Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Possibly No GPS ?….quite possibly No onboard flash ?......And almost certainly NO articulating screen ?.....Sounds like a real Winner !
I got to this party a bit late so please excuse my excitement (or lack thereof)…..
Onboard flash is just a toy, so what's up with that comment?

Other than that, I understand your sentiments. But I'm also sure Ricoh know they can't release a camera which in many aspects would be a step back compared to previous models. The latest lenses indicate they are willing to take their time to engineer stuff with aims to compete at the top end. So .. besides the new viewfinder I expect some interesting feature we cannot see. Maybe they even eye a chance of stealing a couple of customers from the other brands, which are struggling themself.

If it is a new viewfinder and tuned AF-system. Well ... yeah, it will be a tough sell then.

06-04-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote

Other than that, I understand your sentiments. But I'm also sure Ricoh know they can't release a camera which in many aspects would be a step back compared to previous models. The latest lenses indicate they are willing to take their time to engineer stuff with aims to compete at the top end. So .. besides the new viewfinder I expect some interesting feature we cannot see. Maybe they even eye a chance of stealing a couple of customers from the other brands, which are struggling themself.

If it is a new viewfinder and tuned AF-system. Well ... yeah, it will be a tough sell then.
And GPS is just a toy... and an articulated viewfinder is just a toy... and 4k video is just a toy... and an optical viewfinder is a toy... and more than 24 Mp... and more than 6 fps... and pixel shift... and... and...

It will be interesting to see which of the "toys" they keep and which they don't... and which "toys" we as potential buyers find essential...

I agree, it does need to step forward, and losing some of the "toys" makes that perception harder to maintain...

But I think the end result will be a good one...

-Eric
06-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When buying the K-3ii, I had misgivings regarding the lack of a built-in flash. Not that I used such a facility very often, but "just in case". In practice, I've not missed the flash at all - I have a separate flash unit, but I kept my K50 which I'll take out if I think I might need a "convenient" flash unit. The GPS I'm beginning to use more than I thought I would.
06-04-2020, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

By the time this camera rolls around, I'll have waited about 4 years for it. Hahaha!

I'm really looking forward to it & that upcoming DA* 16-50mm PLM lens.

06-04-2020, 01:53 PM - 5 Likes   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No GPS??

Who in the heck says no GPS??? Everything is just a bunch of rumors and assumptions......so please stop with the incessant whining!
06-04-2020, 02:46 PM - 3 Likes   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we should just calm down. We don't know anything yet except what it looks like. How about we wait until it's released. And then we'll know. Then we'll know we know. Then we'll know what we need to know.
06-05-2020, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just watched the "introduction" video on YT and it looks solid and interesting. More of a photographer camera, concentrated on what's important then on technical gimmicks. I would not miss GPS or flash, frankly I do not use first even on smartphone and I do not remember last time I used onboard flash.Only thing I really hope for is tilted screen. Will save a lot of live in my old bones if I do not have to get flat on peron or into mud to take some from below shots

On my "you will never get this" wishlist in viewfinder with raster for manual focusing.

06-05-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #158
Pentaxian

Dreaming here, I think I've said it before but some features I think would really make an other-brand killing camera: Electronically switchable IRUV pass/cut/clear filters for ultimate creative control over how you want the scene to look and what light to use. Just recently I thought what about a software simulated bayer matrix, making the sensor mono, enabling the user to turn off the simulated matrix and pull out the full potential of the sensor. Combine that with just two switchable filters (IRUV cut and a clear) and you'd have a very sensitive camera able to do whatever you want with it... This would allow pentax to jump leaps and bounds ahead of competition and honestly, if done, I'd trade it for the GPS, onboard flash, video (which is just silly anyway in a still camera) tilt-able screen simply because it would allow me to be far more creative than any of those features combined.
It's a dream. I'm allowed to dream.
Specific astro feature that would be awesome: maybe something like the o-gps but it has a bright laser built in that turns SR into adaptive optics... Pentax has control down to the pixel level, so it wouldn't be hard to turn into adaptive sensor technology. Another dream, but if they did and did all the suggestions, they'd seriously mop of the floor in the realm of DSLRs used for all types of astrophotography. And if it's one thing I know, astro folks like to spend $$ on things that truly boost performance.
06-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote

I was surprised by the reaction to the K-3ii. I was surprised that anyone would value OnBoard Flash on a camera before that.

