Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #811
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All the indications are that it's going to be nothing special.
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The rhetoric that a new camera is going to be a nothing burger, before specs are even released, is exactly what the 'Pentax is doomed' people feed off.
Did someone say that?
What are you playing at?

09-29-2020, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still feel little burned by the K-3, The IQ and noise reduction weren't what I expected, in some ways my K-5 was better. Tess still uses he K-5 with good results and I didn't stop feeling a little burned until I got my K-1. Once burned....
Who has hijacked your account today? You're the same person who put together a comparative thread that concluded in the large majority of real-world cases the K-3 has image quality on par with the excellent FF K-1. Now you're saying you were burned by the K-3?
09-29-2020, 12:04 PM - 7 Likes   #813
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

I have owned and used many cameras over the years. I have large hands but never have I ever given a camera's grip shape and size any thought. Much ado about nothing? Probably not, I have seen many posts about the matter so it matters to some people.
Perhaps you don't have to give it any thought because the manufacturer gave it a lot of thought.
09-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #814
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Just seems so bizarre.
...but sometimes I day-drink, too

09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #815
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Who has hijacked your account today? You're the same person who put together a comparative thread that concluded in the large majority of real-world cases the K-3 has image quality on par with the excellent FF K-1. Now you're saying you were burned by the K-3?
Perhaps he did some shooting with the K1.
09-29-2020, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
With regards to low light performance yes, I actually expected them to be able to keep K-5 low light performance on the K-3. The K-3 was also worse for dynamic range. I eventually covered those two scenarios with the K-1. There is absolutely no advantage to 24 mp if when you crop to 16 MP it's worse than a 16 MP camera, and the K-3 cropped to 16 MP is not as much DR and is more noisy than a K-5.

But I love the 8 FPS and 23 shot buffer on the K-3.

So with the K-3 it was a win some lose some. With the K-1 and the K-3 everything is covered except faster buffer clearing and he ability to change settings and open menus while the buffer is clearing.
With the K-new, I'd like a camera like the D850, that does it all and gets me back to one camera for every occasion.

If memory serves me well, the D850 is great resolution, 10 FPS, awesome autofocus, etc.
I've proved to myself over and over I don't need K-1 resolution. But I'd like the rest.

Of course with no tilting back screen, I already know I'm going to have to give up something I want to get the new feature and I don't care at all about it being 3mm thinner. I mean really, what the heck? So waiting for the specs, we are already down 1 zip on the score sheet. Pentax has to move that to a positive. I don't plan to continue with two bodies past my K-1.

On my current Flickr page 45 of the 100 image used the tilting back screen. No tilting back screen by itself almost kill the camera for me. Now if it has decent tracking, and even 8 FPS while tracking or other things that are not available on a K-P, I could bite the bullet, but it's already not everything I want. I don't think I can take another hit. Everything else has to be excellent.

Last edited by normhead; 09-29-2020 at 12:39 PM.
09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
where or where is the K new ??

it's Sept 30, 2020 [ at least in the US ]

My calendar still has Sept, 29 2020 as today's date???? Did I miss something??

09-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #818
Pentaxian

I still feel little burned by the K-3, The IQ and noise reduction weren't what I expected, in some ways my K-5 was better. Tess still uses he K-5 with good results and I didn't stop feeling a little burned until I got my K-1. Once burned....
Yea, I saw K-7. I went for that little late in order to afford it. Just few weeks after I bought it there came K-5. I could have afforded it. Did not want to go through the trouble to return K-7 and buy K-5 instead. Oh boy after couple of months seeing how much better it was, I felt bad. Still did do 60K + clicks with it. I bought K-3 as a preorder. Did not feel burned, but still AF left me time to time thinking. I also bought K-1 as preorder AF was to me better, more confident, but still it was the same in many ways. But I can live with it. Some times less, some times more. I know when I have to really make sure that I got the shot.

If i say that I'm really waiting for the actual results of that new AF we have had hints it could be, I'm not lying. I'm the same, if it is just a tad better, it will not make me go GAS ove the new thing(could not do it anyway, because covid ae my money for now). BUT IF it is improved. That would mean a lot to my decision of what is my next camera. FPS should be good enough anyway(around 8?). Video will be what it is, would be nice, and all but that would not have that much weight on my decision. ISO will be great for sure and image quality. AFTER K-7 that has not been issue for me...
09-29-2020, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's 4:30 AM in Tokyo on the 30th. Can't wait for today's announcement!
09-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps he did some shooting with the K1.
I understand that your shooting style and requirements mean that you get more of what you need out of the K-1 than the K-3. I rented a K-1 a few years ago and I have to look at the Exif data to figure out if it was the K-3ii or the K-1 I took the pictures with.

There are situations where a K-3/ii is preferable to a K-1. Like shooting action.
09-29-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While Norm may be in a bit of a down mood today he has a good point. Based on what we have been shown so far there isn't anything ground breaking in this camera. And I remember time after time the expectations on this forum being blown to such high levels about what the new camera from Pentax was going to be. And each time the actual hardware had no chance to live up to those expectations. I've fallen prey to those high expectations myself a time or two.

I expect Pentax to release a replacement for the K-3II with some unknown amount of improvements / changes. Some of those changes might be good (for me) and some might be bad (for me). Regardless it will be the only game in town for a K-mount K-3II replacement. Whether I actually buy one is completely unknown at this point, until I see what Pentax is bringing to the table.

1) If it is a K-3II with minor updates I might buy it when / if my K-3II fails
2) If it is a K-3II with some nice, noticeable improvements it will go on my list for next year some time.
3) If it really is a K-new with ground breaking whatever, that I will actually use, then I'll get it on release.

Pentax will get my money at some point, when they get it is the only question.
09-29-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps you don't have to give it any thought because the manufacturer gave it a lot of thought.
One often doesn't notice a good camera until he switches with another, and then, "wow, this is so much worse!"
09-29-2020, 12:51 PM - 3 Likes   #823
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
While Norm may be in a bit of a down mood today he has a good point. Based on what we have been shown so far there isn't anything ground breaking in this camera. .
But we haven't been shown anything about this camera except for the fact that the viewfinder will be great, and what can be deduced from pictures. Assuming anything from this is baseless speculation without value.....
The cameras specs are still unknown.
09-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #824
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But we haven't been shown anything about this camera except for the fact that the viewfinder will be great, and what can be deduced from pictures. Assuming anything from this is baseless speculation without value.....The cameras specs are still unknown.
Exactly!! Based on what we have been shown it will be K-mount, have a great viewfinder and excellent grip.

And as I have said before the only really important thing is that it will be a K-mount camera. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
09-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #825
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What to expect!

24 mp....10-12 fps...double the K-3 buffer...dual UHS ll card slots....4K 24/25/30 at 100mbs

U$D 1599.