Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2020, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think now that I have a bit more experience with GRIII, I notice the differences with K-1 files much more. Dynamic range is probably the biggest thing. K-1 files are so flexible, it's crazy. It's hard to take a photo that's impossible to recover imo. +1/-1 has no impact on noise, +2/-2 are pretty minimal as well. You can pull shadows to +100 and see little to no impact.

GRIII gives me beautiful shots, especially when I get my exposure spot on, but RAW's are less flexible overall, plus I've noticed that at least with GW-4 I get less resolution on detail. Looking at it in a browser, or in my file manager, it's less obvious, but I do notice it when I'm working on files (zooming in and out to work on different parts of the image etc). Maybe that's just the GW-4 though, I need to compare to shots taken without it.

I'd be interested to play with K-new raw's when someone will share them, to see how they stack up to my K-1.

08-18-2020, 01:40 PM - 4 Likes   #437
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
K-1 II is $1,800 at BH. I get APS-C is a different market, and yes K-1 II is relatively speaking outdated. But - when the new APS-C comes out costing near $2,000, I would think that some prospective buyers of the new APS-C will stop in their tracks and ponder maybe for a fleeting moment. When I look at my files shot with my K-1, not K-1 II, I see zero need to upgrade, at all. I also get that these folks with DA lenses only without having no FF lenses and their needs - but pricing the flagship APS-C higher than the market price of existing FF model seems very counterintuitive and counterproductive.
I don't recall what I paid for my K1, but I am fairly certain the price has dropped somewhat. I think we have to get used to the fact that new cameras are going to cost more than cameras that have been on the market for several years presuming similar features and build, even if the format is one size down.
It's a fast shrinking market, camera makers have to spread their costs across a smaller number of sales now than they did a few years ago.
If they price their new APS-C flagship higher than the K1, it's because they feel they need to price it there to recoup their investment based on projected sales, and I strongly doubt that a couple of hundred dollars less on the retail end would generate sufficient sales to make up for the dollar loss suffered on a per unit basis.
I took a seminar a number of year ago from a local portrait photographer of some renown. One of the asides he came up with (the best stuff is always the off the cuff comments, it seems) was that a 10% price drop means you need a 40% volume increase to net back the money.
Do you think dropping the price of a Pentax APS-C SLR 10% will net them a 40% increase in sales of that camera? I have my doubts.
What if they drop the price 20% so it is a couple of hundred less than the K1? Will that double their sales? It would need to if they want to make some money on the camera through it's production cycle.
I've seen what happens to companies that go cheap on price when the going gets tough. I worked for one 25 years ago. It doesn't help them to do anything other than go out of business.
Pentax did it to themselves 15 years ago. Now they are a name on Ricoh's spread sheet.
It's unlikely that Ricoh will repeat that mistake.
08-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't recall what I paid for my K1, but I am fairly certain the price has dropped somewhat. I think we have to get used to the fact that new cameras are going to cost more than cameras that have been on the market for several years presuming similar features and build, even if the format is one size down.
It's a fast shrinking market, camera makers have to spread their costs across a smaller number of sales now than they did a few years ago.
If they price their new APS-C flagship higher than the K1, it's because they feel they need to price it there to recoup their investment based on projected sales, and I strongly doubt that a couple of hundred dollars less on the retail end would generate sufficient sales to make up for the dollar loss suffered on a per unit basis.
I took a seminar a number of year ago from a local portrait photographer of some renown. One of the asides he came up with (the best stuff is always the off the cuff comments, it seems) was that a 10% price drop means you need a 40% volume increase to net back the money.
Do you think dropping the price of a Pentax APS-C SLR 10% will net them a 40% increase in sales of that camera? I have my doubts.
What if they drop the price 20% so it is a couple of hundred less than the K1? Will that double their sales? It would need to if they want to make some money on the camera through it's production cycle.
I've seen what happens to companies that go cheap on price when the going gets tough. I worked for one 25 years ago. It doesn't help them to do anything other than go out of business.
Pentax did it to themselves 15 years ago. Now they are a name on Ricoh's spread sheet.
It's unlikely that Ricoh will repeat that mistake.
For me it would be a hard choice, I have a good APS-C camera. I have held off waiting on a reason to upgrade. I’m afraid if the pricing is close enough I may go FF with my next purchase. I have enough good glass to work with FF and still use my K5iis when needed.

