Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

CIPA Jan 2020: pre-coronavirus and already really bad

Mirrorless sales did fall back behind DSLR sales again in spite of all the marketing/advertisement firepower used to force potential buyers to switch.

Overall just bad.

With the incoming worldwide health (and then economic) crisis it will not get any better, even though January usually is the worst month of the year.

Attached Images

03-06-2020, 02:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The curve can even go down out of my computer screen and even below my desk, I don't see any effects it has on my photographs.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-06-2020 at 02:52 AM.
03-06-2020, 03:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There appears to be a pattern where the market happens to be in a downturn around January only to pick up again afterward. Although the global trend is downward I'd say it is a bit sensationalist to attribute Coronavirus to the present downturn.
03-06-2020, 03:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There appears to be a pattern where the market happens to be in a downturn around January only to pick up again afterward. Although the global trend is downward I'd say it is a bit sensationalist to attribute Coronavirus to the present downturn.
I think he is saying that he expects February and March to be worse due to covid 19. January was "pre-coronavirus" and shipments were lousy. They are unlikely to bounce much till the global scare dies down.

03-06-2020, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess the thread title is more of "It's already this bad before the virus shows its impact".

I for one welcome our quasi-alive overlords... with 70% ethanol, ridiculously frequent hand washing, extra introvertedness and generous amounts of in-body ethanol for extra antiseptic properties
03-06-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I for one welcome our quasi-alive overlords... with 70% ethanol, ridiculously frequent hand washing, extra introvertedness and generous amounts of in-body ethanol for extra antiseptic properties
With all those Ethanol fumes around I wouldn't light a match in there anytime - otherwise coronavirus won't be the only thing making headlines.
03-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look good for the K-new getting out soon.

03-07-2020, 02:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, I did try to express that the recent figures do not yet show Coronavirus impact. I would expect it to hammer april onwards figures which will be reported in summer.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2020 at 10:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From a business standpoint I would think postponing it for a year would make sense, Better than closing shop.
03-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K new will be released when sales of Pentax K-3 are increasing again
We say, "if you want to get rid of your dog, just say the dog is crazy". Same goes with Pentax: don't release any new product, so then you can legitimately shut it down due to lack of sales.
03-07-2020, 04:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Sorry, I did try to express that the recent figures do not yet show Coronavirus impact. I would expect it to hammer april onwards figures which will be reported in summer.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2020 at 10:20 ----------

From a business standpoint I would think postponing it for a year would make sense, Better than closing shop.
I'd expect it this fall. The Coronavirus should die down this summer with warmer weather and I would expect things to be delayed, not canceled. In point of fact, Pentax should be pretty close to finalizing firmware on the camera -- body is mostly done.
03-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd expect it this fall. The Coronavirus should die down this summer with warmer weather and I would expect things to be delayed, not canceled. In point of fact, Pentax should be pretty close to finalizing firmware on the camera -- body is mostly done.
Pro early release:
You have it ready and do not want it to lie around and you miss the sales.

Contra early release:
You only have one product shot per 3-4 years and the initial response is key. You now will start marketing it when nobody cares for luxury toys, even less than before, so you sell into a hole.

I do expect the global societal and economic impact to be huge as I expect some major bubbles to burst. I'd be more than happy if you were right.
03-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Pro early release:
You have it ready and do not want it to lie around and you miss the sales.

Contra early release:
You only have one product shot per 3-4 years and the initial response is key. You now will start marketing it when nobody cares for luxury toys, even less than before, so you sell into a hole.

I do expect the global societal and economic impact to be huge as I expect some major bubbles to burst. I'd be more than happy if you were right.
They have one product shot per year. The K-1 II sequel will be next year -- based on the same firmware and PRIME adjustments, combined with a newer sensor.

Obviously I know nothing and if we get to October and the market is wheezing like an octogenarian, asthma afflicted runner, then maybe it should be put off. But there is no reason to think that sales would be better in January/February than they would be in November of this year. Holiday season tends to be a good sales time while there is little extra cash for purchases in the spring (at least till income tax returns in the States).
03-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Japan was already in recession by January.
03-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

At the prices of new cameras and new lenses the sales are still good.