Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #106
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Oh you can guarantee English translations of the reveal will be posted here the same day, and a 25 page discussion will follow.
I won't be tuning in. I'm very surprised and disappointed as to how negative some posts have become on this thread.. Sad.

05-21-2020, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I won't be tuning in. I'm very surprised and disappointed as to how negative some posts have become on this thread.. Sad.
The same kind of negativity followed the discovery that the K-3ii doesn't have an On-Board Flash ....
and then later when the K-3ii was discontinued. Some people expect a camera to be perfect for them.
05-22-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The same kind of negativity followed the discovery that the K-3ii doesn't have an On-Board Flash ....
and then later when the K-3ii was discontinued. Some people expect a camera to be perfect for them
The good old Not-For-Me-So-Not-For-Anyone mindset.
05-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #109
Pentaxian

and then later when the K-3ii was discontinued. Some people expect a camera to be perfect for them.
I'll admit, I was a bit toxic to the KP. It just didn't seem ground breaking to me at all. Not like the days of the K10D with IBSR, the K3 with simulated AA, K3II with GPS/Pixel Shift/Astrotracking... "Yay, more ISO that I won't use and no built in GPS..." I'm sure it's a decent camera, but still so disappointed with it for what I'd use it for. Still a bit toxic to it... hard for an astrophotographer not to be when you're one of the ones who has realized that high ISO matters squat in good astrophotography. What matters more is longer exposure time at lower ISO.
I'm reserved for this new one, but have hopes.

But yes, I mainly stay away from these threads because I simply can't handle the video/flip screen/no flash/discontinued mobs.
Excited to learn about anything else in the camera that is new and breaks some serious ground in DSLR photography. Just give me a tool that I can use that allows me to have more creative options than the CanSoNikians...

05-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I'll admit, I was a bit toxic to the KP. It just didn't seem ground breaking to me at all. Not like the days of the K10D with IBSR, the K3 with simulated AA, K3II with GPS/Pixel Shift/Astrotracking... "Yay, more ISO that I won't use and no built in GPS..." I'm sure it's a decent camera, but still so disappointed with it for what I'd use it for. Still a bit toxic to it... hard for an astrophotographer not to be when you're one of the ones who has realized that high ISO matters squat in good astrophotography. What matters more is longer exposure time at lower ISO.

But yes, I mainly stay away from these threads because I simply can't handle the video/flip screen/no flash/discontinued mobs.
Excited to learn about anything else in the camera that is new and breaks some serious ground in DSLR photography. Just give me a tool that I can use that allows me to have more creative options than the CanSoNikians...
Too bad you missed its ISO=12000 performance in 'normal' shooting - that was "groundbreaking" for me.
05-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Too bad you missed its ISO=12000 performance in 'normal' shooting - that was "groundbreaking" for me.
As I said... meh...Cranking up ISO isn't anything different than what the competition is doing.
05-23-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t think KP was intended to be a groundbreaker. Nobody noticed the Accelerator Chip either way until K-1ll. It is a nice travel camera with Limited pancakes and produces great files, but not the cameras you (and lots of other people) wanted. K-new is probably closer . . . . . . I suspect there is something there we don’t know yet. At worst it will have the main Pentax complaints resolved (and then we can fight about the flash and the screen).

Last edited by monochrome; 05-23-2020 at 09:06 PM.
05-24-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

As I said... meh...Cranking up ISO isn't anything different than what the competition is doing.
I haven’t been watching other brands. What I do know is how great my KP performs at higher ISO levels. The D500 focuses very well but my KP gives unmatched good low noise, color fidelity, and DR that surprises users of other brands.
05-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t think KP was intended to be a groundbreaker. Nobody noticed the Accelerator Chip either way until K-1ll. It is a nice travel camera with Limited pancakes and produces great files, but not the cameras you (and lots of other people) wanted. K-new is probably closer . . . . . . I suspect there is something there we don’t know yet. At worst it will have the main Pentax complaints resolved (and then we can fight about the flash and the screen).
Those who have actually tried the KP have noticed. For example look at the end of
Pentax KP First Shots: Going head-to-head against the Nikon D500 at ISO 819,200!
05-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Those who have actually tried the KP have noticed. For example look at the end of
Pentax KP First Shots: Going head-to-head against the Nikon D500 at ISO 819,200!
Wow. Slightly less super grainy. What a surprise.

High ISO capabilities really isn't what helps everything, and as good as it is, at 6400 it's noisy and starting to obscure detail...
05-24-2020, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

High ISO capabilities really isn't what helps everything, and as good as it is, at 6400 it's noisy and obscuring detail...
Eh, 6400 is very usable for A4 or smaller sizes with some additional processing. The K-1 kicks it up a notch by letting you go up to ISO 10-12K with careful processing. But it's obviously worse than lower ISO and it doesn't let you get away with a lot of cropping.

All said, a noisy shot shown in a smallish screen is better than no shot any day of the week, IMO.
05-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was referring to the major review sites noticing the Accelerator chip. I get about an extra stop of benefit, so my max ISO is 3200 vs. 1600 on K-1. What bugs me is KP just goes straight to 3200 and stays there whereas K-1 is more gradual. One of these days I’ll sit down with both of them and figure out which setting is different on KP.
05-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #118
Pentaxian

So a better focusing camera is a good choice versus a camera that has AF issues but with good noise levels?
05-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

High ISO capabilities really isn't what helps everything, and as good as it is, at 6400 it's noisy and starting to obscure detail...
More to the point, the color fidelity for that camera is very good.

Users of other brands are surprised at how little noise, and how much DR and color fidelity I get at higher ISO values.
Yes, this picture {second is 100% crop of first} has some noise, but users of other cameras are impressed by what I get at 18000.

I took this this at 18000 ISO yesterday to show our daughters; I could have used flash, but that might have awakened the kitten.

You may sneer if you like, but preserving color and DR are strengths of the modern Pentax cameras.

I routinely take photographs of squirrels and birds around 8000 with no noticeable noise and no noticeable loss of detail.
Yes, these photos do not show fleas on the squirrel or feather vanes on the birds, but that detail would not have been seen at ISO=100 either.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I was referring to the major review sites noticing the Accelerator chip. I get about an extra stop of benefit, so my max ISO is 3200 vs. 1600 on K-1. What bugs me is KP just goes straight to 3200 and stays there whereas K-1 is more gradual. One of these days I’ll sit down with both of them and figure out which setting is different on KP.
When DPReview looked at it, their review was good - "Impressing us the most about the KP was its image quality, which is now one of our top APS-C performers. Sure, the default JPEG sharpening still leaves something to be desired, but thankfully it can be changed to the much better 'fine' or 'extra' sharpening setting.
High ISO performance is as good as APS-C can get, even rivaling some full-frame cameras towards the top of the ISO range.
"

Pentax KP Review: Digital Photography Review

{incidentally, my in my camera, I reduced default "sharpening" a notch}