Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thye've realized that the D850 AF, frame rate and resolution etc. is good enough to do the job. and in many circumstances the same image taken with a 20-24 MP sensor and a 42 MP sensor if you are going for the ultimate IQ the 42 MP of the D850 offers a distinct advantage.
The difference between 24Mp and 42Mp is practically negligible, we've talking about the difference between 6000 and 7000+ pixels on the long side. Those mega pixels are marketing mega pixels to sell camera at higher price. In the field, I consider more Mpixels become an advantage when a camera has at least 2.5 times more megapixels. We all get soaked into marketing content, but the truth is the difference is negligible between all those camera models.

04-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The difference between 24Mp and 42Mp is practically negligible, we've talking about the difference between 6000 and 7000+ pixels on the long side. Those mega pixels are marketing mega pixels to sell camera at higher price. In the field, I consider more Mpixels become an advantage when a camera has at least 2.5 times more megapixels. We all get soaked into marketing content, but the truth is the difference is negligible between all those camera models.
Oh, it's not negligible when you start cropping. Especially with BiF because the bird is often small in the frame, if you crop a 24 MP image down to 8, you're going to have IQ issues. If you crop a 42 down to 14, you won't have the same issues. You still benefit from added IQ gains to noise through image reduction. At least it's a possibility. I'd be happy if someone could post sample images to demonstrate it though.

For the most part you're right though and it's an argument I've made for years. 1000 pixels per side on a base file that's already 6000 pixels means nothing, until it does. It's only a matter of how much does that "until it does" mean to you? For some guys it seems to mean a lot, and I can only assume their shooting style takes advantage of it.

Although none of them has ever been willing to show me examples that demonstrate the point. Until someone gifts me a D850, I won't know for sure. But in terms of cropping, being able to crop 2000 pixels and get the same image as someone cropping 1000 pixels is going to give me more compositional leeway in good light. It may not give me a better technical image, but it could give me a better image artistically, and I shoot to make art.

Last edited by normhead; 04-28-2020 at 07:04 AM.
04-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't understand why anyone would use a mirrorless camera for birds in flight. Such sessions usually involve long periods of squinting to the viewfinder and following the action. The strain on the eyes, not to mention the power consumption, would be significant....
04-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't understand why anyone would use a mirrorless camera for birds in flight. Such sessions usually involve long periods of squinting to the viewfinder and following the action. The strain on the eyes, not to mention the power consumption, would be significant....
I use both 5D Mark IV and EOS R. For birds in flight I tend to use 5D Mark IV, but mostly because EOS R has a small lag in viewfinder which is a little disturbing for small birds flying chaotic. The other reason is that 5D Mark IV has more fps when tracking. Eyes strain in my case it's already gone with the EVFs from most new mirrorless cameras (except Olympus) and in terms of battery I get 150 more shots from 5D Mark IV so it's not a deal breaker. For big birds that have liniar flight (egrets, grey herons, eagles, etc.) it's ok the EVF from EOS R and it's nicer the mirrorless to track birds due to af points spreaded all over the sensor.

Except the above situation, 5D Mark IV stays at home or in backpack because EOS R it's more fun to use, especially with fast lenses.

04-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have just tested how long Nikon Z6 can display liveview and EVF feed continuously with one original fully charged EN-EL15b battery:

Rear screen stays on about 3 hours and 30 mins before battery runs out. EVF requires more juice and lasts for 3 hours. This is with middle brightness setting (0).

When one takes images and uses AF, these numbers will drastically drop.

Oh, and BTW. I took 9999 shots with full charge and fully electronic shutter. Battery still had 2 bars to go...I used interval shooting in-camera to fire away 9999 shots and exposure time was 1/2 second with 1/2 second delay between exposures.
04-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Rear screen stays on about 3 hours and 30 mins before battery runs out. EVF requires more juice and lasts for 3 hours.
Same as what I get with the K1 in live view for 3h, which corresponds to about 50% of DSLR only duration and about 50% less shots for mirrorless cameras using a battery of about 1800 mAh capacity.