Henry's, Canada's Top Photo Retailer, to Close a Quarter of Its Stores

05-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some good news

it is only 7 and online selling will continue

QuoteQuote:
. . . Henry’s will be closing 7 of its locations permanently. The closing stores are the ones in Coquitlam, Langley, Victoria, Brampton, Markham, Nepean, and Sudbury.
Henry’s is aiming to reopen the remaining 22 stores once it’s able to. At the same time, Henry’s will continue to focus on selling online.
05-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this news.

Here's another press release: Henry's announces restructuring plans with strategic focus on the future

Living in Ottawa, I have bought all of my Pentax cameras from Henry's as well as several Canon point-and-shoots and various bags and accessories. I have found their service to be friendly and helpful, and they were particularly supportive when I required several warranty repairs. Regrettably, they downsized their Pentax inventory several years ago, and their Ottawa stores normally don't have Pentax on the shelf. All of my recent lens purchases have been from other outlets, owing to Henry's 'no returns' policy on special-order items.

I see that they will close one of their three Ottawa stores, leaving their downtown and west-end locations. That's reasonable, I think, for a metro population of 1 million.

Edit: Another recent press release in early March 2020 reported that Henry's was recognized as one of Canada's best managed companies: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/henry-s-canada-s-greatest-camera-store...859688021.html

"Henry's, Canada's Greatest Camera Store,was honoured for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada's Best Managed Companies designation. The 2020 Best Managed program award winners are amongst the best-in-class of Canadian-owned and managed companies with revenues over $25 million demonstrating investment in talent and technology, innovation in a competitive environment, and an increased focus on global competition. Now in its 27th year, Canada's Best Managed Companies remains one of the country's leading business awards programs recognizing Canadian-owned and managed companies for innovative, world-class business practices."

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-03-2020 at 12:54 PM.
05-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
some good news

it is only 7 and online selling will continue

True, but not the first time they have gone bankrupt. I imagine a lot of photo shops are struggling

05-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I live in western Canada, but not the west coast...British Columbia. I've been buying from Henry's for a number of years now. Usually place my order at the retail store here and have always been pleased with their service. True Pentax is no longer on the shelves and hasn't been for a few years, but this is true of all the bricks and mortar stores to my knowledge.

I hope that Henry's restructuring works out for them . My experience with Henry's is that they are a good company.

The pandemic and the attendant closing of businesses throughout the world, is bound to have an effect on business, the economy, employees, employers. Hopefully for all of us the pandemic will soon wind down and the world will be able to return to a semblance of normalcy.
05-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting.

Henry's is fairly new to the Vancouver area with tough competition from Kerrisdale Camera's, Leo's Camera, Broadway Camera and Beau Photo in the area.

Lens and Shutter had already closed all its stores in the Vancouver area back a year or so. So no big surprise Henry's is closing threes stores in BC. By the time COVID-19 is finally gone, I'm sure some of the other camera stores in BC will also shut their doors for good.

I've been shopping at Kerrisdale Camera's since the 1970's and they're still my main store, along with Beau Photo which is across the street from where I live.

Phil.
05-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thanks for posting.

Henry's is fairly new to the Vancouver area with tough competition from Kerrisdale Camera's, Leo's Camera, Broadway Camera and Beau Photo in the area.

Lens and Shutter had already closed all its stores in the Vancouver area back a year or so. So no big surprise Henry's is closing threes stores in BC. By the time COVID-19 is finally gone, I'm sure some of the other camera stores in BC will also shut their doors for good.

I've been shopping at Kerrisdale Camera's since the 1970's and they're still my main store, along with Beau Photo which is across the street from where I live.

Phil.
Phil,

Out of curiosity, is Pentax stock available in store at any camera shop in Vancouver ?

Does London Drugs still handle camera equipment ?

Thx,

Les
05-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a nostaligic perspective, I feel badly hearing this news. From a current Pentaxian's viewpoint, it's almost a "who's" having trouble? Over the last 25 years I've shopped most of their stores in the greater GTA and find they've generally evolved away from the Pentax brand offering comments like "we can order it" but exhibiting a total lack of product specifc knowledge to help with your purchase decision. More recently, have had a few of the junior sales clerks out and tell me the non-stock Pentax thing was corporate and that Pentax was "broke". Further, I think their stores have lost that "camera store feel" wanting to emulate the big box electronic stores with glitzy store fronts, commission driven clerks selling volume driven by the current fad. You could see it coming. When mail-order is considered, there's a lot of other stores in the greater GTS, that have stock and knowledge (when it comes to Pentax product) and now people have become used to on-line purchasing, they'll not likely win tis game either. Sadly, I miss the good days of the bazaar-like environment at Hnery's downtown store or, for a special treat, going to their outlet store just a few doors down the road. Beyond getting the product you wanted, these outlings were fun! Some of the other GTA stores (not Henry's) still have it and are selling system investments rather than fads with good supportive knowledge.

