Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2020, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This is an important point: you can't have everything going "bang!" months in advance, or interest fizzles out. It's sad but apparently the "breadcrumb trail" approach is the only one that works. Patience is a virtue but it's certainly not a human trait
Tell me about it...
The folks wanting the new APS-C should get their answers perhaps by September (if the date is accurate). But me, waiting for the next FF? I have to be happy with the feeling I'm getting, that it won't be a long wait...

06-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Tell me about it...
The folks wanting the new APS-C should get their answers perhaps by September (if the date is accurate). But me, waiting for the next FF? I have to be happy with the feeling I'm getting, that it won't be a long wait...
The K-1 is so much better than me that I have 0 problems waiting for a pretty long time, so I can save for the D FA 21 and to eventually get a body replacement.
06-09-2020, 01:03 PM - 4 Likes   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
As it goes for North America, I hate to say it, but pretty much. At least when compared to pretty much any other sector.
Well, I think we're focusing mainly on the communications, advertising, branding, and supply chain aspects of marketing -- call it exposure marketing -- which are the most apparent activities to the users and potential customers. We really don't have much insight into Ricoh's other internal marketing processes such as market strategy and research, product conceptualization, or price determination. One of the main things we don't know is how Ricoh decides on the extent of their exposure in the various global regions. I would have to guess that they're happy with their approach in relation to their market aspirations.

One of your themes particularly resonates -- engagement and enticement of potential customers, whether they're new or existing, or whether it's done directly or through retailers or "influencers." Ricoh Imaging's web presence generally suits me and my low-key approach to things. I'm happy to read details about the technical aspects of new lenses or cameras, and I appreciate the sense of history and story that Ricoh plays into their 'special content' and 'special sites'. However, I recognize the draw that the other manufacturers style into their communications.

Your thoughts regarding the general lack of promotion of Pentax products by retailers -- at least in North America -- are spot on, I think. I can't recall that I've ever seen any splash-page highlights of Pentax gear by any of the Canadian retailers. And there's virtually zero advertising content in print magazines.

An event here in Ottawa last year gave me pause. Canadian Geographic presented one of their Photographers-in-Residence, Michelle Valberg. She's a 30-year veteran of photography and a Nikon Ambassador. Her presentation on her Arctic photography was fascinating, and she casually referred to her camera kit a few times. But, in addition, in the lobby outside the theatre was a modest table-top booth of -- you guessed it -- Nikon cameras and lenses, with a couple of Nikon reps on hand to discuss the gear. Of course, I played with some of the goodies, as did a number of the other 200 attendees.

Despite the apparent scarcity of their modern advertising, I would say that Ricoh Imaging does present interesting information -- for those who know where to look or make the effort to look beyond the common online influencers.

For example:

Ricoh Imaging Japan (English site):
  • Video presentation to provide an update on products under development (follow-up to cancelled CP+ 2020 exhibit) -- New APS-C camera, two new lenses
  • CP+ 2020 Special Seminar Videos (albeit only in the Japanese language at the moment)
  • Limited Lens Special Site
  • Explore Pentax -- including "Make the most of your PENTAX camera!"
  • Updated roadmaps
  • Star Lens Special Site (features, technology, gallery)
  • Special content -- HD Pentax-D FA* 85/1.4 lens -- product overview, Professionals' perspective (three pros), Development Story (detailed description of the development challenges, trade-offs, and final design). Overview opening statement: "This lens was developed for the ultimate in image quality, so that you can feel the true power of the lens without having to rely on the image sensor or image processing. The quality viewfinder image reveals subject vibrancy and details the moment you look through the optical viewfinder, delivering a refined shooting experience where you can feel the very atmosphere of the scene."
Also, as you've pointed out, the Ricoh Imaging UK website is fairly progressive. As well, the RI European site features the "My PENTAX" page, which is "dedicated to PENTAX and RICOH camera owners." It includes an Image Gallery, Profiles, and My Academy. My PENTAX community for PENTAX and RICOH camera owners - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

Ricoh Imaging is not absent on social media -- there are a number of Facebook and YouTube sites, although the number of followers or subscribers seems relatively low compared to other brands. The Ricoh Imaging Americas YT channel claims 7,200 subscribers, but the most recent video there was posted four years ago.

