Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As far as Nikon "solving" focus breathing I'm not sure what he is talking about as the most recent Nikon 70-200 VR II shows quite a bit of it. https://photographylife.com/focus-breathing Looking at almost all of the 70-200 f2.8 lenses out there, they show max magnification between .15 and .25x.
Yes, it is sort of the "poster child" of focus breathing.

Steve

06-19-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
How do primes focus breath then?
They breathe the same as zooms, in that internal focus primes have wider FOV and less "reach" as they focus closer than an external focus prime of the same labeled focal length. External focus primes breathe* too, but with increasing magnification and narrower FOV.

I've never noticed much when difference in the frame FoV when focusing near or far with a prime
Most of your primes are probably external focus.

I get some shift is needed, but the way the video presented, it looked pretty bad on a zoom...
Is this how you use your zoom? How many people frame with the subject OOF?

Steve

* Breathe in the sense of FOV changing while focusing
06-19-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To quote from Tony Northrup is to risk ridicule, but I'll do so here as he sums it up quite nicely:
He did better than usual here, particularly since he framed his conclusion in practical terms, based on the assumption that his readers are using an internal focus zoom on a FF camera. He was off base in the assertions regarding primes vs. zooms. I don't think I have ever seen one of their videos where they were shooting with a prime.

Steve
06-19-2020, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

This is from Ricoh site explaining the design choice of the DFA*70-200
"The HD PENTAX-D FA★ 70-200mmED DC AW retains the uniform aperture of F2.8 over the entire zoom range to deliver the exceptional image quality characteristic of Star-series lenses, because PENTAX placed priority on imaging performance over magnification in close-range photography. That’s why the middle optical-element group, rather than the large, heavier front optical-element group, is used for focusing operations. By using the middle optical-element group for focusing, this lens provides a broader angle of view for a given focusing distance in close-range photography. Because of this, its maximum magnification is limited to 0.13 times." Link to the quote here

06-19-2020, 05:07 PM - 3 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
This is from Ricoh site explaining the design choice of the DFA*70-200
Li wouldnt take any notice of this.

" imaging performance" is the priority for people to buy and enjoy the capability...but it sucks because it focus breathes?????? I find his statement to be beyond comprehensible.Feed him jumping beans!
06-20-2020, 12:27 PM - 5 Likes   #81
Pentaxian

DFA * 70-200 + K-1 Someone said it has focus breathign...so what. I just did take my DFA*70-200 walkabout to take some closefocus images with it.If I want macro, I'll take macro, or some of primes to get me closer and greater magnification. But DFA*70-200 is not designed for that it is for photos from 2.8- and up. already really good at 2.8 and through the zoom range.

Here is couple shots I'v just made(and one from earlier today). Snapshots, but you'll get the point.

(forgive me, i have apparently a fingerprint at rear element(was trying to change quickly a lens in one event and for some reason my finger slipped and hit rear element, it was one of those hurry, hurry! moments). it shows in bokeh balls...)

and one when I'm not t closest focus (2 image stitch)

As i said, quick snaps, wide open of little stopped down. Dunno, I really like this lens. even if it is not a 1:4 or 1:2 macro. I have other stuff for that.
06-23-2020, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Unfortunate, but not surprising.
User base is small and not appreciative (so "likes" will be lacking) ;
I at least gave him a "like" for every video I saw regardless or how well/lukewarm I found it (at least for the effort and exposure for Pentax)

Ricoh has always been stingy on working with those who promoted their stuff ( remember Benjamin Karnek? )

Wish him luck on his next Youtube venture

06-23-2020, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #83
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
User base is small and not appreciative (so "likes" will be lacking)
As part of that very user base, I consider myself very appreciative of quality content I've "liked" thousands of posts here on PentaxForums, and (I'd guess) hundreds of YouTube videos where the content is insightful, helpful and/or entertaining. Plus, on the few occasions where I've posted an article here or offered information that adds something to a discussion, many members have been generous in liking those posts. Given that, I'm not sure I'd agree that the Pentax user base is unappreciative. I would, however, guess that a significant portion of it is beyond beginner level, having some reasonable degree of experience. As such, expectations towards the quality of content are probably somewhat higher...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2020 at 01:35 PM.
06-23-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Wish him luck on his next Youtube venture
He needs more than luck,his motivation needs a major overhaul as does his method.

His parting shots at Ricoh products were uncalled for as were his references to Pentaxians.

The brand doesnt need Nikon FanBoys as reviewers.
06-23-2020, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
He needs more than luck,his motivation needs a major overhaul as does his method.

His parting shots at Ricoh products were uncalled for as were his references to Pentaxians.

The brand doesnt need Nikon FanBoys as reviewers.
I think that's a bit mean spirited. I actually value more a well rounded tog who uses other gear to better rate equipment, rather than someone with blinkers on and has eyes only for one brand. Most opinions that float around here come from Pentaxian fan bois (who like me) don't own a single other brand to compare the effectiveness of Pentax. It's great that we got that from Li if you ask me, because its a more rare approach to reviews. He may not like the DFA 70-200 or 70-210 but he thinks the DFA 150-450 is out of this world and thinks when paired with a KP is actually on par with some other brands equivalent for birding. He absolutely seemed to give credit where credit was due, but if he thought something was a rip off he'll let you know.

