Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That sounds like the viewpoint of a videographer.
Most {still} photographers prefect a tilty screen because it stays behind the camera in all positions.
I know I really like the one on my KP.
I like the KP screen as well....SInce I previously stated I use a DSLR for stills and a movie camera for movies, I have no issue with Pentax these days. The AF in the K-1 series is fast enough for me to capture excellent sport images, while th 36mp FF sensor is more than enough for the largest blow ups moat amateurs need. Anyway....

05-12-2020, 01:41 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That sounds like the viewpoint of a videographer.
Most {still} photographers prefect a tilty screen because it stays behind the camera in all positions.
I know I really like the one on my KP.
To me (stills only) the usability goes:
1. Cross-tilt: full 90º for low angle landscape-orientation shots, 45º for high landscape-orientation shots, low/high portrait-orientation shots and those "stretch your camera arm to a side because you're hiking and there's kind of a cliff there so you can't stay behind the camera" situations. It's as all-terrain as the K-1, I've used every feature of the screen . Being built like a tank is also a reassurance.
2. Tilt screen (KP-like): full 90º for both low and high angle landscape-orientation shots (so it's got one use case where it's better than the cross tilt) but doesn't have portrait-orientation usefulness.
3. Swivel screen (K-70 like): I guess this is the one you mean by fully articulated, but I'm not sure MJKoski means this or the K-1 type (which is also fully articulated if we get technical). This design has the most movement range (90º up and down in both landscape and portrait orientation) and is the best for video (since it allows self-recording) but it has to be flipped out and the swivel makes it frankly inconvenient to hold the camera with the screen pulled out to the side, particularly if you're lifting it overhead with a decently sized lens. Takes longer to set up than either of the others, too (although I don't think it makes a difference in getting the shot or not, you typically don't need the screen for fast reaction snaps).
4. Fixed screen: never again -for me. None of the usability at negligible improvements in durability (has anyone ever broken the articulation on a Pentax?) and barely noticeable decreases in weight/thickness when compared to a tilt screen. The Cross-tilt of the K-1 is certainly heavier and bulkier, though.

Last edited by Serkevan; 05-12-2020 at 01:53 AM.
05-12-2020, 04:25 AM - 3 Likes   #63
Veteran Member

So what's the point of joining PentaxForums when you encounter the flippy screen and video zealots everywhere.
05-12-2020, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
So what's the point of joining PentaxForums when you encounter the flippy screen and video zealots everywhere.
So Pentax cameras should never have any kind of movable screens?
Ricoh Imaging clearly disagreed when the K-1 actually innovated in that regard, though

I mean, if we want to remove features, why even have auto focus.

05-12-2020, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So Pentax cameras should never have any kind of movable screens?
Ricoh Imaging clearly disagreed when the K-1 actually innovated in that regard, though

I mean, if we want to remove features, why even have auto focus.
How exactly could a feature be removed if it wasn't there in the first place? I for one will buy the K-New whether it has an articulated screen or not.
05-12-2020, 05:37 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
How exactly could a feature be removed if it wasn't there in the first place? I for one will buy the K-New whether it has an articulated screen or not.
Removed in the sense of the 645Z, the K-S2, the K-70, the K-1 and the KP all having articulated screens. The K-new would be the only current camera not having one. Which is fine, really, since for the intended audience it's not a feature that is super needed... but then it's also slightly less of a generalist camera. To be clear, it's of course not a deal breaker for the majority of people who are in for it - but let's not pretend it's better for not having the feature.
And yes, I'm very aware that this is armchair discussion for me since I don't usually shoot action, and when I do the K-1 is plenty good... so I wasn't gonna get the K-New regardless

Last edited by Serkevan; 05-12-2020 at 05:43 AM.
05-12-2020, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I have a Samsung video camera that is the size of a SIGMA telephoto lens and provides high def video. I carry that in my camera kit case and when the need arises, I take perfectly clean video....I have never used my Pentax kits nor my Leica kits for video. In fact, i am glad that Leica has removed video from some of its cameras because it adds weight and unnecessary complications...cheers.
Generally what I am referring to are the ones who rely on DSLR's for video because they're cheap and they're a "production company" that can't afford a proper video camera.
There is a reason why we have a plethora of out-of-sync audio-video and this is why. Folks thinking that a DSLR has professional features and yet they don't allow you to clock video and audio with one external 'god clock' (as it is referred to in the industry). So to complain about something that, at best, is really only good for home-videos to begin with, is ludicrous. But to outright demand/slag/ridicule/hate on Pentax because of a minor feature that truly doesn't even come close to making it a pro video camera... no words.
Until a DSLR comes out with the ability to externally clock it with true Tri-level Sync...

