Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #931
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that. Someone looking specifically at a high end APSC DSLR will be asking:
  • Which one has faster AF?
  • Which one has the best burst performance?
  • Which has the best IQ?
  • How do they compare on price?

And heaven forbid they take "what kind of new 3rd party lenses are available" into account.

The only way to justify paying more for the Pentax is if it outperforms the current benchmarks. I have a hard time seeing that happen, since Pentax has yet to challenge Canon/Nikon on AF and burst performance in the APSC arena.
And yet I regulary capture more compelling images with my lowly entry level K70 shooting alongside some Canon, Nikon, and Sony users (mostly Sony) and generally frame, focus and recompose faster too. Learning to shoot what you have will be far more important than what brand it is or how much you paid. So much great Pentax glass out there, a budget for everyone.

09-30-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #932
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I was just mention this in another thread...
but Nvidia's recently released RTX 3080 beats out (performance-wise) their own previous flagship RTX 2080Ti.
And the RTX 3080 is released for about 2/3 the price of a 2080Ti.

Cheaper does not necessarily mean inferior.
A massively parallel computing board is not a good analogy for a camera; in a camera there simply are too many components that keep their costs (or increase it, as sales go down). The Pentax might very well have a more powerful yet cheaper processor.
09-30-2020, 02:09 PM - 4 Likes   #933
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Pentax might very well have a more powerful yet cheaper processor.
Or two of them.
And better/cheaper RAM...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A massively parallel computing board
Granted: I may not know enough to be going off :P

---------- Post added 09-30-20 at 03:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
And yet I regulary capture more compelling images with my lowly entry level K70 shooting alongside some Canon, Nikon, and Sony users
I've won two local photo contests with images taken with my K-S2.
Jaws drop and I get looks of astounding surprise when I told them I was using an entry-level camera... and a Pentax of all things
09-30-2020, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #934
Pentaxian

Or two of them.
And better/cheaper RAM...
There are already 2 processors, counting the accelerator unit (technically an ASIC). Another one... I don't think so, but it might not be required.
(On a side note, the idea of an accelerator unit might originate way back, with the K10D having a custom 22-bit A/DC)

If I'm not mistaken, the old PRIME could address at most 1.5GB RAM, with up to 3 modules of 512MB (but only one or two modules were used).
I expect this limitation to disappear.

09-30-2020, 02:29 PM - 3 Likes   #935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
And yet I regulary capture more compelling images with my lowly entry level K70 shooting alongside some Canon, Nikon, and Sony users (mostly Sony) and generally frame, focus and recompose faster too. Learning to shoot what you have will be far more important than what brand it is or how much you paid. So much great Pentax glass out there, a budget for everyone.
Give me a 100 MP GFX and I'm guaranteed to fumble everything because the camera won't be doing what I want it to do.

Our friends who got married in India told me that a couple of the photos I sent them were among their favourites of the wedding - and I was using a 30 year old telezoom I bought for 40€ plus a camera that "can't focus moving subjects". I like to think I have a good relationship with the K-1

I just happened to be my usual socially anxious self, focused on the viewfinder and being as far away from the mass of people as humanly possible, so I got a different angle that turned out good
09-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that. Someone looking specifically at a high end APSC DSLR will be asking:
  • Which has the best IQ?

And heaven forbid they take "what kind of new 3rd party lenses are available" into account.

The only way to justify paying more for the Pentax is if it outperforms the current benchmarks. I have a hard time seeing that happen, since Pentax has yet to challenge Canon/Nikon on AF and burst performance in the APSC arena.
Pentax has real APS-C lens options for a high-end pro: DA★ 50–135mm when Canon/Nikon/Sony insist the APS-C crowd use a 70–200 instead, a weather-sealed DA★ 55mm f/1.4 for APS-C portraits, half a dozen beautiful Limited lens options, and so on. Partly because Pentax took so long to offer a full-frame camera, the K-mount lineup has an abundance of sharp, sealed, fast lenses that are appropriately sized to APS-C. (Fujifilm has a comparable 50–150mm f/2.8 for similar reasons.)

I mean, I know you know all this. But I think there are plenty of reasons for a pro or enthusiast to pick Pentax and/or stay with the brand.

I've won two local photo contests with images taken with my K-S2.
Jaws drop and I get looks of astounding surprise when I told them I was using an entry-level camera... and a Pentax of all things
Is the K-S2 really an entry-level model? I've always considered mine to be mid-range. Maybe it's because the K-S1 was certainly an entry-level model, and the name K-S2 leads one to see it as a sequel or refresh. But really it was a new design with a lot of nice specs.
09-30-2020, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #937
Loyal Site Supporter

• Which has the best IQ?

You are aware that Leica did very well for decades selling camera bodies that underperformed in virtually every conceivable metric?
In fact, to get a Leica that underperformed every other camera on the market, one had to pay a very significant premium over the best performing cameras available.

