and all was certainly appealing, compared to an 8 years old 200 euros Philips branded monitor. How recent understanding of color management (thanks to contributions on the forum), helped me realized that my 8 years old monitor is actually pretty good, I can't believe I got it for 200 euros, it must have been a mistake from the retailer who under-estimated the quality of the monitor, maybe a seller lacking understanding of technical spec got pressured by an agressive purchaser who didn't care about specification.

Anyway, thank to color calibration, I don't need to buy a new monitor. So long story short, considering I'm like the average customer, that monitor sale in 2012 killed off monitor sales for at least 8 years, bad for Philips business and also bad for competing brands who won't see any fresh money from me for a long time.

02-15-2020, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Over the last couple of years, I've been looking at reviews of monitors and the many variants in terms of resolution, color gamut, brightness , constrast, and all was certainly appealing, compared to an 8 years old 200 euros Philips branded monitor. How recent understanding of color management (thanks to contributions on the forum), helped me realized that my 8 years old monitor is actually pretty good, I can't believe I got it for 200 euros, it must have been a mistake from the retailer who under-estimated the quality of the monitor, maybe a seller lacking understanding of technical spec got pressured by an agressive purchaser who didn't care about specification.

Anyway, thank to color calibration, I don't need to buy a new monitor. So long story short, considering I'm like the average customer, that monitor sale in 2012 killed off monitor sales for at least 8 years, bad for Philips business and also bad for competing brands who won't see any fresh money from me for a long time.
That's one way of looking at it, I guess. However...

If your monitor had died just two or three years after purchase, or you found it was only covering 47% of the sRGB gamut, would you have replaced it with another Philips? I seriously doubt it. You'd most likely have chosen another brand, and told your friends about your poor experience. That's bad for business.

Conversely, when you next decide to buy a new monitor - and I'm sure it will happen eventually, either because your existing one finally fails or you want something bigger, with better resolution, faster refresh, different features, better connectivity etc. - there's a pretty good chance you'll go back to Philips, or at least consider doing so; and if it produces a suitable model, you probably won't care if it's 10 - 20% more expensive than the competition, as you might consider that a worthwhile premium for such a (potentially) long-lasting, high-performing product. But even if you end up choosing something else, you've already told everyone here about your positive experience with Philips and increased the brand's positive reputation - and that's good for business.

Brand loyalty is a long game for manufacturers, but if it can be achieved, it's money in the bank...

EDIT: As I mentioned in another thread, my previous HP monitor - a budget HD model that I recall paying around GBP £110 for in 2014 (or maybe early 2015) - is still going strong and now serves as my Dad's main display. It has almost full sRGB coverage, although that wasn't part of the listed specifications, and is great for photo editing. The 24" QHD BenQ model I now own is much, much better, but even that costs less than GBP £200...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-15-2020 at 02:51 AM.
02-15-2020, 01:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Interesting. My experience with this brand is nothing but horrible. Every item dead right after the warranty period.

(Sorting out Philips is usually the first what I'm doing when filtering some products in an online shop .)

Anyway, it seems that while 4K TVs went rapidly down pricewise, it's not the case when it comes to PC monitors.
02-15-2020, 02:14 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good products are terrible for business
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If your monitor had died just two or three years after purchase ... ... would you have replaced it with another Philips? I seriously doubt it. You'd most likely have chosen another brand, and told your friends about your poor experience. That's bad for business.
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
My experience with this brand is nothing but horrible. Every item dead right after the warranty period.

(Sorting out Philips is usually the first what I'm doing when filtering some products in an online shop .)
And there's the very point I made, in action

02-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it greatly depends on the product how long it is expected to work for. In my experience the part of my computer that gets replaced the least is the monitor (or in my special case, I'm still using a case that is older than every other component in it and even older than my monitor). I think a monitor's expected life span is between 5 and 10 years, some might even keep one until it dies, and that may very well be more than 10 years.
So I don't think monitor manufacturers could survive if they implemented some planned obsolescence into their products to let them die shortly after warranty runs out.
02-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t think I’ve ever had a monitor that went bad. Only got rid of them when replaced by larger or higher resolution models, and I think we had as many as five or six at a time, down to two now since the kids are grown and out.
02-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Interesting. My experience with this brand is nothing but horrible.
I must be very lucky then.

---------- Post added 15-02-20 at 19:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don’t think I’ve ever had a monitor that went bad. Only got rid of them when replaced by larger or higher resolution models
If I'd buy a wide gamut, or 4K or both, I'd feel bad to throw aways my old monitor still working fine.

02-15-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good products, both absolute and relative to the money paid for them, I'd wager, have been essential to Pentax's survival as a niche player. People's nervousness about premature aperture block or SDM failure is quite real and well documented on this forum. Fortunately, Pentaxians sense that these are atypical missteps of a manufacturer who usually provides reliably good, if not superior-quality products.

As for monitors, I doubt that I'd take the leap and buy BenQ again if my SW2700PT died on me too early. It would likely serve to convince me that it was time for an Eizo, I guess.
02-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
As for monitors, I doubt that I'd take the leap and buy BenQ again if my SW2700PT died on me too early. It would likely serve to convince me that it was time for an Eizo I guess.
Got a couple of BenQ monitors still working fine (apart from the HDMI i/p on one that I blew "accidently" ) after several/"quite a few" years!

OTOH, picked a "very" old and well-used EIZO "Pro grade" monitor for my stepdaughter but she didn't want it ("long story" - but not here!) and so gave it to to SWMBO a couple of years ago and (apart from one HDMI i/p not working when I bought it) it's a "real cracker", and much better than either of the BenQ's. Would have bought another used one from the same source for myself, but they don't seem to exist nowadays

PS: I paid £50 for that old EIZO, which probably cost at least £1K when new!

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-15-2020 at 01:16 PM.
02-16-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'd buy a wide gamut, or 4K or both, I'd feel bad to throw aways my old monitor still working fine.
I trickle them (computer pieces in general) down to children, girlfriend, etc. Helps me "justify" the upgrades.

Last edited by clickclick; 02-17-2020 at 08:27 AM.
02-17-2020, 05:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I trickle them (computer pieces in general) down to children, girlfriend, etc. Helps me must "justify" the upgrades.
Or you can find places to donate still-working electronics. Or sell them locally, even if it's for $25 or something. Unless it's really old - I just set aside an old 17" monitor whose only input is a VGA connector. And it has a cracked bezel. I'm guessing nobody would take that for free.
03-02-2020, 03:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I trickle them (computer pieces in general) down to children, girlfriend, etc. Helps me "justify" the upgrades.
About a year ago, when my cousing showed interest in photography, I got her an used Oly Pen-series camera which she was enjoying... the only "but" was that it didn't have a proper VF.

Guess who's having fun these days with the K-7 and who feels less guilty about buying an used K-1
03-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
About a year ago, when my cousing showed interest in photography, I got her an used Oly Pen-series camera which she was enjoying... the only "but" was that it didn't have a proper VF.

Guess who's having fun these days with the K-7 and who feels less guilty about buying an used K-1
I like win win situations!