Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@pqberger - nice find, thanks

I do not mind as much lack of tilting screen, never used one so I do not know what I miss But I wonder why there is no dedicated Pentax chimney viewfinder, making one mounted on the standard viewfinder should not be that problematic and would solve at least some problems generated by lack of tilting screen.

09-04-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #497
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Hope is 4k 60p h265 10bit, If not, Im leaving Pentax behind.
Trying to squeeze 4k from a 24 megapixel sensor does not make sense.
09-04-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
So the flippy screen debate can rest..... it would have been nice but it's fixed.

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official
It is good to find the cow after avoiding the BS . Flippy screen is something I need like a third nostril . Thanks for some definate info sir .
09-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So far, I' can't discern exactly what it's designed for. There's no information on AF, buffer size, the rate at which the buffer clears etc.
They haven't directly said yet, but we can make some reasonable implications from what they've said:

- The videos have talked a good bit about "dynamism" as opposed to field or landscape or portraits

- It has an autofocus joystick

- It has new image processing engine and other guts, presumably for better performance from things like buffer, but also high ISO and autofocus

Ooku has referenced out-doing the D500 multiple times.

Pentax has fairly recently released the 55-300 PLM, and is soon going to release the 16-50 PLM, both very fast focusing lenses.

As an 20-something MP APS-C camera it will have some inherent advantages over full frame in both reach and speed to transfer its smaller files.

We'll know for sure in a few weeks or months, but all of this is pointing towards the most action/sports/birding oriented Pentax ever.

09-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
It is good to find the cow after avoiding the BS . Flippy screen is something I need like a third nostril . Thanks for some definate info sir .
Speaking from experience, you won’t know you need it until you do need it.

I took a picture over a chain-link fence; I struggled to see the LCD at that angle, until I suddenly remembered that my KP does have a LCD that tilts
09-04-2020, 12:17 PM - 5 Likes   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
It is good to find the cow after avoiding the BS . Flippy screen is something I need like a third nostril .
Agree with @reh321. I derided all forms of flippy screens until I bought the K-1. And then had to eat my own words as I find it quite useful. I generally shoot with both K-3II and K-1II and find myself occasionally missing the flippy screen when I shift to K-3II.

That said, most of the time the K-3II is used in situations where I don't have a need for a flippy screen. And I suspect the K-new will be the same. For me a flippy screen on the K-1II "field camera" is very useful. On a K-3II replacement, at least for my use case, it would be nice but only occasionally. And certainly not worth worrying about.

The only really important thing in all this is that Pentax is releasing a NEW, APS-C, K-MOUNT, FLAGSHIP, camera. Personally I think we should all stop the wailing and gnashing of teeth over little details and just be happy that K-mount lives.

#K-mountlives
09-04-2020, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I took a picture over a chain-link fence; I struggled to see the LCD at that angle, until I suddenly remembered that my KP does have a LCD that tilts
There are a number of photos that are easier or made possible with moveable LCD without a doubt . Such flexibility is not without great utility for the widest variety of situations .

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree with @reh321. I derided all forms of flippy screens until I bought the K-1. And then had to eat my own words as I find it quite useful. I generally shoot with both K-3II and K-1II and find myself occasionally missing the flippy screen when I shift to K-3II.

That said, most of the time the K-3II is used in situations where I don't have a need for a flippy screen. And I suspect the K-new will be the same. For me a flippy screen on the K-1II "field camera" is very useful. On a K-3II replacement, at least for my use case, it would be nice but only occasionally. And certainly not worth worrying about.

The only really important thing in all this is that Pentax is releasing a NEW, APS-C, K-MOUNT, FLAGSHIP, camera. Personally I think we should all stop the wailing and gnashing of teeth over little details and just be happy that K-mount lives.

#K-mountlives
I failed to express adequate regard for fellow Pentax users purposes for which I sincerely apologize . Daily photos are submitted to this forum that are amazing and beyond my ability . We can all use a brighter easier to use optical viewfinder but my desire to capture birds in flight or otherwise is not the vision of all other photographers . Pentax can do well without foolish comments from me .

09-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Isn't 4k about 8MP?
09-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Wait, what? A 12 MP sensor can get you 4K (which is typically 3840 × 2160 pixels) and, in fact, is the resolution that Sony chose for their A7Siii (which does 4k120p). Most 4K cameras are around 20-24 MP: A 24 MP camera gets 6000x4000 pixels so there's a good deal of downsampling room. Getting to 60 fps is another story altogether.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Isn't 4k about 8MP?
Yes but on a 16:9 aspect ratio. On a 3:2 camera you'd need about 10.6 MP (which is still much lower than available).
09-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #505
Veteran Member

For me....this camera has a chance of being connected to my DFA 150-450.... hopefully it has been worth waiting 5 years for.... just needs to nail the stuff Norm outlined..... and maybe a few more pixles would be nice for the fairy wren shots.
09-04-2020, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For those of who started with a twin lens reflex and waste level viewfinders, it lets us emulate our first cameras. I guess younger shooters don't have the same level of comfort with that shooting style.
And when the K-1 firmware update let us shoot square pictures, I was very happy (even if I rarely do it).

Though, weirdly, nobody has complained that the K1 square format images in live view are backwards from all the TLRs

-Eric
09-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #507
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
For me....this camera has a chance of being connected to my DFA 150-450.... hopefully it has been worth waiting 5 years for.... just needs to nail the stuff Norm outlined..... and maybe a few more pixles would be nice for the fairy wren shots.
Hi Noel

You just need a punt for the Currency ....... to get closer........... the K new would also be nice,......

Dave
ps .... be down your way in 2 weeks ..... are you in the local camera club ?
09-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I purchased my KP on Black Friday, 2018. After doing some thinking, I found the photos I took over a chain link fence - it was about six months later in May, 2019.
SD-40's at Work - PentaxForums.com
The first two photos were taken with the OVF; the second two are the ones which were taken over my head using LV on the tilting LCD.
09-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Noel

You just need a punt for the Currency ....... to get closer........... the K new would also be nice,......

Dave
ps .... be down your way in 2 weeks ..... are you in the local camera club ?
hahah... I'm up your way tomorrow.... van packed and wife and I are heading north. Tried the local club a few years ago.... but turns out I'm not a club kind of guy! It was all mostly competition... and I'm not into photography to compete. What are you doing down this way Dave?
09-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #510
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
hahah... I'm up your way tomorrow.... van packed and wife and I are heading north. Tried the local club a few years ago.... but turns out I'm not a club kind of guy! It was all mostly competition... and I'm not into photography to compete. What are you doing down this way Dave?
Hi Noel

Camera club annual holiday , this time in Goolwa. I just do the holidays and outings work gets in the way for meetings.
Flinders again ?

Dave