Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 166 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMO "Fanboy" (Or "fangirl", obviously) is typically intended as offensive by the person who uses the term. Not always and the term doesn't have exclusively negative connotation. I wouldn't even be mad at anyone calling me a fanboy (or most other things for that matter, if someone slings mud at me on the Internet no big deal ) but I would default to thinking that the person wanted to rile me up. Which is why I would personally avoid saying unless a good deal of familiarity was already present.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"Yapping dog" isn't very nice either. However much we might disagree, you won't hear that from me, I promise you...
Yeah, that one I'd struggle to see as anything other than an offensive one...

Last edited by Serkevan; 06-23-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I ate a couple words on the first sentence
06-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nikon Fanboy

I used that term because that's the way he described himself in one of the parting videos.

In other videos,he openly admits to NOT being a Pentaxian.

If anyone wants to like his reviews,that's fine,I've never liked one.

He has accumulated over 5000 subscribers,I wonder how many will remain as I'd assume many use Pentax.Id rather watch other(rather scarce)Pentax reviewers.
06-23-2020, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From urbandictionary dot com:

I wouldn't say urbandictionary is the most dependable resource, but nor is it the only one that confirms the term's negative connotations

"Yapping dog" isn't very nice either. However much we might disagree, you won't hear that from me, I promise you...
Clearly I have much more work to do here

But yeah, I didn't mention fanboy first! Surfar did! He called Li a Nikonian Fanboy! i.e.

"Sir!! Sir!!... he started it!!"
06-24-2020, 03:00 AM - 4 Likes   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I think that's a bit mean spirited. I actually value more a well rounded tog who uses other gear to better rate equipment, rather than someone with blinkers on and has eyes only for one brand. Most opinions that float around here come from Pentaxian fan bois (who like me) don't own a single other brand to compare the effectiveness of Pentax. It's great that we got that from Li if you ask me, because its a more rare approach to reviews. He may not like the DFA 70-200 or 70-210 but he thinks the DFA 150-450 is out of this world and thinks when paired with a KP is actually on par with some other brands equivalent for birding. He absolutely seemed to give credit where credit was due, but if he thought something was a rip off he'll let you know.

I. Like. That.

He calls a spade a spade and I don't think he ever lacked motivation.
His last video was very informative, since when have you ever seen a youtuber divulge the course of their business in such details, the highs and lows etc. Good stuff if you ask me.

Certainly his method will need to change. I always gave him thumbs up and subscribed (even if I found myself disagreeing with some of his points), but I never bought anything from Amazon via him and I think this is where his major problem (for revenue) is;

1) An unbiased review will not sell as well as a sponsored review, period. He's just gonna get less sales from his brutal honesty.
2) Pentax is a niche brand, sales will always be fewer than reviewing Canikony.
3) Due to Pentax's weird marketing, it was 90% of the time cheaper for me to buy the lens on ebay with a 20% code than through Amazon, or wait for a B&H sale. Australia hasn't even had amazon.com.au for that long. Amazon.com couldn't always ship to Australia, so there's just a little disconnection there for us Aussies.

I wish him well and look forward to getting some Nikon reviews. I don't think he's 100% done with Pentax, I'll expect a K-new+DFA 150-450 review from him in the near future, so I think there will be small splashes of stuff coming through still (and he's said as much).

Unfortunately Pentaxians can be an aggressive passionate bunch, which I both love that fact and also hate I think Li knows all about that ?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I don't think Pentaxians are mean spirited, but I also think that many of us are pretty knowledgeable and so tougher to "wow." That said, I never really thought he was a Pentaxian. He just thought maybe it was a niche that hadn't been taken and he would try.

Canon and Nikon have by far the most users, but they also have more vloggers carrying on about their gear -- a lot more crowded field to stand out in. Regardless, I don't want to see him fail, but I don't know that switching brands to talk about focus breathing on the Nikon 70-200 VR II is going to improve his outlook.