JJ
08-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #439

I remember when the K-5 came out with the biggest jump in sensor quality and was priced at $1599 body only. It took a few years before the price was low enough for me to afford.
I think that was the highest priced asp-c camera on rollout since. Does anyone know what the k-7 price was on rollout.?

If the Kaf comes out at 1800 ish I am hoping the price hike will correspond directly to the quality of autofocus and not to a lot of gimmicks that most won't use.
Though it too will probably take a few years before the price comes down enough for me to afford it.
Joe

08-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
I remember when the K-5 came out with the biggest jump in sensor quality and was priced at $1599 body only. It took a few years before the price was low enough for me to afford.
I think that was the highest priced asp-c camera on rollout since. Does anyone know what the k-7 price was on rollout.?

If the Kaf comes out at 1800 ish I am hoping the price hike will correspond directly to the quality of autofocus and not to a lot of gimmicks that most won't use.
Though it too will probably take a few years before the price comes down enough for me to afford it.
Joe
I have a few years left on my K-3, so no problem there, at least not for me.

In fact I'm thinking of waiting until a few come up on the market used with low shutter counts. That might be the way to go. Looking at 200,000 total exposures, 2000-4000 exposures on a camera is next to nothing.
08-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #441
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In 2015, I was certain I would buy a K-S2 to learn photography. Before I got the K-S2, I bought a *ist DS. I've also owned a K-X. I've since sold the *ist and the K-X. I got a K-5 relatively recently..

Even the specs between the K-S2 and K-70 make me jealous..

I am desperate for an upgrade. Knowing the K-new is coming is holding me off on getting a K-3ii...
08-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #442
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-7 was 1300 (or was it 1200?) € at introduction.

IIf the Kaf comes out at 1800 ish I am hoping the price hike will correspond directly to the quality of autofocus and not to a lot of gimmicks that most won't use.
Joe
Well, your gimmick might be another guy tool so there's that.

I will certainly not be able to afford that one.

08-19-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #443
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a few years left on my K-3, so no problem there, at least not for me.

In fact I'm thinking of waiting until a few come up on the market used with low shutter counts. That might be the way to go. Looking at 200,000 total exposures, 2000-4000 exposures on a camera is next to nothing.
I might wait until the K-new II to get that articulating screen. I'm quite happy with the K3.
08-19-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete82 Quote
I might wait until the K-new II to get that articulating screen. I'm quite happy with the K3.
Articulating screen and GPS.
08-19-2020, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #445

Thibs,That is so true!
If they don't improve autofocus to what most pentaxians believe it should be then it is not worth the huge price hike. My only Point.

That being said, I love my k-3II and the autofocus works good for me. I also have a nikon 7100 that is faster autofocus but not necessarily better.
For birds in trees and bushes the pentax usually wins.
For Bif its a toss-up which one produces the best image, but the nikon does acquire focus faster.
Joe
08-19-2020, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #446
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
'Currently the successor to K-3 II is making progress, it seems to be progressing smoothly, I'm excited and thrilled.'
The Japanese ends with "wakuwaku tanoshimi" which I'd translate as "trembling with happy excitement" or possibly "trembling with happy anticipation".
08-19-2020, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #447
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The Japanese ends with "wakuwaku tanoshimi" which I'd translate as "trembling with happy excitement" or possibly "trembling with happy anticipation".
I can't wait either!

08-19-2020, 11:39 PM - 4 Likes   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I can't wait either!
The K-3II successor Pentaxforum experience is more like ...
08-20-2020, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #449
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-3II successor Pentaxforum experience is more like ...
In our family we have the term "Italian half hour" which is at least one hour long. It stems from my kids asking "are we there yet?" while we were driving to a place in Italy many years ago, and at some point I was silly enough to answer "only half an hour to go now!".

Waiting for new Pentax products tends to involve "Italian half years"
08-20-2020, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #450

Photos: Gallery
On the trek to Machu Picchu the guide was quick to say "don't ever ask, how far is there to go?"
Nearly there!