Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

NAB 2020 is cancelled

NAB 2020 is cancelled:
QuoteOriginally posted by Gordon H. Smith, President and CEO:
In the interest of addressing the health and safety concerns of our stakeholders and in consultation with partners throughout the media and entertainment industry, we have decided not to move forward with NAB Show in April. We are currently considering a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community.
Coronavirus Updates and Resources - 2020 NAB Show

03-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the circumstances, I think that's a smart and highly responsible move by the organisers. It's a great pity that events like these will be postponed or cancelled, but critical that the potential for spread of the virus is minimised...
03-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm unfamiliar with the NAB Show.. looking it up, Ricoh had attended these and had even debuted the Theta in 2017..
03-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At this stage Bluesfest is still on.

2020 Lineup - Byron Bay Bluesfest

EDIT: Bluesfest 2020 is now cancelled.

Last edited by beachgardener; 03-19-2020 at 01:46 AM.
03-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
At this stage Bluesfest is still on.
Good luck and good health to all who attend... I hope everyone takes sensible precautions
03-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't be attending, usually I'm out and about, but not that weekend
03-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sad if the real show gets cancelled........ About the Show | The International Pizza Expo
03-11-2020, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sad if the real show gets cancelled........ About the Show | The International Pizza Expo
What... they can't just deliver?

03-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm working as event staff at two large public gatherings this weekend, the JUNO Awards (approx. 8000 people) and a cabaret for up to 3800 drunken university students; in my opinion cancelling public events is the wrong thing to do. It takes too long for the authorities to implement any plan (because it is always a delayed knee-jerk response to a public relations crisis, precipitated by a deluge of speculation) and getting the necessary level of compliance is always too expensive, too inconsistent and too late. There can't be any living persons on the planet who haven't heard of COVID-19; let individuals take responsibility for protecting themselves and provide free testing for as many people as possible, instead of making sweeping pronouncements and tossing political footballs for lazy journalists to broadcast. Just my opinion, of course.
03-11-2020, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The reason that cancelling large public gatherings is good for public health, from history: illness and deaths can be cut in half.

QuoteQuote:
In 1918, the city of Philadelphia threw a parade that killed thousands of people. Ignoring warnings of influenza among soldiers preparing for World War I, the march to support the war effort drew 200,000 people who crammed together to watch the procession. Three days later, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled with sick and dying patients, infected by the Spanish flu.

By the end of the week, more than 4,500 were dead in an outbreak that would claim as many as 100 million people worldwide. By the time Philadelphia’s politicians closed down the city, it was too late.

A different story played out in St. Louis, just 900 miles away. Within two days of detecting its first cases among civilians, the city closed schools, playgrounds, libraries, courtrooms, and even churches. Work shifts were staggered and streetcar ridership was strictly limited. Public gatherings of more than 20 people were banned.

The extreme measures—now known as social distancing, which is being called for by global health agencies to mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus—kept per capita flu-related deaths in St. Louis to less than half of those in Philadelphia
The concept of “flattening the curve” is now a textbook public health response to epidemics, including the spread of Covid-19

Keeping serious cases below the capacity of the medical system allows all to receive treatment. Above the capacity and too many die without resources to help them.
03-11-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason that cancelling large public gatherings is good for public health, from history: illness and deaths can be cut in half.

101% agree !
03-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
2B1
Forum Member

I travelled on a train today, the carriage was packed as was the train, no doubt buses and subway trains at peak times are also packed.The risk to public health is obvious, in fact I would say public transport is as big a risk , if not bigger than any singular large event.
The UK still allow poeple to use public transport
03-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here in Melbourne we have the F1 Grand Prix this weekend! One team member from McLaren and two from Haas are in self-isolation until test results come back. Daniel Ricciardo refused to give a press conference. What about the spectators on Sunday ... too much alcohol to care?
03-11-2020, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a pizza expo, yes, i'd love to
03-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought you had misspelled NBA for a minute!