05-12-2020, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
This I don't understand. I've been a member for quite sometime, and have not encountered this "everywhere". Only when I'm specifically looking for these two items, do I see it. Certainly far from "everywhere". Besides, I have a K3, and would love to have "the flippy screen"; to add in my photography.
05-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Removed in the sense of the 645Z, the K-S2, the K-70, the K-1 and the KP all having articulated screens. The K-new would be the only current camera not having one. Which is fine, really, since for the intended audience it's not a feature that is super needed... but then it's also slightly less of a generalist camera. To be clear, it's of course not a deal breaker for the majority of people who are in for it - but let's not pretend it's better for not having the feature.
And yes, I'm very aware that this is armchair discussion for me since I don't usually shoot action, and when I do the K-1 is plenty good... so I wasn't gonna get the K-New regardless
Yes and no, the 645Z has bigger sensor than K-1 which has a bigger sensor than APS range. Do anyone moan because they removed something ? Nope.
Now, this is half tongue in cheek comment as it is deliberately a bit provocative but not really wrong per se either IMO.
05-12-2020, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This I don't understand. I've been a member for quite sometime, and have not encountered this "everywhere". Only when I'm specifically looking for these two items, do I see it. Certainly far from "everywhere". Besides, I have a K3, and would love to have "the flippy screen"; to add in my photography.
The (hypothetic) problem is not that you'd like a flippy screen. I would like one but my K-5 is way to old.
It is the (sometimes and it depends from who) constant yes but the screen, if it has no flippy screen booooohaaaa shame on Pentax. This is idiotic as possible.
This extremist behaviour get people on nerves and once someone reasonably say he/she would have like a flippy screen, it guys fed up with the issue will react too sharply.
Culprits probaby on both sides IMO.

This is akin to mirrorless issue though most of those guys did in the end go buy their mirrorless and desert this place which in the end isn't the worst possible ending.

We need to move on on this screen issue and video issue as well btw. It actively poisons News and Rumors threads.
05-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #71
Veteran Member

It is lot more serious than it seems. If the new one does not have any kind of tilting/articulating screen, it means that Ricoh is overriding Pentax ergonomics step by step. Soon they look like big stick with K-mount on top - Theta Max.
05-12-2020, 02:00 PM - 4 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It is lot more serious than it seems. If the new one does not have any kind of tilting/articulating screen, it means that Ricoh is overriding Pentax ergonomics step by step. Soon they look like big stick with K-mount on top - Theta Max.
More nonsense.
There are 30 Pentax digital K-mount cameras (DSLRs + the K-01), from which only 6 have some form of articulated screen.
By no means articulated screen can be associated with "Pentax ergonomics".

And the prototype we've seen? Typical Pentax.
05-12-2020, 02:02 PM - 4 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Okay, this is far too extreme. While I agree that an articulated screen would be better, it really is no big deal to not have it, particularly for the users who are likely to get this camera (action shooters who will have the eye to the OVF most of the time).

---------- Post added 05-12-20 at 02:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And the prototype we've seen? Typical Pentax.
Absolutely agreed. The prototype certainly looks like a natural progression on the K-7 platform - it takes some styling cues from the K-1/KP (most notably the prism housing) but it's decidedly a Pentax camera. I doubt the ergonomics will be anything worse than excellent.
05-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Okay, this is far too extreme. While I agree that an articulated screen would be better, it really is no big deal to not have it, particularly for the users who are likely to get this camera (action shooters who will have the eye to the OVF most of the time).
See you responded to a post showing exactly what I described in my response to csa.
Then someone will argue that Alex (Kunzite) is overreacting. No wonder.

And again, and again...
05-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
See you responded to a post showing exactly what I described in my response to csa.
Then someone will argue that Alex (Kunzite) is overreacting. No wonder.

And again, and again...
This is precisely the effect a toxic forum member will have on an online community.
But it isn't the normal people's fault, even if we naturally react to this toxicity.