Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 166 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve never seen one of his vids, so he got no clicks, counts or referrals from me. The only thing I watch on YouTube is music and fast cars on the Nurburgring and I’ll tolerate an ad as part of the car vids.

I don’t have to get off social media because I never really got on except PF. No Facebook, Twitter or Instagram accounts at all. I know, Troglodyte. Just me and my cameras.

06-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ve never seen one of his vids, so he got no clicks, counts or referrals from me. The only thing I watch on YouTube is music and fast cars on the Nurburgring and I’ll tolerate an ad as part of the car vids.

I don’t have to get off social media because I never really got on except PF. No Facebook, Twitter or Instagram accounts at all. I know, Troglodyte. Just me and my cameras.
Personally, I hate video for this sort of thing. I can read significantly faster than they can talk and most people don't have very tight presentations and generally take 15 minutes to say something that really would be a couple of paragraphs in written form.

I don't think it is about technology at all, it is about the most efficient use of my time. I don't have a lot of time to waste and sitting around watching these sorts of You Tube videos doesn't feel like a great use of it.
06-13-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Personally, I hate video for this sort of thing. I can read significantly faster than they can talk and most people don't have very tight presentations and generally take 15 minutes to say something that really would be a couple of paragraphs in written form.

I don't think it is about technology at all, it is about the most efficient use of my time. I don't have a lot of time to waste and sitting around watching these sorts of You Tube videos doesn't feel like a great use of it.
Yeah, unless the presenter is very entertaining I also prefer a written article, I can skip ahead or just go back and forth as needed much faster.
06-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #34
Pentaxian

It's a shame as he did some very detailed and helpful reviews. Here is a detailed comparison between the D-FA 100mm macro lens and the FA 100mm as a good example:

06-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think that this is something you do part time not as a full fledged career ?
06-15-2020, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I would think that this is something you do part time not as a full fledged career ?
It's not different from a TV star, or actor, or basically any other similar profession one can think of.
06-16-2020, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
HAS? he finally jumped.

April 18th, he announced he wasnt doing anymore Pentax reviews.However since then theres been around 10.

June 16, he says its his final YT about Pentax.

LI(ar)!....has he really gone this time?

For some who liked what he did,thats ok.His content will be there to view.

There were positives to his stuff but plenty of negatives.

I think he will be back when the Knew/next shows up.

06-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
HAS? he finally jumped.
I don't think so...he did not record the splat.

His credibility has never been very good (doesn't really know how to test), probably because his depth of experience is inadequate to the task. As for Ricoh sponsorship, first criteria might be that one does good work with a camera. Second consideration that there is an advantage to presenting well and being a good presenter (being a Kai clone does not cut it). Third could possibly be that one be able to demonstrate how to use the gear to good advantage in field or studio.

Steve
06-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You mean we won't be lectured in how focus breathing is the most important thing in a lens anymore? Awww.....
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this and the more recent "I'm leaving (again)" clip. Despite his emphasis on the topic, I am not sure he knows what focus breathing means and why it might be important. He doesn't appear to know how to show it on screen.

Steve
06-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
he did not record the splat.
He splated on every one of his videos,as soon as he opened his mouth.
06-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I always found him entertaining. He was never completely serious, an admirable trait in the youtube world of people who take themselves way too seriously.

Would I rather see him than one of the serious internet guru's spouting garbage, unaware of their own limitations trying way too hard to be impressive? Well actually I don't really enjoy an of them including him, but if I have to watch one, it would have been him. Everything he showed you, he talked about and he didn't talk about things he couldn't show you. Most area whole lot of drivel and they say things they can't support with evidence.
06-16-2020, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like him, because he bashes Pentax time to time, Pentax bashing is also one of my favourite pastimes
06-17-2020, 01:12 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I like him, because he bashes Pentax time to time, Pentax bashing is also one of my favourite pastimes
Careful there, sarcasm seems to be a dangerous thing on the Internet

---------- Post added 06-17-20 at 01:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this and the more recent "I'm leaving (again)" clip. Despite his emphasis on the topic, I am not sure he knows what focus breathing means and why it might be important. He doesn't appear to know how to show it on screen.

Steve
Yeah I never got why he was so much against focus breathing either. The images he showed of "look at all this breathing" really didn't suffer a lot because of it. Focus breathing is a legitimate problem for video and it drops the maximum magnification of the lens, but... the effect you don't want is the low mag, focus breathing is just one of the causes for that.
06-17-2020, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Careful there, sarcasm seems to be a dangerous thing on the Internet

---------- Post added 06-17-20 at 01:16 AM ----------

Yeah I never got why he was so much against focus breathing either. The images he showed of "look at all this breathing" really didn't suffer a lot because of it. Focus breathing is a legitimate problem for video and it drops the maximum magnification of the lens, but... the effect you don't want is the low mag, focus breathing is just one of the causes for that.
I always thought focus breathing was primarily an issue in two situations -- telephoto shots, where you aren't taking photos at infinity and so your lens isn't as long as what you want and macro. In the case of a macro it is about max magnification, but it also about focal length at that magnification -- if you are paying for a 200mm macro lens but at macro distances it functions as a 120mm lens, it isn't as much benefit as you would like over a 90 or 100mm macro.

But certainly it isn't the main reason to consider or reject a lens.
06-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I always thought focus breathing was primarily an issue in two situations -- telephoto shots, where you aren't taking photos at infinity and so your lens isn't as long as what you want and macro. In the case of a macro it is about max magnification, but it also about focal length at that magnification -- if you are paying for a 200mm macro lens but at macro distances it functions as a 120mm lens, it isn't as much benefit as you would like over a 90 or 100mm macro.

But certainly it isn't the main reason to consider or reject a lens.
I don't know much about zooms, but the jist I got was the 70-200 is really a 70-150ish? That's quite a lot of reach yer missing out on, for a super heavy and expensive lens, so if that's the case I can see why he's not impressed. As always I take price into account and am more forgiving for optical flaws when the price reflects it. Imo a DFA* 70-200 is supposed to be the best of the best and has a price tag to match, but if it's not fulling as expected (by not getting the focal lengths it claims) then that is a bit bang out of order.