06-24-2020, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

From what I can gather from some channels that I often visit (eg. 360Rumours 26k subscribers , Spindatt 25k subscribers), they have had episodes on how much they make, and I see no reason not to believe them.
Very often, its just a break even or small pocket money and the rest has to be driven by interest.
Being sent review items helps alot.
CameraVille only has 5.9k subscribers and thats certainly not enough

From what I observe, one is better off reviewing cheap China made action cameras or other gizmos than a niche brand like Pentax.
They often are more than glad to send review samples and often the reviewer gets to keep them (and perhaps sell them for a bit of income after that)
The potential buyer base is also higher since the items are also often cheaper.

As part of that very user base, I consider myself very appreciative of quality content I've "liked" thousands of posts here on PentaxForums, and (I'd guess) hundreds of YouTube videos where the content is insightful, helpful and/or entertaining. Plus, on the few occasions where I've posted an article here or offered information that adds something to a discussion, many members have been generous in liking those posts. Given that, I'm not sure I'd agree that the Pentax user base is unappreciative. I would, however, guess that a significant portion of it is beyond beginner level, having some reasonable degree of experience. As such, expectations towards the quality of content are probably somewhat higher...
You have a point about an experienced base, however, appreciation can be well independent of that (and that is the lacking part)
I have a decent level of experience, but I can appreciate CameraVille's efforts that also help give Pentax some visibility in a very Pentax barren landscape (and for that I give my "likes")
I don't go about ... "Oh! I know so much more than him" ... scoffs and no "likes"

---------- Post added 06-25-2020 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think Pentaxians are mean spirited, but I also think that many of us are pretty knowledgeable and so tougher to "wow." That said, I never really thought he was a Pentaxian. He just thought maybe it was a niche that hadn't been taken and he would try.

Canon and Nikon have by far the most users, but they also have more vloggers carrying on about their gear -- a lot more crowded field to stand out in. Regardless, I don't want to see him fail, but I don't know that switching brands to talk about focus breathing on the Nikon 70-200 VR II is going to improve his outlook.
He did mention this in at least one episode.
06-25-2020, 06:02 AM - 3 Likes   #96
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You have a point about an experienced base, however, appreciation can be well independent of that (and that is the lacking part)
I have a decent level of experience, but I can appreciate CameraVille's efforts that also help give Pentax some visibility in a very Pentax barren landscape (and for that I give my "likes")
I don't go about ... "Oh! I know so much more than him" ... scoffs and no "likes"
I'll say again, I've "liked" many YouTube videos and forum posts because I appreciate one or more aspects of their content. No disrespect to Li intended, but I've never particularly enjoyed his videos and don't honestly consider him a valuable ambassador for our chosen brand. I don't subscribe to the notion that it's positive to have any form of representation, regardless of quality. Like you, though, I don't go around saying I know so much more than him, or scoffing at him - but I will say when I think his content is weak and/or flawed if he should come up in discussion, as in this thread. For me to click the "like" button on his content - what I've seen of it, at any rate - would be insincere, and devalue the genuine likes I've given to others. If he had a dislike button, I wouldn't be clicking that either, since I wish him no ill and nothing but the best in his endeavours. But it's neither my duty nor anyone else's to "like" his videos unless we consider them informative and/or entertaining. It seems a number of folks find them to be neither. That's not a lack of appreciation, but merely exercising personal judgement and rewarding the content provider based on merit.

Plus, I think it's become clear that his focus on Pentax wasn't especially altruistic, but rather an effort to carve a niche for himself by doing something different. Sadly, that gamble didn't work out for him - not least because of his channel monetisation strategy (or lack thereof) - and now he's dropping Pentax like a hot potato... which he's perfectly entitled to do, of course, and probably should if his real aim is to build a profitable YouTube content business, as seems to be the case. As before, I wish him well with that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-25-2020 at 06:15 AM.
06-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Looks like reviewing Pentax (or maybe, comparing it with other brand stuff) backfired for him, as Google's mysterious algorithm decided to put view count of his videos into the negatives.