I. Like. That.

He calls a spade a spade and I don't think he ever lacked motivation.
His last video was very informative, since when have you ever seen a youtuber divulge the course of their business in such details, the highs and lows etc. Good stuff if you ask me.

Certainly his method will need to change. I always gave him thumbs up and subscribed (even if I found myself disagreeing with some of his points), but I never bought anything from Amazon via him and I think this is where his major problem (for revenue) is;

1) An unbiased review will not sell as well as a sponsored review, period. He's just gonna get less sales from his brutal honesty.
2) Pentax is a niche brand, sales will always be fewer than reviewing Canikony.
3) Due to Pentax's weird marketing, it was 90% of the time cheaper for me to buy the lens on ebay with a 20% code than through Amazon, or wait for a B&H sale. Australia hasn't even had Amazon.com.au for that long. Amazon.com couldn't always ship to Australia, so there's just a little disconnection there for us Aussies.

I wish him well and look forward to getting some Nikon reviews. I don't think he's 100% done with Pentax, I'll expect a K-new+DFA 150-450 review from him in the near future, so I think there will be small splashes of stuff coming through still (and he's said as much).

Unfortunately Pentaxians can be an aggressive passionate bunch, which I both love that fact and also hate I think Li knows all about that
06-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think that's a bit mean spirited.
Fair and realistic is what I think.

I would much rather see/watch someone with a full understanding of the equipment than some blowin who sees a niche and decides to take advantage of that.
06-23-2020, 02:53 PM - 4 Likes   #87
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that's a bit mean spirited
Most opinions that float around here come from Pentaxian fan bois (who like me) don't own a single other brand to compare the effectiveness of Pentax.
"How to Win Friends and Influence People, Vol. 2" You don't do yourself any favours around here, do you Eddy?

With respect, it's a bit mean spirited to accuse fellow members of being "fan bois (sic)". They don't call you "doubt boi" or "whine boi"... (do they?!)

Frankly, I believe you're mistaking some folks' lack of belief in Li's testing methods and credentials - and/or dislike of his presenting approach - with a dogged and misguided loyalty and refusal to see weaknesses in Pentax equipment. Most members here (not all, but most) are practical and sensible enough to acknowledge that some items of Pentax equipment aren't the best choice for some photographers. But if they disagree with something Li (or anyone else) says, they can say so without being "fan bois", surely?

I'll just repeat from earlier in the thread Li's assertion that the D FA*70-200/2.8 isn't a "professional" lens because "focus breathing". That's the kind of silliness folks bristle at, whatever brand they shoot, because it's utter bunkum... and it betrays the source's level of experience and understanding. Calling him out on that doesn't make one a "fan boi"...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2020 at 03:02 PM.
06-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Fair and realistic is what I think.

I would much rather see/watch someone with a full understanding of the equipment than some blowin who sees a niche and decides to take advantage of that.
Even when someone can review something poorly, they may still touch upon something you didn't know, a feature or something. If 100% was nonsense then fair enough, but I never thought that the case. Take for example his 70-210 review. I felt like he may have a bad copy if the lens does this poorly at 210mm when focused to infinity, but even that is knowledge, that Q&A is possibly an issue and bad copies may exist, maybe in a years time the issue will be resolved etc. Ideally all lens reviews would be done from a batch of 3-5 lenses but lets be realistic.

And since when do we look down on anyone for finding a niche or a market that has not been exploited or fulfilled? So what if he was a Nikonian that realised Pentax gear is actually really good and decided to start reviewing it, off his own back and without sponsors. What he did is a lot of work!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"How to win friends and influence people, Vol. 2" You don't do yourself any favours around here, do you Eddy?

With respect, it's a bit mean spirited to accuse fellow members of being "fan bois (sic)". They don't call you "doubt boi" or "whine boi"... (do they?!)

Frankly, I believe you're mistaking some folks' lack of belief in Li's testing methods and credentials - and/or dislike of his presenting approach - with a dogged and misguided loyalty and refusal to see weaknesses in Pentax equipment. Most members here (not all, but most) are practical and sensible enough to acknowledge that some items of Pentax equipment aren't the best choice for some photographers. But if they disagree with something Li (or anyone else) says, they can say so without being "fan bois", surely?

I'll just repeat from earlier in the thread Li's assertion that the D FA*70-200/2.8 isn't a "professional" lens because "focus breathing". That's the kind of silliness folks bristle at, whatever brand they shoot, because it's utter bunkum... and it betrays the source's level of experience and understanding. Calling him out on that doesn't make one a "fan boi"...
Fanboi is not an insult, I know plenty of people proud to being a fanboi... I don't get why this is taken negatively, its a neutral word. And of course fellow members insult me, I've been called 'Yapping dog' for example (which I personally adore lol ).
06-23-2020, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #89
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Fanboi is not an insult, I know plenty of people proud to being a fanboi... I don't get why this is taken negatively, its a neutral word.
From urbandictionary dot com:

QuoteQuote:
"Fanboy:

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase
"Object of affection = Best Ever"
However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it."
I wouldn't say urbandictionary is the most dependable resource, but nor is it the only one that confirms the term's negative connotations

"Yapping dog" isn't very nice either. However much we might disagree, you won't hear that from me, I promise you...
06-23-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even when someone can review something poorly,
He excels at that!