Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The other option, of course, is to just not say things that you know will be taken badly.
Yeah, but this has the disadvantage of having to be applied to everyone involved

06-11-2020, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #272
Pentaxian

So! Let's say this camera ends up meeting and/or even exceeding all your expectations. Will you buy the body alone or will you also be getting some lenses and/or other stuff with it?

I'll be getting it with the updated DA* 16-50mm PLM & the new DA* 11-18mm lenses. I'm hoping that the rest of the DA* lenses will eventually receive updates as well 'cause I would definitely like to get more.
06-11-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So! Let's say this camera ends up meeting and/or even exceeding all your expectations. Will you buy the body alone or will you also be getting some lenses and/or other stuff with it?

I'll be getting it with the updated DA* 16-50mm PLM & the new DA* 11-18mm lenses. I'm hoping that the rest of the DA* lenses will eventually receive updates as well 'cause I would definitely like to get more.
Yes, please rescue the thread from the detour I helped drag us into!

I will probably get the K-new, and I have some interest in the 16-50 PLM. I've been pondering a WR normal lens for a while, and haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I rented and liked the 16-85, but it's not small, and the aperture isn't all that wide. I liked the 20-40 well enough as a rental, and it's small-ish, and well built, but 20-40 isn't much of a range and it's still bigger than a prime. The 16-50 ticks a lot of those missing boxes and should be really fast to focus, but we don't know how much it'll cost or when it will be released. It may lag behind the K-new by many months.

So, I don't know. I might just buy a used 20-40 LTD.
06-11-2020, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's say this camera ends up meeting and/or even exceeding all your expectations. Will you buy the body alone or will you also be getting some lenses and/or other stuff with it?
My K-3II is still going strong so I'm not likely to jump in right away. But if the K-new looks good it will be on my shopping list. Possibly with the DA*11-18. I am a little leery of the PLM lenses because of the focus by wire thing. I'm sure they are fine, I just have horrible memories of focus by superzoom cameras that I cannot get past.

06-11-2020, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan to buy the K-New soon after its introduced and I have a good selection of Primes as well as the several zooms including the DA* 11-18 I won last year. My trusty K-3 is still rolling along with around 30,000 or so shutter actuations and my K-50 is still working nicely too so I really don't need a new camera but I "WANT" one. The DA* 16-50 PLM should be a stellar quick focusing lens if the 55-300 PLM is any gauge. I've been plane spotting the past few days with the 18-55 PLM tracking Marine T-45Cs shooting approaches at approach speeds of around 140 mph or so and the K-3 and PLM combo was able to easily track the aircraft inbound until the buffer filled at medium continuous drive starting from a distance of about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Shooting AFC and SEL9 there were very few misses and those were only caused by old shaky me and not the responsiveness of the K-3 and PLM. So if the K-New improves the AF I'll be a happy camper.
06-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am planning, for the first time, to get one of the pre-order deals. I have been waiting for this!

My K-10, K7, K5 and K3, I waited for a price drop. K3II I got second hand in 2017. But with this one, I think I will be in from the beginning.
06-12-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saved up for a replacement for my K3 which will be 7 years old this year. I don’t even think I had a film camera that long in pre digital days. However I ended up buying a 4x5 camera and a new FLM tripod so my desire for a new camera is slightly mitigated. Who am I kidding I look for new news about the K new almost every day.

06-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I saved up for a replacement for my K3 which will be 7 years old this year. I don’t even think I had a film camera that long in pre digital days
I am just the opposite.
I used my last two film cameras 12.5 {Pentax "Super Program"} and 11.5 {Canon EOS Elan} years respectively.
I still use the "Super Program" on occasion.
I have not used any digital camera even 6 years yet.
06-12-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #279
mee
Veteran Member

So if you say to somebody "you're ugly" it's not disrespectful or insulting? It's just "telling it like it is"?
No one made such a claim though so it isn't comparable. Please go back and re-read Thor's post and Kunzite's (to whom he was responding).

Thor was commenting on Kunzite's (pessimistic) outlook of focusing on what he perceives as the negative parts of the forum's content and explaining he has different reasons for how and why he posts. That's hardly being as insulting or disrespectful as calling someone ugly.

Sorry, but civility still has a place in this world. I'd like to think so, anyway, but I have to admit that I'm becoming more and more dubious every day.
I agree with civility and less authoritarianism. On the other hand, if we're not allowed to air how we feel, even in a civil manner (such as how Thor responded) where the viewpoints could be taken negatively, then we just end up in circular scenarios of continually readdressing the issues because we never took the time to fully address them.
06-12-2020, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Pentaxian

Guys, I wasn't offended... just sayin'
06-12-2020, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I plan to buy the K-New soon after its introduced and I have a good selection of Primes as well as the several zooms including the DA* 11-18 I won last year. My trusty K-3 is still rolling along with around 30,000 or so shutter actuations and my K-50 is still working nicely too so I really don't need a new camera but I "WANT" one. The DA* 16-50 PLM should be a stellar quick focusing lens if the 55-300 PLM is any gauge. I've been plane spotting the past few days with the 18-55 PLM tracking Marine T-45Cs shooting approaches at approach speeds of around 140 mph or so and the K-3 and PLM combo was able to easily track the aircraft inbound until the buffer filled at medium continuous drive starting from a distance of about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Shooting AFC and SEL9 there were very few misses and those were only caused by old shaky me and not the responsiveness of the K-3 and PLM. So if the K-New improves the AF I'll be a happy camper.
This K-new could be the very first Pentax camera that takes a MASSIVE leap forward in AF technology from previous generations. That joystick & the additional focus points are giving us a clue, not to mention that upcoming PLM lens. One can only imagine what they will do with upcoming APS-C & FF cameras in the future.