So, there is a fair volume of interesting online content; it's just not 'in your face'. Personally, I don't have any problem in keeping current with Pentax products or developments. I can't speak for potential new customers. If someone is serious about buying a new camera or buying into a system, it's not hard to find information on Pentax -- they just need to dig a bit instead of stopping at the first couple of brands they see. And, like with advertising for any consumer product, they need to appreciate which influencers are worthy of trust.

Finally, we could consider RI's in-person events. Last year, they held a number of '100 Years Anniversary' special events, but I don't think any were held in North America. The Pentax brand has been exhibited in Canada recently at the Salon de la Photo, Quebec City and Montreal 2019 (see Visiting the Pentax booth at the Salon de la Photo in Quebec city - PentaxForums.com) and at the ProFusion Expo, Toronto, November 2019.

My main concern with the scarcity of Pentax at Canadian brick-and-mortar retailers is that I probably will not be able to handle the upcoming new APS-C camera before deciding to buy one. If a dealer in Toronto or southern Ontario stocks it, I might travel the distance (5-6 hours by road). I can hope that it will be displayed at the Salon de la Photo in Montreal in late 2020, if that expo goes ahead this year (2-hour drive from my house). Otherwise, I have a couple of options: trust the reviews and comments of early users (e.g., here on Pentax Forums), or order from a retailer with a generous return policy.

I hope my comments here have complemented your detailed response above.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-10-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: clarification
06-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or the President of Ricoh Imaging turning up in the UK
Pentax 100 Year Celebration event in Watford, UK - PentaxForums.com

06-09-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

I was shocked a year ago or so, when I went to London to shoot a wedding. In the paper was a half page ad in the local news featuring a K-70 package on sale published by Camera Canada.. They listed a number of items as being in stock, but I din't have time to drop in.

I've also talked to a store owner in North Bay, who was obviously a long term fan, but couldn't keep Pentax product in his shop. Apparently Pentax won't give him even 30 days, he has to pay for everything up front.

So it's clearly a store by store thing.

But as has been said over an over, I'd like Pentax to increase their presence, but only if it results in enough sales to cover the cost without raising prices.

Every one speaks of this as if it would be free. OK, look at crowd funding. How much would each of you be willing to contribute to increase Pentax's market presence? We could start a campaign. Buy a bunch of stuff, Put it in stores etc, see if we can get some thing going.

My point being, it requires investment. Investment Pentax has good reason to think they won't get back. But if anyone would like to set up a crowd funded trial to prove them wrong, I'll be glad to help out however I can.

Who's in?

Let's see who seriously believes investing in marketing for Pentax would be a profitable idea.
06-09-2020, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worldwide? No. I think they should have centres of excellence where if you need to physically hold something there is a bricks and motar shop with a catchment of 10 million+
Look at the UK model, SRS serves London and wider UK. I don't have anything in Ireland so I buy on what I see via the Web. That suits me, my spend would probably double if I had an SRS nearby. Last time I visited, I was sat in the corner of the shop rummaging through a box of green packaged Pentax accessories that they had out the back. Sat on the floor for about an hour. In the US I guess that means NY, SF, LA, etc. Ricoh EU are broadly French centric, but Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, could probably support an SRS type outfit.
I like the way that they are going building up the Special sites be it Limited or Star, the info areas, the photographer highlights. Its all good useful material. The days of Pentax being a mainstream mass market consumer focused brand are gone. You are in the Pentax system because a you're stuck and can't afford to get out, b you're here out of choice and you like it. If you like it, you'll keep tabs on what's happening here, social media, rumour sites and Pentax JP.

Last edited by robbiec; 06-09-2020 at 02:38 PM.
06-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In principle, the centres of excellence concept is a good one, but it has to be funded from revenue surplus. As Pentax prices move into the premium area, that surplus will presumably increase on unit sales, but the total sales figure is the one that will allow such activities to exist.

How the new APS-C body is received, on the basis of features, pricing and sales (not commentary), will be an indicator of how quickly and how successfully Ricoh is moving the brand in that direction, and whether or not such a concept is viable.

06-09-2020, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I don't have anything in Ireland so I buy on what I see via the Web. That suits me, my spend would probably double if I had an SRS nearby.
That's exactly what I worry about. The "my spending might double " part.