YouTube

06-30-2020, 02:03 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Looks like reviewing Pentax (or maybe, comparing it with other brand stuff) backfired for him, as Google's mysterious algorithm decided to put view count of his videos into the negatives.

YouTube
Can you unsee a video without seeing it first?
07-10-2020, 01:55 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bad News....He is now a Fuji "reviewer"

He has form with Fuji, all bad.He didnt know how to use them.

07-15-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
He just thought maybe it was a niche that hadn't been taken and he would try.
He must have missed everything Photouniverse ever did, or maybe he viewed himself as Photouniverse's spiritual successor?

Photouniverse isn't the die-hard Pentaxian he once was - he rarely seems to do anything these days as far as I can tell - but he was an active photographer with a keen interest in the brand and lots of time behind the viewfinder, so he knew what he was talking about. His vids were what sold me on the K-5 and later, the entire lineup of DA limited primes. Give the man a medal, Ricoh; I bought the 15, 21 and 70 in one hit because of him, and I'd have bought the 35 macro and 40 too if I didn't already own them.

Now if you want to get the best info on secondhand and retro Pentax, including film, THEN you go watch David Hancock. From what I can tell, David's an extremely active enthusiast rather than a professional photographer (correct me if I'm wrong) - but he likewise has that time behind the viewfinder (and for the film cameras, in the darkroom) to show you that he also knows what he's talking about.

There's also snapppypic, but he's more of an amateur enthusiast at a lower level. Nevertheless, he also comes across as someone who actually uses the hell out of the cameras he talks about.

Cameraville just wasn't in the same league. And I note, hilariously, that the video referenced in the very first post of this thread has since been made private. Having watched some of his stuff, though, my final conclusion is that his departure from Pentax reviewing is no loss to the brand.
07-15-2020, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

He seems to have jumped again

He said he was jumping to Nikon (is that his deleted video?), did one video about them, but now he has jumped to Fuji. Perhaps he found Nikon overcrowded and got sponsorship with Fuji. I'm glad it was not Sony, they get more than enough hype already. But ironically, half the videos he has made since are about or involve Pentax.
07-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Cameraville just wasn't in the same league.
He found his niche though,Z league!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
my final conclusion is that his departure from Pentax reviewing is no loss to the brand.
There are plenty of comment like yours,its a shame he wasnt good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Perhaps he found Nikon overcrowded and got sponsorship with Fuji.
In a few videos and in the comments, he "wished" that Ricoh would help him.They didnt and that was the correct choice.I doubt Fuji will be thrilled that he is sprouting the brand.
07-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #103
Pentaxian

A strange way of jumping, seeing how he still talks mostly about Pentax...
07-20-2020, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

Sorry I come late to "the party".

That guy made it again. I started to watch his videos with a clear intention of learning.
But as the most of you stated above he had shown knowing nothing about Pentax.

Then I have seen his Crying videos "nobody clicks my links, i found a nieche in Pentax and I went for it but you guys don't click my affiliate links or buy any merch" and so on.

To be honest some of his videos are good, then the most of them are boring. Those "poooow" with his lips are very tedious.

He again mocked in his last video not only about the brand but specially about the users and even his subscribers that use Pentax. No idea why he does that. I am assuming he hates and he is frustrated with none of us buying his merch.

I do like channels from youtubers like Mark Holtze that share their passion
Mark Holtze - YouTube

And Matt Day for example

Matt Day - YouTube

That also does a job with a passion not trying to create a business out of youtube as that Li guy seems to try to do.

But the last video is so disrespectful I had to watch it twice to see everything.
And the comments, OMG he is such an as*.

I clearly stated that he shows frustrated due to the lack of money generated by his channel, and he is frustrated blaming subs and pentax users. And he became to start saying bulls**t. Oh and he started to delet comments of course. The most critics, so soon the video will be private xD.

What a wonderful humble human being really.

Last edited by red5isalive; 07-20-2020 at 02:49 PM.
07-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Kobie calls him out and rightfully so.