Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Value of photos?

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question.

So, here's the situation...
1. I'm not a professional.
2. My wife directs the basketball games for live TV.
3. I'm there for fun but... If there's a no-show, I'm on one of the TV cameras.
4. I get a press pass since I'm with the TV crew.

With that said, the University's "Director of Marketing and Communications" came up to me carrying a Canon SLR with what looked like an 18-55 kit lens (he was sitting in the stands). "Hey, if you get anything good, we might buy them from you..."

So, as an amateur, I've never sold a photo and have never seriuosly thought about selling photos. Personally, I'd assume give them all rights except resale rights (I'd retain ownership). But I have no idea what the value of my photos are. I'm there for fun & experience but if I could make a little extra money...

Anyway, thoughts? Here's last week's games.

RSU Basketball - Feb 8, 2020 | Flickr

02-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

if you are using their equipment then the photos would belong to them. If you use your equipment you should have a written agreement about ownership, copyright and use as any freelance photographer would do. You would also ask for credit line on any usage.
02-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sure, why not, take what money they'll give you. I can't say what the going rate is. Some thoughts on your sports images. Do you custom color balance the camera with a white card under the stadium's lighting before you begin taking your pictures?

I can't say my monitor is any standard or not. But if you use a color meter/picker tool in an image editor that gives you an average R,G, and B value and you put it over the white girls uniforms, you may see a big red component (eg R=205, G=165, B=152) creating a red cast to the images on my monitor, anyway. The values will vary of course but the closer R=G=B in a neutral color (whites, grey, black), the better color balanced your image well get.

It can be impossible to achieve good balance under mixed color temperature lighting but you can balance for what you want to emphasize the most like the girls skin and uniform colors under that light source. Using a color balance picker tool is not always the answer. Sometimes you have to adjust up/down just the R, G, or Blue channel (or combination of them) in the just the low, mid or high values to balance it.

Last edited by tuco; 02-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
02-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
if you are using their equipment then the photos would belong to them. If you use your equipment you should have a written agreement about ownership, copyright and use as any freelance photographer would do. You would also ask for credit line on any usage.
I'm there to assist if someone doesn't show (literally free labor - just to keep the wife from looking bad on air due to insufficient camera people). Since they provide a pass, it is asked that I get photos of the student workers if I'm not working (evidence for grant money and such). Aside from that, it's whatever I want to do with my equipment. So, yes, they're my photos. But there's no written agreement of any kind.

---------- Post added 02-19-20 at 04:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sure, why not, take what money they'll give you. I can't say what the going rate is. Some thoughts on your sports images. Do you custom color balance the camera with a white card under the stadium's lighting before you begin taking your pictures?
I have no issues taking money but I am clueless about reasonable fees. So I'll likely take anything they offer. Maybe end up with a side gig? My expectations are low.

Anyway, I don't use a white or gray card. The gym is all LED lighting so it's actually pretty even concerning tones. I do have a custom white balance for the games which works well.

However, everything I've posted has been quick & dirty edits. Mass color & exposure correction to an entire day of shooting (largely relying on Photoshop automatic stuff). Had I thought money would be involved... I would have taken more time. I noticed today that the auto stuff screwed up skin tones and I had to adjust saturation down for it to look right.

So looking back, maybe I should have spent more time on accurate color? If there's money, I'll spend time getting it better but they may have their own guy. It's stuff to discuss if anything actually happens.

02-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Go for it - looks like a win-win situation. You're there anyway, you might make some money, you might also make sales to the players, parents, grandparents, college etc. Have fun.