Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 02:51 AM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Noel

Camera club annual holiday , this time in Goolwa. I just do the holidays and outings work gets in the way for meetings.
Flinders again ?

Dave
Cool.... might be back in 2 -3 weeks.... how long are you going to be here?

09-05-2020, 03:09 AM   #512
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Cool.... might be back in 2 -3 weeks.... how long are you going to be here?
Hi Noel

Fri 18 th - Mon 21 st. staying at the Goolwa camping & tourist park.
If Clare is on your route we can meet for a coffee tomorrow ( do you still have my mobile number )
On topic the K new is a possible.

Dave
09-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #513
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I second that. I've got insane GAS for this camera.
I think there's medicine for that?
09-05-2020, 07:45 AM - 6 Likes   #514

I've got a prescription for a K-new, but there are none in stock.

09-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
@pqberger - nice find, thanks

I do not mind as much lack of tilting screen, never used one so I do not know what I miss But I wonder why there is no dedicated Pentax chimney viewfinder, making one mounted on the standard viewfinder should not be that problematic and would solve at least some problems generated by lack of tilting screen.
You mean some thing like this:
Ziv Right Angle Viewfinder for Select Nikon, Canon, Leica, RAVF I have a Pentax one from my film days. Joe
09-05-2020, 09:10 AM - 3 Likes   #516
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joehenryd Quote
Ziv Right Angle Viewfinder for Select Nikon, Canon, Leica, RAVF I have a Pentax one from my film days. Joe
I have the Pentax version, I haven't used it since I got the K-1 and the wild screen. The tilt screen is a much more elegant solution.
09-05-2020, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have the Pentax version, I haven't used it since I got the K-1 and the wild screen. The tilt screen is a much more elegant solution.
Especially when trying to get an overhead shot

09-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Wait, what? A 12 MP sensor can get you 4K (which is typically 3840 × 2160 pixels) and, in fact, is the resolution that Sony chose for their A7Siii (which does 4k120p). Most 4K cameras are around 20-24 MP: A 24 MP camera gets 6000x4000 pixels so there's a good deal of downsampling room. Getting to 60 fps is another story altogether.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 05:53 PM ----------

Yes but on a 16:9 aspect ratio. On a 3:2 camera you'd need about 10.6 MP (which is still much lower than available).
Only if we ignore demosaicking. To reach uninterpolated 4k, assuming your sensor is 3:2, you need about 40 megapixels in Bayer-land.
09-05-2020, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Only if we ignore demosaicking. To reach uninterpolated 4k, assuming your sensor is 3:2, you need about 40 megapixels in Bayer-land.
But why would you do that? What's in it for us?

The difference between Bayer and and Pixel shift is rarely even noticeable, and almost never noticeable without direct comparison.... Bayer is pretty good.
09-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
True, but that's not stopping people from making very good looking videos with 20 MP cameras. Most people won't notice the difference and those who do should buy an Ursa.

---------- Post added 09-05-20 at 12:07 PM ----------

The difference between Bayer and and Pixel shift is rarely even noticeable, and almost never noticeable without direct comparison.... Bayer is pretty good.
Yeah, IME Pixel Shift is noticeable mostly for fine patterns, but I barely ever use it because I don't quite shoot anything that needs such level of detail... I think the only time I used a pixel shift image was some macro shot at work because my highest mag lens is 0.5x and wanted the extra oomph. The Bayer pattern works fairly well honestly, the Leica Monochrom has some more resolving power but it isn't that much of an improvement over, say, the D850.
09-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
True, but that's not stopping people from making very good looking videos with 20 MP cameras. Most people won't notice the difference and those who do should buy an Ursa.
Yes, the Ursa Mini Pro 12K will get you there.
09-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #522
Pentaxian

I think you may have just made my point for me - Bayer is sort of the equivalent of scaling PS down and back up again. Or, if that's an easier path, PS is a bit like scaling down from a higher Bayer resolution.

The longer version of my reply is, fortunately or unfortunately, in the process of turning in to an article, not to be finished tonight, it seems.
09-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joehenryd Quote
Yes, sometging like this, but made by Pentax. Idealy it would replacement for pentaprism mounted on top of camera, but price would be overwhelming. So such add on is also ok. Cameras have also USB and HDMI ports so making a secondary screen (even weatherproof) for those who need it should not be an issue too. Or something what Sony does with their newest smartphones - ability to see the camera image on phone screen. But well, I am happy that we will get new APS-C even without all this stuff.
09-15-2020, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #524
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It's going to be a great camera. The only question mark is going to be the autofocus.
I wrote something there: Patents possibly linked to the APS-C flagship - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
09-16-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #525
Forum Member

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

Quote: " ... ... " That’s why PENTAX decided to equip this new camera with a fixed-type 3.2-inch monitor. ..."

Incredible. This means that the camera is not easy to use near the ground or on the copy stand. How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?