Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2020, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

CIPA March 2020: catastrophic - instead of surge, it falls off a cliff

Usually camera sales pick up strongly in March to reach the pre summer vacation shipping peak in April. Usually.

This year, March turned into a free fall. I fear that April will be hit even worse as that is when the worldwide restriction were in full force, even more than March.

Both DSLR and DSLM have never ever found fewer customers (since 2012) than now.

It just isn't the time to sell extra expensive luxury toys/gadgets when your old one still works and everyone has one at hand via the smartphone.

Attached Images

04-26-2020, 03:35 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Hey, what did you expect?

04-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And just what did you expect, a huge surge??
04-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for analysing the data. The graphs are excellent as always.

04-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's terrible. For little consolation does it make a sense to put here charts with air ticket purchases and hotel booking?
04-26-2020, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(Laughs)

Well, some expect that going mirrorless saves a camera company!

Samsung and Olympus beg to differ!
04-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess we all should have known this kind of data would be reported - and will be repeated for April and May. What matters more is how. long sales stay bad and how quickly they rise when things start to get better.

I just got a very nice tax refund and my future income taxes will certainly be 20% lower, so maybe I should buy a camera or lens while prices are (hopefully) lower.

04-26-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This year should be the year where a video recording camera produces 30 or 60 frames of 40Mpixels per second (8K video) , whereas most still image cameras can do 8 to 12 x 24Mpixels frames per second. Still image should be at 100Mp this year, at least to avoid having to buy a video coder to take still pictures. No wonder why still image cameras are going to become more and more difficult to sell.
04-27-2020, 02:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
so maybe I should buy a camera or lens while prices are (hopefully) lower.
So far manufactureres have reacted to market contraction by hiking up prices - which is not exactly what we learn at business school.

It would be nice for a change if prices would come down to support sales numbers.

Especially the large makers probably sit on tons of already produced boxes.
04-27-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This year should be the year where a video recording camera produces 30 or 60 frames of 40Mpixels per second (8K video) , whereas most still image cameras can do 8 to 12 x 24Mpixels frames per second. Still image should be at 100Mp this year, at least to avoid having to buy a video coder to take still pictures. No wonder why still image cameras are going to become more and more difficult to sell.
I don't think so.

We have talked before, but video streams are very different things from RAW camera images, these camcorders are really expensive, and the process for shooting video is very different from shooting still photos. Yes, people still like still photography and still photos have a different feeling compared to video.

I think there was a time when painters were afraid that photography would kill painting and it didn't at all. Yes, you can capture a scene with your camera, but there is still something about an oil painting of the same scene that is different. I think the same is true of video and still photography. The one area where you might be right is in the shooting of sports imagery. I could see sports sites just snagging the best stills out of a video stream, but otherwise, I think this is an answer to a different problem -- and maybe one that none of us have asked yet.
04-27-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You have a very peculiar niche requirements set. I'm not sitting around lamenting that my APS-C camera's images don't look quite sharp enough when printed at 3x2 meters. Most people are not waiting with great anticipation for 8K video and 100 Mp stills. The vast majority of cameras sold are attached to phones and have tiny sensors with 12- or 16-Mp resolution.

More still camera images are being taken today than at any point in history, but the market isn't being decimated from above, it's being crushed from below.
04-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You have a very peculiar niche requirements set. I'm not sitting around lamenting that my APS-C camera's images don't look quite sharp enough when printed at 3x2 meters. Most people are not waiting with great anticipation for 8K video and 100 Mp stills.
You are right. If 10% of the total market is made of customers interested in video features and 90% of the market is interested in still photo only, then new models consisting of video only improvement will sell to the 10% segment. So that means photographers not interested in high performance video recording features will have no reason to buy a camera with extensive video recording capabilities, they'll keep shooting still with the camera they already have. That won't help to keep sales from falling. In the PC / notebook business, they keep increasing performance on new models sold at the same price. Whereas for cameras they increase prices of new models without increasing sensor size, mega pixels and dynamic range. No surprice if cameras sell less and less, what's the point of buying a new models if the camera you already own deliver the same quality of images.
04-27-2020, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
To save the old Kerrowdown getting brain ache... so put it simply, who's doomed this week.
04-27-2020, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
To save the old Kerrowdown getting brain ache... so put it simply, who's doomed this week.
Looks like everyone
04-27-2020, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
Looks like everyone
Well folk have been saying that for years about Pentax... so we can now we can make a fast buck and sell all the others membership cards for the "Doomed Club".