Before the K-3ii I viewed flash as something used by amateurs to photograph the back of the bald head ahead of them while signaling to me that the NASCAR race was starting, but apparently there are others. I do not use one, but then I am happy with my KP and don't plan to get the new camera, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter on this. I accidentally glued shut the flash top of my KP (*) and haven't noticed the 'loss'. I still use the Vivitar flash unit {name label fell off years ago} I purchased over thirty years ago to photograph our babies with my "Super Program" {our older daughter was born in 1987}, but that is just me.

(*) I accidentally cracked the top of the camera and tried to stabilize that area using Gorilla Glue.
Attached Images

06-05-2020, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but that is just me
Yes it is.

I have the 540, the 360, a Vivitar and a few no-names but unless I specifically plan to take a flash photo none of them are on the camera. If they were on the camera all the time I wouldn't have any left, they would all be broken from pushing through the bush. If any had survived I probably would have missed a shot because I forgot the flash or I forgot to put batteries in or I didn't have any charged batteries or....

The onboard flash is always there, always has a charged battery and doesn't get caught up in branches. It may not be a great flash but with a little practice it is very useable even at distances you wouldn't expect.

But that's just me.

I am disappointed that Pentax doesn't see the value in that 'useless' little flash and I know I will miss shots because it's not there. But hey, I probably use it for less that for one in a thousand or two thousand shots so not having it won't kill me but I will miss it and I will miss shots.

But that's just me.

I am aware that some people feel that having an onboard flash somehow makes them a lesser photographer and that they feel ashamed when those without an onboard flash look down their noses at them.

Me, I am getting really annoyed with those suggesting that those who would rather have an onboard flash than a GPS or flippy screen can't take a decent photo. I have seen no suggestion here that the desire for a GPS or flippy screen in anyway lessens the abilities of those that desire them.

It seems that every thread about the new camera is about 99% about flashes, GPSs, or flippy screens. But then, what else has Pentax given us to talk about.

It is disappointing that Pentax doesn't release more information about the new camera, they could say so much without giving away any real surprises. But perhaps there are no real surprises, that would be disappointing.

But I think the marketing guy is a big fan of Japanese game shows, you know, a bit of torture and humiliation. He's going dribble stuff out as slowly as he can so he can laugh at our suffering, it's all part of the game.

As it stands, if this was a new car we were waiting on and (GM, Ford or whoever) let it be know that the new model was about the same size as the previous model, had a bigger windshield, a self adjusting mirror and was more dynamic (whatever the hell that means) most of us would have bought a different car by now.
06-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote

It is disappointing that Pentax doesn't release more information about the new camera, they could say so much without giving away any real surprises. But perhaps there are no real surprises, that would be disappointing.

As it stands, if this was a new car we were waiting on and (GM, Ford or whoever) let it be know that the new model was about the same size as the previous model, had a bigger windshield, a self adjusting mirror and was more dynamic (whatever the hell that means) most of us would have bought a different car by now.
Great minds think alike! This is practically the exact same thing I mentioned in my reaction video after seeing the Pentax update.

06-06-2020, 04:11 AM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Japanese advertising is its own thing. Canon and Nikon teased their 1DX Mk3 and D6 forever. Heck, we know about as much of the R5 as we know of the K-new, Pentax is just being slower about it.

I don't know about Australia, but here car advertising is basically "hey, this year's version of [model that has been practically unchanged in the last 15 years] is up for sale at this price"... and it works . Non-luxury cars are tools and people buy what's cheap, reliable and ideally made in the same country, so "new features" or a massively increased engine aren't really a big thing that drives the purchase (and luxury cars are a statement, I don't see any car over 40K having advertisements).
06-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #163

The onboard flash is always there, always has a charged battery and doesn't get caught up in branches. It may not be a great flash but with a little practice it is very useable even at distances you wouldn't expect.

But that's just me.
No, you are not alone. For me the onboard flash is an essential feature, too.

For macro photography of insects, flowers… it is very useful, to get some extra light from the front. Because of the short distances, the intensity of the onboard flash is more the sufficient for fill in illumination. I am using a sheet of rigid plastics fixed on the front of the lens, to get a diffusion effect close to the object.