But yeah. We don't really know much about it other than the few things Ricoh has stated about the camera in their CP+ 2020 video. We'll find out how much development went into it once it's released 'cause you know that everyone & their grandma (DPR, Imaging-Resource, Fro, Angryman, Tony, Kai, & blah, blah, blah) are going to review, slam, and/or praise this camera once they get their hands on it. I have a feeling that everyone's going to test the crap out of it trying to find or prove the typical Pentax "weaknesses", since the guys at Ricoh have stated that everyone should have high expectations for it. Hahaha! Hopefully it will be released later this year if all goes well.
06-12-2020, 10:04 AM - 4 Likes   #282

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have not used any digital camera even 6 years yet.
I am using the K-3 for nearly 7 years by now.
It just goes on and on... Like the duracell rabbit.

And since the Pentax KP never meant an upgrade for me 'cause:
it misses a second card slot, its burst are slower and buffer isnt that deep,
plus the top is some kind of plastic
and it misses an info display so i cant shut off main LCD ... (no certainly no flagship)
... I just kept the K-3 for shooting APS-C and for more tele-reach.
and it still delivers nice shots even at motor-sports when combined with my 50-500, despite all the ridiculous not-for-sports talk, the Sony/milc fanboys like to spread.
Some of them even shoot an A7RII which actually delivers only 5fps which is a joke compared to the K-3s nearly 9fps... still they have their mouth wide open.
And then they even write in pentax specific groups on social networks or in forums and tell you how they like Pentax and what "weak spot" they have for it...
(weak... spot...) and do advertising for those eye-lazering EVF crap bodies that cant even stand one rainshower... thats soo ridiculous somehow.

So I really like that K-3 kit, you know... and I will keep using APS-C for a quick tour or maybe for travelling when on vacation...
So the ultrawide indeed IS an interesting thing for me.
But since "Squirrel Mafia" asked:
Would I upgrade something else than the short range lenses?
Probably not. ... no or honestly: definitly not.
I really dont think they have to upgrade the DA* 50-135mm for instance...
It would be far more intelligent to make something like the "Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 Di VC OSD" for FF... which is actually everything you will ever need when shooting a wedding...
(despite some ultra-wide-angle for group shots)
And though the Tamron already stops down to F:3.2 at already 50mm, I would say it can replace the DA* 50-150 to the fullest
and talking about full, it would be a hit for both, FF and APS-C photogs.
And it would only weigh app. 100grams more i guess.

Maybe it would make sense to build a really lightning fast and accurately focusing 50-200 PLM WR lens and pack it with a kit in the consumer follow-up of the K-new,
to better promote PENTAX (if you want to look at this brand like a system)
as more modern....

But I would leave it at that one lens, since the usual Pentax APS-C user seems to be totally satisfied with wirrionging and fuzzing screwdriver-af-driven prime lenses
of which most also arent weather resistant, but deliver astonishing good results.
And despite rebooting every Crop-Lens Design doesnt seem to be a good idea for several reasons
...which would not only mean a huge investment for Ricoh, but also one that is really hard to believe it would pay off.....
doing so would also counteract their affirmation that RICOH wants to concentrate a bit more on their FF sector in first place.
And concentrating on the FF market

or even releasing a consumer FF would be a way better Idea than pulverizing money on rebooting APS-C lenses.

The only chance i see for rebooting crop-glass to work out fine for RICOH and us their customers,
would be if they do these reboots on a real high quality level... with less pieces per series.
those reboots would have to be like the DA 20-40mm ltd somehow. construction wise...
AND that may be an idea that could mean success... though THAT may be even more risky than just rebooting cheap lenses (if you look at sheer numbers)
but that would not hurt PENTAXs reputation so much like a total fail AND cheap built lenses.

Additionally I gotta say, producing cheap but more would feed greedy trolls like this Northrup guy, because where other brands/makers can fail and everybody taps tham on their shoulders because they do a lot of advertising and presents to influencers...
Pentax always has to do it up to the 100% it seems ... Maybe that is because bribery aint in Ricohs List for a better world at the moment....
or I dont know why.
However, it seems to be a rule by now. Especially when I look at the latest issues of Northrup and the phoblographer...

where I dont leave on comment any more ....
But hey actually but maybe I should...
Since I really havent read much comments on those rants against pentax for whatever reason.
06-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good rant. Enjoyed that read.
06-12-2020, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably won’t buy this camera. KP meets my APSc needs and I’ll wait for the next FF camera, which I hope will inherit most or all of the new technology.

I plan to by the DFA21/x Limited. and preordered the DFA*85/1.4 though.
06-12-2020, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beetee Quote
So I really like that K-3 kit, you know... and I will keep using APS-C for a quick tour or maybe for travelling when on vacation...
Ya, there's the issue, the K-3 isn't that bad. They really have to do something to sell me a new body before it dies. With the K-3 I stand beside all those guy I see when I go out to popular shooting spot, and don't feel I'm at a disadvantage.... I'd like a better K-new, but I'm fine.

As for BiF photography, everyone knows Pentax is not as good as some for it... but if you look at the BiF thread 1000 likes, 1400 posts, 152,000 views...

Compared to the 300mm plus club 60,000 likes, 33,000 replies, over 3 million views if would seem BiF photography is a very small subset of bird photography being enjoyed by just a small fraction of bird photographers, forget about photographers in general. As I guy who shoots a lot of birds, my BiF opportunities are few and far between. I honestly wouldn't buy a specialized camera just to do it. For one thing, a K-3 does it. You may get more keepers with a different system, but you aren't completely incapable with a K-3.

And many of us have little use for "more keepers" If we get 10 good shots from session, we're happy, and we delete the rest in any case.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.