09-30-2020, 03:37 PM - 6 Likes   #938
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As September has come and gone this is now neither news nor rumor so, rather than close it, it's been moved to the "Your Guess Is As Good As Mine" forum.
09-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #939
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Personally, I used to like getting a new lens every year. Right now I'm expecting a new lens or camera body, one or the other every two years. As for cheaper glass, third party or Pentax I have all I need. My Sigma 70 macro has been replaced by the DFA 100, If I was interested in wide angle on APS_c my Sigma 8-16 would be replaced by the DA* 11-18. MY Sigma 70-300 has been replaced by the DA 55-300 PLM. These were all nice stop gap lenses, I've no regrets about getting any of them. But over the long haul, they've all become shelf ornaments.
A new lens every year would be nice. Over the last few years I've forked out for the K-1, plus the new holy trinity of zooms. My purchases are now slowing down. I am eagerly waiting, like the rest of us, on some hard specs and reviews on K-New so that I can consider upgrading my K-3ii. I consider myself a photography hobbyist but I sometimes cover canine events (dogs are also my other hobby) and I've been fortunate that image sales to this very small niche market have allowed me to improve the level and range of equipment that I now own. Covid has killed off events this year though but I still can't wait for K-New even if funds may be tight. My philosophy is for a camera body upgrade every two years, one time APS-C and the next FF so I get 4 years out of bodies. 2 lenses are still on my wish list the 150-450 for when I'm birding (really wanted this to be a 600 ) and the Irix 150mm macro for when I'm doing bees and bugs and want more working distance than my 90mm Tamron. After that I can see my buying smaller lighter lenses as my kit will be all be heavy glass that you don't always want to lug that around. So If I go a body one year, lens the next, body, lens, etc, etc I think I still have a few more years of purchases ahead. Where would the fun be if I couldn't look forward to some new toy every year.... so I guess yes, a lens or body is on the cards every year... for the foreseeable future.
09-30-2020, 05:59 PM - 3 Likes   #940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As September has come and gone this is now neither news nor rumor so, rather than close it, it's been moved to the "Your Guess Is As Good As Mine" forum.
It should be released in the fall, which ends Dec. 21. Do what we always do, scratch out the old date, write in a new one. The forum wisdom seems to be if you claim next month is the month, sooner or later you'll be right.

I currently own a K-1 FF that many said would never happen, ever... after a while you start thinking what people say and do here doesn't really affect Pentax, kind of like "old man river", Pentax just keeps rolling along, you can't speed up, you can't slow it down. If 10 years here has taught me anything , it's that guessing what Pentax is up to is a futile and frustrating way to waste time.

Last edited by normhead; 09-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
09-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #941
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If 10 years here has taught me anything , it's that guessing what Pentax is up to is a futile and frustrating way to waste time.
But we all do it.... as long as we don't get too hung up on whether we guessed right or guessed wrong. We each have our wish list and Pentax will have a list of what they think they need to deliver to bring a product to market that will sell and be profitable. Hopefully we are all happy once it finally gets here... except for those that really want the "thing that shall not be named".

---------- Post added 01-10-20 at 11:54 AM ----------

Folks, 'autumn' goes until December 21.
Am I just a dumb-ass newb here?.... or maybe I'm a bit slow to pick up the sarcasm....
09-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #942
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
Am I just a dumb-ass newb here?.... or maybe I'm a bit slow to pick up the sarcasm....
? Autumn, Fall, ends December 21.
Attached Images

09-30-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #943
Pentaxian

I encourage everyone to go to the original post - click on the link, and read it.
The words used was 'this autumn', which for whatever reason some website took to mean September.
Folks, 'autumn' goes until December 21.
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
It depends on which definition of "autumn" you use. The definition of "autumn" based on astronomy is between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice - the definition given above.
The definition which I use consists of the cool months in North America between the three hot months {"summer"} and the three cold months {"winter"} - September, October, November.
In fact, Pentax management knows what they are thinking, but we do not.
09-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #944
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Is the K-S2 really an entry-level model? I've always considered mine to be mid-range. Maybe it's because the K-S1 was certainly an entry-level model, and the name K-S2 leads one to see it as a sequel or refresh. But really it was a new design with a lot of nice specs.
Honestly, the title I use for the models (entry, advanced, pro) are entirely subjective.
You can buy the cheapest model and do professional work.
You can buy the most expensive model and have no clue how to use it.

When I bought my K-S2, you couldn't buy a K-S1 or K-50 at my camera store - it was only the K-S2.
And I think they just released the K-3ii.
So I call it entry-level - it was the 'initial' Pentax offering, that was currently available.

But the specs when matched to other brands, it competes in line with other brands 'advanced' line up (Nikon D5200, I think).

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-30-2020 at 07:30 PM.
09-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #945
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

? Autumn, Fall, ends December 21.
That depends on which Autumn/Fall you're talking about.
Astronomical Autumn ends Dec 21st. Meteorological Autumn ends November 30th.