When I use the full setup with 2 dedicated flashes, the onboard flash is useful as master. This way I can place the 2 flashes in the best position for the picture.

But in the field, most of the time using the onboard flash is better, as it is quick to activate, and the insects do not flee so easily as with the big setup, that must seem to be a giant to them.

Cheers - Klaus
06-06-2020, 05:29 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it is.

I have the 540, the 360, a Vivitar and a few no-names but unless I specifically plan to take a flash photo none of them are on the camera. If they were on the camera all the time I wouldn't have any left, they would all be broken from pushing through the bush. If any had survived I probably would have missed a shot because I forgot the flash or I forgot to put batteries in or I didn't have any charged batteries or....

But that's just me.

I am disappointed that Pentax doesn't see the value in that 'useless' little flash and I know I will miss shots because it's not there. But hey, I probably use it for less that for one in a thousand or two thousand shots so not having it won't kill me but I will miss it and I will miss shots.

But that's just me.

I am aware that some people feel that having an onboard flash somehow makes them a lesser photographer and that they feel ashamed when those without an onboard flash look down their noses at them.

Me, I am getting really annoyed with those suggesting that those who would rather have an onboard flash than a GPS or flippy screen can't take a decent photo. I have seen no suggestion here that the desire for a GPS or flippy screen in anyway lessens the abilities of those that desire them.

It seems that every thread about the new camera is about 99% about flashes, GPSs, or flippy screens. But then, what else has Pentax given us to talk about.

But I think the marketing guy is a big fan of Japanese game shows, you know, a bit of torture and humiliation. He's going dribble stuff out as slowly as he can so he can laugh at our suffering, it's all part of the game.

I think that Ricoh developed the perfect solution to the onboard flash dilemma some 30 years ago. I have two Ricoh XR-M film cameras. I also have the Speedlight PX that attaches to the camera. You simply clip it to the side of the side of the camera flip up the flash and go from there. TTL too. It is really handy and mounting it does not change how you use the camera. To some it may look a bit hokey, but it works quite well and weighs practically nothing. Uses the camera's batteries. Just a little bigger than a Bic lighter. . My XRM cameras served me well over the years.

The photo shows XR-X which is the camera's European designation.

06-06-2020, 05:29 AM - 4 Likes   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Great minds think alike! This is practically the exact same thing I mentioned in my reaction video after seeing the Pentax update.

RANT!!!!!! State of Pentax PT 5. Update on the 2020 APS-C Camera and triple lens threat - YouTube
That's far from great thinking. I have a hard time to call it thinking at all; whining sounds much more accurate.

Let me tell you this: no amount of "without giving away any surprises" information would make you guys happy. You'd still be complaining, because what the heck. The larger APS-C viewfinder? That was a surprise. A key point is Pentax continuing strong as a SLR brand. But noooo, it's not good enough.
And the other surprises (or key points) are reserved for the official announcement because that's the correct way of doing it. Breaking news: they'd want to make an impact when they're actually announcing the camera, rather than getting a "oh, yeah, we knew all about it - boring!" reaction.

Then, comparing the viewfinder magnification was never meant as an accurate (or any!) representation of the field of view. It was meant to show you the magnification (and coverage, but that's 100%), which gives you a viewfinder as large as the K-1's.
And don't get me started on what the field of view is. No, the format (or camera) doesn't have a field of view; a camera-lens (at a certain focal length) has. And you'd adapt the lenses (focal lengths) used to get the desired framing... instead of, say, cropping all your images 1.5 times.

Then, the extra 3mm... you're forgetting about the rubber eye piece which adds its own thickness. No, you're not supposed to squeeze your entire nose in 3mm (doh!), but those extra 3mm should make things more comfortable. And I like that.

Then, asking them to talk about things they might not be able to implement. That would be monumentally stupid, because it would burn them bad if they wouldn't manage some feature or another.
Though since the camera is most likely in "feature freeze" (at least for the major features), it would just be making sure the actual announcement would make no impact.

Then, talking about a delay. Wait, what? They said the camera should be ready this year, but you want them to talk about delays? Are you for real?

Last but not least, they're Japanese, and I very much like they don't behave like an American car seller. When they say, "you will be happy" I know there are reasons to be happy about.

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-06-2020 at 05:52 AM.