I seriously wonder about how financially irresponsible I might become if I could hold any of the DFA 50, he DFA 85 or the 150-450 in my hands. The images are super. But they cost too much for my budget. But my guess is we've all gone and picked something up on a whim and thought, "I really shouldn't have done that."

I have a wife to answer to.
Everything that hers is hers, and everything that's mine is hers too.

Last edited by normhead; 06-09-2020 at 03:03 PM.
06-09-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In principle, the centres of excellence concept is a good one, but it has to be funded from revenue surplus. As Pentax prices move into the premium area, that surplus will presumably increase on unit sales, but the total sales figure is the one that will allow such activities to exist.

How the new APS-C body is received, on the basis of features, pricing and sales (not commentary), will be an indicator of how quickly and how successfully Ricoh is moving the brand in that direction, and whether or not such a concept is viable.
SRS has become a Pentax centre of excellence privately. Chris the manager is a canny operator, he engages with the UK forum (they sponsor it), he bought up all of Ricoh Imaging EU surplus stock a few years back so if you're into Pentax in Ireland or the UK, then you know about SRS. They sell other brands too but Pentax has a lot of presence and truth be told a captive audience.

After my hours rummaging (see a couple of posts above) , I brought my treasure to the counter (genuine m42 adapter, reverse rings in 49mm and 52mm + I think a right angled view finder adapter) and asked how much, the come back was how much did I want to pay?
Needless to say, anytime I'm in the general vacinity I'll pop in and I buy my new stuff via them.

Last edited by robbiec; 06-09-2020 at 04:10 PM.
06-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was shocked a year ago or so, when I went to London to shoot a wedding. In the paper was a half page ad in the local news featuring a K-70 package on sale published by Camera Canada.. They listed a number of items as being in stock, but I din't have time to drop in.
For a good bit I was wildly confused as to why Camera Canada would be advertising across the entire pond.

As for the rest, yeah, marketing costs money, having reps hired costs money... everything costs money.
06-09-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #221
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

we've all gone and picked something up on a whim and thought, "I really shouldn't have done that."
I have a wife to answer to.
Hmmm.

Oh, wait, that's probably out of context, eh?
06-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hmmm.

perhaps a Freudian slip?
06-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hmmm.

I was thinking of camera gear.

But it does remind me of a few jokes.

"Take my wife.... please."

06-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
SRS has become a Pentax centre of excellence privately. Chris the manager is a canny operator, he engages with the UK forum (they sponsor it), he bought up all of Ricoh Imaging EU surplus stock a few years back so if you're into Pentax in Ireland or the UK, then you know about SRS. They sell other brands too but Pentax has a lot of presence and truth be told a captive audience.

After my hours rummaging (see a couple of posts above) , I brought my treasure to the counter (genuine m42 adapter, reverse rings in 49mm and 52mm + I think a right angled view finder adapter) and asked how much, the come back was how much did I want to pay?
Needless to say, anytime I'm in the general vacinity I'll pop in and I buy my new stuff via them.
That’s good to know about. I’m overdue for a walking holiday in the UK (not this year, for obvious reasons) so I’ll be sure to look them up when it happens.

I was imagining something like the Ricoh centre in Japan, or the Paris showroom, which is (?was) purely Pentax. Nice to hear that someone with a good business mind can undertake an initiative like SRS has.
06-10-2020, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

John Wanamaker notoriously said "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, the trouble is I don't know which half." Any model that is focused on older models like print media and brick and mortar stores is probably too backward looking to succeed. Even stores like Best Buy are struggling these days (prior to COVID) -- folks go in, look at electronics equipment and then order on line. I have seen it a lot. Matching the pricing -- particularly if you live in a state which isn't collecting sales tax on online purchases is really hard. Keeping the marketing budget low reduces risk and makes it less likely that you have a spectacular flop on your hands. It also means that there is a ceiling on how high your models can go.

With regard to the K-new, I expect more details to come out a week or two before release. I really do think that makes a lot of sense. Releasing all the details of the coming camera or even most of them three months before it comes out could easily mean that excitement for it crests long before it is available. The goal should be to keep the product present in our minds, while still keeping some mystery about the exact details of it. Steve Jobs was the master of this. His product announcements always seemed to come at the perfect time, products were ready to release soon after, and there was always some surprising "One thing more..." feature that excited people. I don't expect this to be at that level, but that should be the general idea to emulate.