Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 04:40 AM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A waste of time - the article is terribly ill informed, at least regarding Pentax. There is no Pentax company in the first place, as we all know - but not the author (or he doesn't care).
Then the stupid, overused lie "Pentax lenses are made by Tamron" - just as the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 was released. Obviously, his conclusion is that we shouldn't buy Pentax
If he cannot get such simple facts right, how could he possibly know and predict the evolution of the camera market?

Without Michael Reichmann, Luminous Landscape is garbage.
The author never says there's a Pentax company, but does say, and I quote, "As of right now, Pentax is a small division of much larger Ricoh". Of course, he conflates the Pentax brand with the division despite its official name being Ricoh Imaging, but then we could never say "Pentax releases" or "Pentax develops"... which we all do I guess .

The rest of your points are spot on (and the entire Pentax bit sounds like a completely irrelevant-to-the-article, overly long jab that manages to miss the point by a mile and a half), but there's more than enough material to not have to add stuff that isn't really true.

Seriously, the Tamron thing is getting old by now.

07-10-2020, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #332
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus is absolutely different story.

JIP specializes in taking underperforming assets and parsing the out. They are not a turnaround company. In Japan, it is extremely expensive to downsize employees and pensions and salaries. So companies like JIP exist to take assets and sell them apart from those obligations.
In the last 5 years JIP has sold off assets of over 14 companies. Not one has it ever restructured or continued development. It’s doesn’t have the capital. JIP exists solely to manage brands for the benefit of shared agreements with shareholders. That’s why VAIO is 10% owned by Sony and why JIP outsources all design and manufacture to Chinese parts bin suppliers for components. JIP has no R&D, no internal development, no engineers, nothing. They are accountants.
$156 million vs $150 million: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-10-2020, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #333
Closed Account

Apologies, I did not mean to take this thread in a different direction, yes the article isn't good but what I took from it is that Ricoh has positioned Pentax well, which in relation to speculation about the price of the k-new has some implications, hopefully good ones. Now I've managed to read it a 2nd time, my take is a bit of a reach but i do tend towards optimism!
07-10-2020, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The author never says there's a Pentax company, but does say, and I quote, "As of right now, Pentax is a small division of much larger Ricoh". Of course, he conflates the Pentax brand with the division despite its official name being Ricoh Imaging, but then we could never say "Pentax releases" or "Pentax develops"... which we all do I guess .

The rest of your points are spot on (and the entire Pentax bit sounds like a completely irrelevant-to-the-article, overly long jab that manages to miss the point by a mile and a half), but there's more than enough material to not have to add stuff that isn't really true.

Seriously, the Tamron thing is getting old by now.
Hmm... "Beyond Micro 4/3, what other camera companies are in danger? Pentax, of course [...]"

07-10-2020, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Apologies, I did not mean to take this thread in a different direction, yes the article isn't good but what I took from it is that Ricoh has positioned Pentax well, which in relation to speculation about the price of the k-new has some implications, hopefully good ones. Now I've managed to read it a 2nd time, my take is a bit of a reach but i do tend towards optimism!
Things are not rosy with the camera market in such a sad situation, but I am moderately optimistic - and can't wait to see the APS-C flagship.
07-10-2020, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A waste of time - the article is terribly ill informed, at least regarding Pentax. There is no Pentax company in the first place, as we all know - but not the author (or he doesn't care).
Then the stupid, overused lie "Pentax lenses are made by Tamron" - just as the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 was released. Obviously, his conclusion is that we shouldn't buy Pentax
If he cannot get such simple facts right, how could he possibly know and predict the evolution of the camera market?

Yes.... not worth the read regarding pentax... person has not done their home work.
07-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
reference D500 released price
1999.95$
K-new's goal is to exceed D500.
Yikes. I need to get more Amazon points. I thought I was almost halfway there, but apparently not. If this is true, it's going to be two-and-a-half times the price of the K-3ii I bought within about six months of release.

07-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm... "Beyond Micro 4/3, what other camera companies are in danger? Pentax, of course [...]"
Apparently, I cannot read, I stand corrected ...

Honestly the brand/division/company confusion is the smallest of the issues with that article. I'd argue that that one is clearly a mistake as they say immediately afterwards that Pentax *is* part of Ricoh. Slip of the tongue, probably, considering they called Micro 4/3 a company in the same sentence?
07-10-2020, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Apparently, I cannot read, I stand corrected ...

Honestly the brand/division/company confusion is the smallest of the issues with that article. I'd argue that that one is clearly a mistake as they say immediately afterwards that Pentax *is* part of Ricoh. Slip of the tongue, probably, considering they called Micro 4/3 a company in the same sentence?
OK, let's agree he's superficial and go back on waiting for the K-new
07-10-2020, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things are not rosy with the camera market in such a sad situation, but I am moderately optimistic - and can't wait to see the APS-C flagship.
Pentax will most likely be fine. They won't find themselves with a dozen engineering teams suddenly twiddling their thumbs or with entire production lines having to pause. We just need to make sure all the OVF Canikonites see the light (through the prism, obviously ) and come to the flock .
07-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My thoughts exactly, he lost all credibility at the Tamron comment.......so I read no further. No use reading anything from such an uninformed (about Ricoh/Pentax) individual.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-10-2020 at 05:48 AM.
07-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Yikes. I need to get more Amazon points. I thought I was almost halfway there, but apparently not. If this is true, it's going to be two-and-a-half times the price of the K-3ii I bought within about six months of release.
You still have 4 months to get.
07-10-2020, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #343
Pentaxian

4 months? My tax refund will come in 6, coincidence? I think not.
07-10-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #344
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm banking my Amex Rewards points

This month was a huge contributor since I charged a piece of high-priced equipment rather than write a check as I usually would. I didn't realize they would let me use my Amex card. When I first brought it up I was jesting.
07-11-2020, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm banking my Amex Rewards points

This month was a huge contributor since I charged a piece of high-priced equipment rather than write a check as I usually would. I didn't realize they would let me use my Amex card. When I first brought it up I was jesting.
I've taken to putting a lot of things like groceries on my Amazon card, and just paying it all off every month. Mostly because my wife never says anything about what I do with my points!