05-04-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Phil,

Out of curiosity, is Pentax stock available in store at any camera shop in Vancouver ?

Does London Drugs still handle camera equipment ?

Thx,

Les
Yes most stores have a very small amount of Pentax gear, but you can get them to order the rest. So if you go to the stores online page it lists pages of Pentax gear, but you have to see if the item is in stock or special order.

Henry's had no Pentax gear in their main Vancouver store, London Drugs just had a couple bodies & lenses the last time I checked.

There is defiantly less Pentax new gear in stores these days, but Beau Photo & Kerrisdale Cameras main store do carry a lot of used Pentax gear.

Phil.
05-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks for posting this news.

Here's another press release: Henry's announces restructuring plans with strategic focus on the future

Living in Ottawa, I have bought all of my Pentax cameras from Henry's as well as several Canon point-and-shoots and various bags and accessories. I have found their service to be friendly and helpful, and they were particularly supportive when I required several warranty repairs. Regrettably, they downsized their Pentax inventory several years ago, and their Ottawa stores normally don't have Pentax on the shelf. All of my recent lens purchases have been from other outlets, owing to Henry's 'no returns' policy on special-order items.

I see that they will close one of their three Ottawa stores, leaving their downtown and west-end locations. That's reasonable, I think, for a metro population of 1 million.

Edit: Another recent press release in early March 2020 reported that Henry's was recognized as one of Canada's best managed companies: Henry's, Canada's Greatest Camera Store named one of Canada's Best Managed Companies

"Henry's, Canada's Greatest Camera Store,was honoured for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada's Best Managed Companies designation. The 2020 Best Managed program award winners are amongst the best-in-class of Canadian-owned and managed companies with revenues over $25 million demonstrating investment in talent and technology, innovation in a competitive environment, and an increased focus on global competition. Now in its 27th year, Canada's Best Managed Companies remains one of the country's leading business awards programs recognizing Canadian-owned and managed companies for innovative, world-class business practices."

- Craig
Another Ottawa shooter here (hi!) Same story here. I bought my K3 at Henrys downtown after much deliberation between brands. This was in 2016, before they stopped carrying Pentax. It's too bad, I always thought it was nice they had a wide range of systems, you could go there and see a bit of everything. I've also been shopping online (and used!) but have been talking myself into getting some godox strobes from Henrys. They're a good store.
05-07-2020, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

[

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 12:05 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes most stores have a very small amount of Pentax gear, but you can get them to order the rest. So if you go to the stores online page it lists pages of Pentax gear, but you have to see if the item is in stock or special order.

Henry's had no Pentax gear in their main Vancouver store, London Drugs just had a couple bodies & lenses the last time I checked.

There is defiantly less Pentax new gear in stores these days, but Beau Photo & Kerrisdale Cameras main store do carry a lot of used Pentax gear.

Phil.
Thx Phil for the info.

I see you've shot Pentax since 1975, in my case since '68. Things have changed since then as far as easy availability , but on the other hand I have no qualms about ordering online, invariably through a shop, such as Henry's.

I do remember that when I got into photography in 1968 there was quite a bit of Pentax and other manufacturers equipment at camera shops, some drug stores, large general stores and I could handle equipment in stock and decide, back then I was deciding between Nikon (Nikkormat) and Pentax.

The world has changed of course.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-08-2020 at 10:56 AM.
05-08-2020, 03:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do most of my "serious" business with Camera Canada in London, Ontario ... Mr Todd, a very helpful guy. They sell online and are always ready to offer you advantageous deals.

Regards
05-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've seen this attached to a couple of companies I do business with. One is the company I buy new cars from, have them serviced there, etc. This company does a very fine job, but I've often wondered who determines Canada's Best Managed Companies. I've never looked into it.

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 12:05 AM ----------

Thx Phil for the info.

I see you've shot Pentax since 1975, in my case since '68. Things have changed since then as far as easy availability , but on the other hand I have no qualms about ordering online, invariably through a shop, such as Henry's.

I do remember that when I got into photography in 1968 there was quite a bit of Pentax and other manufacturers equipment at camera shops, some drug stores, large general stores and I could handle equipment in stock and decide, back then I was deciding between Nikon (Nikkormat) and Pentax.

The world has changed of course.

Les
That's odd, I see a quote above attributed to me, that someone else said?
05-08-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
That's odd, I see a quote above attributed to me, that someone else said?
I think it's a glitch in the text-select auto-quote tool when quoting from an embedded quote.

- Craig
05-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think it's a glitch in the text-select auto-quote tool when quoting from an embedded quote.

- Craig
I think Craig is right. Sorry bobbotron if it was attributed to you. I've removed that whole quote.

Les